ForumsThe TavernComputer Gadgets and Toys

128 84475
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I bought many toys for my computers over the years and I don't include the computers (9) and laptops (3).

I made a list of my favorite ones.

1- ADVC 100 by Canopus
http://dv411.com/canopusadvc100.html#specs

I bought it to digitize my VHS movies to DVD.
The version I have was purchased on the Internet and it has a button to disable the Macrovison (crap used to prevent making copies). I even used to record movies or shows from Hulu by connecting my two computers and recording on the 2nd one.
That was a great device. I still have the original box and accessories.

2- Fusion HDTV 3 QAM gold from Dvico
http://www.dvico.com/products_mul_hd3.html

I used it to capture HD videos from cable over the air.
I had a great time with this toy!

3- ION Turntable
http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/ttusb

I bought it to digitize my vinyls via USB on my computer.
It comes with a free editing software to help remove scratches, pops, clicks and background noise.

4 - HD PVR by Hauppauge
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

Even better than my ADVC 100! It can record HDTV straight to my computer and the quality is amazing! My favorite toy so far!

5 - WD Live TV Hub
http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=570

I can watch TV online, play games, watch my own videos, play my music, look at pictures, etc.

Here's my next gadget I want to buy!
http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/dragonfly-dac

Okay that's it! What's your favorite computer toy?

• 128 Replies
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

Whew, like jet engines much? 120mm's are loud, 80mm's even moreso.

You should get a case with a bunch of 200mm's. More airflow and quieter

Its normally the make of the fan that will have an affect on the noise it makes because you can get an 80mm with a 15 db sound level.

The best fans I can find are sickleflow 120mm fans they have 69cfm 19dband 2000rpm which means they push out alot of air and are very quiet and only cost £6 I have one now and when I get my new case I plan on getting some more.
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

Can someone tell me which case they think is better this oneor this one.

The stacker 831 should be £80 and is on offer for £55 the same price as the 690II which should be £65 so should I go with the stacker just because it should be more because I'm not sure which is better I think they both look cool and both take a lot of fans someone help me decide.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Can someone tell me which case they think is better this oneor this one.

I like both but the first one looks cool to me.
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

I am going to take you word on them being cool to you and having a lot of fans.

My personal opinion is get the FULL TOWER!

A full tower is bigger than a mid tower.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

My personal opinion is get the FULL TOWER!

Sure, a full tower is better because it has more room to help cooling and for expansion.
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

This will turn out large, but the larger the better!
Get it?

http://assets.overclock.net.s3.amazonaws.com/f/f7/f764da14_vbattach79168.jpeg

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Hey, I have a question. What sort of laptop would be good to work with a capture card? how much space do I need? And what is one that works well to make movies ex.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Hey, I have a question. What sort of laptop would be good to work with a capture card? how much space do I need? And what is one that works well to make movies ex.

Just get a laptop with at least 3GB of memory and a decent processor.
You don't need a top of the line one.
I use a laptop with the HD PVR mentioned on page one of this thread and it works great. I have a 350 GB hard drive. I'm not at home right now so I can't tell you the specifications anyway.
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

@pickpocket

I would say for bare minimum
100GB HDD
2GB Ram
2GHz dual core
Dedicated graphics

Recommended
250GB HDD
4GB Ram
2GHz quad core or 2.5GHz dual core
Dedicated graphics

Obviously anymore the better but thats what I would recommend if you aren't sure about graphics cards just stay away from intel they suck balls and heres a link to a rough guide of laptop graphics cards I would use to base how good they are (It's an fps chart but it still gives a rough guide to which is better)

If you want tell me your budget and I'll find a few I think are good for you.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I dont have much of a budget. Its a gift for my birthday. Needless to say, its the only gift I get. I dont know much about prices for laptops, but id say nothing more than 400.

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Dedicated graphics

Dedicated graphics!
Never get integrated! Since they will come on the processor chip and most of them are usually weak. So now you have to replace your processor and your graphics card since you got the integrated ones.

Also the capture card will cost you some money. Have you thought of using some of the other free screen capturing softwares?

Recommended
250GB HDD
4GB Ram
2GHz quad core or 2.5GHz dual core
Dedicated graphics

This kid, I knew was able to run Minecraft, HyperCam, and Skype at the same time. He was on a group chat and was recording the audio and visual at the same time with HyperCam. (MC full settings basically...)
He had about 1.50~2.00 GHZ! It was pretty crazy...

I chose the wrong laptop once and with a extremely bad integrated graphics card and I couldn't run SKYPE all alone!

-_- Graphics Cards. Gotta pick a good one. If you want gaming for Nvidia/AMD. (AMD processors tend to do better with gaming than Intel usually too!)
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Also the capture card will cost you some money. Have you thought of using some of the other free screen capturing softwares?

I use free software right now. It can only record 30 seconds per clip. Which is why im going to get a capture card, but before that I need a laptop.
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

I use free software right now. It can only record 30 seconds per clip. Which is why im going to get a capture card, but before that I need a laptop.

pickpocket, your not going to get much better then what you have unless your buget goes upwards of 500. people aren't going to come up with that money for your birthday.i do know a good laptop with windows 7 pro costs around 500. ultimate probably another 50. you need to save alot more before you can get something good.
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

30 seconds per clip? You kidding me?

There are free recorders that record as long as you can hold the storage!

Fraps (Free I believe), Hypercam (Free), Techsmith Camstasia (Free trial), or you can pay for the est. $600.00 version for Sony Vegas?
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Fraps (Free I believe), Hypercam (Free), Techsmith Camstasia (Free trial), or you can pay for the est. $600.00 version for Sony Vegas?

Get the Hauppauge HD-PVR for about $300 instead. It is compatible with PC and Mac BTW.
Showing 16-30 of 128