ForumsWEPRShould they start serving alcohol at McDonald's ?

85 22822
Mycal101
Mycal101
307 posts
Nomad

I would go there a lot more often if they did

• 85 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

So not only will America be the fattest nation, they'll also be the drunkest?

I can see it now: A lot of obese drunk people stumbling around and car accidents rising.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Germany serves beer there.....

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Oh, yes. Let's do as bars, restaurants and clubs do; serve alcohol! Especially since five year olds are usually there! While we're at it, shall we let minors drink?

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

Why not? If the age of the customer is above the legal drinking age, I don't see any problem. By the way, in Spain they serve beer too.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

If the age of the customer is above the legal drinking age, I don't see any problem. By the way, in Spain they serve beer too.

I don't have much faith that my fellow Americans will control themselves. To become the fattest country in the world, I can't expect them to control their drinking.

The difference between fast food places and bars is that there aren't as many bars around. Where I live there're over 10 fast food restaurants in a 1 mile radius, no bars. There are also several schools in that radius, so I expect the worse if they decide to serve alcohol.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Ghost's reasoning is infallible and indefatigable. Imagine what would happen if some kids went to a McDonalds after school? Or what if the McDonalds was NEXT to a school!

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Ghost's reasoning is infallible and indefatigable. Imagine what would happen if some kids went to a McDonalds after school? Or what if the McDonalds was NEXT to a school!

Would depend on the type of school and the age range, as kids would still need to be of a legal age.

The difference between fast food places and bars is that there aren't as many bars around. Where I live there're over 10 fast food restaurants in a 1 mile radius, no bars

Depends where you live though. Where i live (at home, not here) there nearest McDs is like a 20 minute drive, yet within a five minute walk there's six bars.
kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

If kids go to a McDonalds that serves alcohol, the staff working there shouldn't serve any to them. Or ask for the identity card to verify the age in case of doubt. Are you suggesting that they could be able to buy alcoholic drinks regardless their age?

Honestly, I have no idea how things work in America, but here we don't have drunk kids on the streets due to fact that McDonalds serves alcohol.

AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Honestly, I have no idea how things work in America, but here we don't have drunk kids on the streets due to fact that McDonalds serves alcohol.

That is why McDonald's shouldn't start serving alcohol since that will happen to America.

If kids go to a McDonalds that serves alcohol, the staff working there shouldn't serve any to them. Or ask for the identity card to verify the age in case of doubt. Are you suggesting that they could be able to buy alcoholic drinks regardless their age?

Yes a lot of kids nowadays buy tobacco and alcohol since the clerk does some under-the-table business. They also get fake identity cards.

Also McDonald's would lose a huge block of little kids' parents' money, since McDonald's would no longer be able to serve little kids when there are drunk bums stumbling around the play-place.
Stratosphere
Stratosphere
10 posts
Nomad

Even if McDonalds checked to make sure minors didn`t drink, it would set a bad influence on the four year old kids playing where they could see adults drinking.

Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

I can see it now: A lot of obese drunk people stumbling around
Just seeing that would totally be worth it.
In all seriousness, very bad idea. Kids go to McDonald's. Can you imagine a toddler getting accidentally hit with a chair by a drunk guy in a fight with another drunk guy? Lawyers would have a field day.
psychoraven
psychoraven
311 posts
Peasant

i think not cause it would definitely make it less kid-friendly

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

While we're at it, shall we let minors drink?

Nice slippery-slope fallacy there, Masterforger.

Yes a lot of kids nowadays buy tobacco and alcohol since the clerk does some under-the-table business. They also get fake identity cards.

I doubt this is as frequent as you say it is. I also doubt children would go through the trouble of getting identity cards and instead have adult friends help serve them alcohol or, as you noted, clerks allowing sale to minors.

it would set a bad influence on the four year old kids playing where they could see adults drinking.

Does the same not apply to sit-in restaurants with bars set at the very center of the room?

Can you imagine a toddler getting accidentally hit with a chair by a drunk guy in a fight with another drunk guy?

I can imagine this, since this can still happen in restaurants, albeit less likely.

---------------------------

Moving to WEPR; looks like a very tasty thread to add.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

In some countries in europe (germany, netherlands, etc) they (and other fast food restaurants too, like burger king) serve beer

no not in the netherlands. and sofar i know also not in germany.

why do you make this up?
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

from what I can tell, mcdonalds loves their customer's money. if they allow alcohol, then they will definitely gain a following for late night patrons, but I doubt they will lose family patrons because of the fact that they will want to do everything it takes to prevent minors from getting into the booze, so that they may prevent lawsuits.

overall: I don't really see too many negative consequences in this situation.

-Blade

Showing 1-15 of 85