ForumsWEPRShould they start serving alcohol at McDonald's ?

85 22821
Mycal101
Mycal101
307 posts
Nomad

I would go there a lot more often if they did

• 85 Replies
AatosLiukkonen
AatosLiukkonen
66 posts
Nomad

I highly doubt people will go to McDonald's JUST to drink. There are bars and pubs for that, and those are significantly more entertaining for an adult than a McDonald's would be.

A beer with a burger is about as American as it gets, so I don't see why not either.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I don't see a reason why they shouldn't be able to, but it should be limited. Like, only one drink (not a large cup size) if you go inside, and none from the drive through.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

if they allow alcohol, then they will definitely gain a following for late night patrons

Except at most McD's only the drive thru is open late, and it's almost nationally illegal to have open alcohol in vehicles.

Yes a lot of kids nowadays buy tobacco and alcohol since the clerk does some under-the-table business.

It would be nearly impossible for a cashier at McD's to pull anything, considering there's cameras pointed at them at all times. Why would they risk getting fired, a criminal record, and jail time to give a kid a cheap beer?
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

The biggest issue that hasn't been pointed out is that a vast majority of the employees McDonald's hires tend to be high school kids, who are for the most part under eighteen and therefore unable to serve alcohol legally. Combine that with the legal and moral implications of a fast food restaurant that's built an image around catering to children, alcohol is a supremely bad idea.

And more to the point, isn't the food at McDonald's unhealthy enough before you add alcohol to the mix?

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

The biggest issue that hasn't been pointed out is that a vast majority of the employees McDonald's hires tend to be high school kids, who are for the most part under eighteen and therefore unable to serve alcohol legally.

then to solve that issue, they just make them fry cooks until 18 where they can become servers.

Combine that with the legal and moral implications of a fast food restaurant that's built an image around catering to children, alcohol is a supremely bad idea.

just change the terminology a little, and some people won't know the difference. besides, only ultra-conservative "just my son looking at beer underage makes him a sinnner" type people will actually care.

And more to the point, isn't the food at McDonald's unhealthy enough before you add alcohol to the mix?

true, but we've known for a while that they were bad, and some have gotten over the stigma. most of the people who don't care tend to also not care about their health choices. I think this won't cause any major differences.

-Blade
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Okay, in response to many of the comments so far:
One beer doesn't make you go into rage mode and start attacking the nearest infant. Two beers don't either. Nor do three beers. or four. Many adults have a beer at dinner, its not really a big deal. There is a huge difference between a restaurant that serves alcohol and a seedy bar.

The real problem here is exactly what Kyouzou said: minors can't serve alcohol. As a past employee of Mickey D's, I can assure you that this would be a serious problem at many locations. You only need a few people working grill because the food is so simple and easy to prepare. Taking orders and payment is actually more time intensive than making the food, so more people work up front.

An obvious workaround would be to have an automated beer server like what they do for the drive-thru soft drinks. At the front counter, the machine would have a scanning device for I.D's. Then, the customer would enter their drink order, and BAM you get a beer. Since you would have to scan your I.D. for EACH drink, this would also be an effective way to limit consumption of alcohol, and reduce the risk of people buying drinks for minors.

I think that it would be wise to avoid hard alcohol, and just stick to beer, twisted tea, hard lemonade/cider (ooooh seasonal options) and the like. McDonald's could even make their own alcohol in order to maximize profits.

keeton52
keeton52
928 posts
Nomad

I vote that they just...destroy McDonald's. Every one of them. Burger King, Taco Bell, Wendy's, All fast food in general. Now by no means am I saying cost us thousands of jobs, no, just saying why not actually bring back real food?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Because this is now your "real" food. Because McDonalds responds to the demand for it's food. We need to look at ourselves before we play musical blaming chairs.

Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

My answer here: No freaking way. I will never drink alcahol in my whole life. Why? When im going to have a car, im not going to be able to drink. Alcahols taste is horrible. When you yesterday have a party with alcahol then tomorrow morning your head will really hurt. There are massive possibilities that i will be so drunken that i will want more and more until... well. The bad part of the alcahol comes. Also. I do not want to see drunken people in my favorite burger store. McDonald is for burgers and fries. No alcahol. It will ruin everything.

-Jeff

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Jeff? Restaurants also serve alcohol. You don't see a lot of drunk people in restaurants do you?

If you know that you couldn't stay reasonable about your personal alcohol consumption, then I compliment you on your decision to stay away from it. But a glass of wine or a beer does not make you drunk, and most people do not mind or even enjoy a bit of alcohol.

Though I agree that it sounds a bit strange to have a fast food chain serve alcohol. I don't know how it is in the locals that already serve beer, but I guess it might raise younger people's alcohol consumption marginally. But as long as the local serves only beer and soft alcohol, doesn't give any to underage people, and throw out drunks, I don't see a legitimate reason to prohibit it.

Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

Hahiha.
McDonald is not a restaurant if you havent realised. Resaurants are made to serve alcohols. McDonald is made to serve burgers. In restaurants people behave like respectable persons. In McDonald people just dont have limits of their behaviors (well unless they go mad and rage or something) forexample restaurants arent places where just random people com in and just buy a tasty snack. McDonald is. So basically from restaurants McDonald is different, alot different. So McDonald should just keep as it is because it looks fine. If someone would want alcohol, why wouldnt they just go in a random bar?

-Jeff

keeton52
keeton52
928 posts
Nomad

Because this is now your "real" food. Because McDonalds responds to the demand for it's food. We need to look at ourselves before we play musical blaming chairs.

You don't have to tell me like I don't get it.

I'll just go on full terrorist and start blowing up every fast food joint I see. I don't even care about who's in it, America needs the "trim" anyway. (That was, of course, a dark joke)

I do admit to not being a good weight but It's my own laziness I blame. I hate fast food.

On the topic of Alcohol, I'll be 21 soon. Really won't let this go by in a boring way.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

The biggest issue that hasn't been pointed out is that a vast majority of the employees McDonald's hires tend to be high school kids, who are for the most part under eighteen and therefore unable to serve alcohol legally.

Sadly, one of the more redicilous laws that makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever.

Years ago, I was a busser at a restaurant. The bartender was busy with a customer so I began to walk behind the bar to get me a soda. I was told I wasn't allowed behind there because I'm under aged. I want to literally punch the stupid ******** who made such a stupid law. It's disgusting that they're assuming I'm going to start drinking just because I'm behind the bar. It's an even bigger insult considering the fact that I don't even drink alcohol. What an insult.

Only if you eat too much.

My answer here: No freaking way. I will never drink alcahol in my whole life. Why? When im going to have a car, im not going to be able to drink. Alcahols taste is horrible. When you yesterday have a party with alcahol then tomorrow morning your head will really hurt. There are massive possibilities that i will be so drunken that i will want more and more until... well. The bad part of the alcahol comes. Also. I do not want to see drunken people in my favorite burger store. McDonald is for burgers and fries. No alcahol. It will ruin everything.

It is possible to drink alcohol, remain safe, and remain courteous, all at the same time.

It wouldn't really be problem if alcohol was served in fast food restaurants. People wouldn't get drunk, they would just have a beer with their burger. No big deal.

McDonald is not a restaurant if you havent realised. Resaurants are made to serve alcohols. McDonald is made to serve burgers.

noun
an establishment where meals are served to customers.

-Dictionary.com

McDonalds is a restaurant.

In restaurants people behave like respectable persons. In McDonald people just dont have limits of their behaviors

Why are people able to behave in restaurants but they're unable to behave at McDonalds? I'm sorry, but you're just wrong on this one.

(well unless they go mad and rage or something)

Most people don't rage or get mad in sit down restaurants or fast food restaurants. There are the occasional few who do get angry, but it happens everywhere.

forexample restaurants arent places where just random people com in and just buy a tasty snack.

No, they're places where random people come in just to buy a tasty meal.

If what you're saying it true, people who buy snacks are less able to control themselves compared to people who buy meals. What does it matter if someone buys a meal or a snack? Not only that, but McDonalds serves meals. A burger and fries isn't a light snack.

So basically from restaurants McDonald is different, alot different.

They aren't that different.

So McDonald should just keep as it is because it looks fine.

All I can do is link this.

If someone would want alcohol, why wouldnt they just go in a random bar?

It would be more convenient if they could just buy the beer at the McDonalds. It wouldn't hurt anyone.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Resaurants are made to serve alcohols

No. Restaurants are made to serve food. Most restaurants offer a wide range of drinks or foods. McDonalds is a fast food restaurant, meaning you can get your food in under 10 minutes usually. Alcohol has absolutely nothing to do with it.

If someone would want alcohol, why wouldnt they just go in a random bar?

Because they would have to go somewhere else to get it. It's more trouble.

In McDonald people just dont have limits of their behaviors

People don't walk into a fast food restaurant and magically turn into rampaging beasts.
Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

People don't into a fast food restaurant and magically turn into rampaging beasts.

That's not what I'm saying. If you have been in a restaurant and McDonald, look at the difference of people there.

-Jeff
Showing 16-30 of 85