Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

WEPR question

Posted Aug 31, '12 at 4:17pm

Skyla

Skyla

297 posts

Didn't know where else to post this so..

What happened to Moegreche's "The Great Debate"?

Basically any info about why the debates stopped and whether or not they're going to make a comeback.

I thought they were a fun and challenging way to earn merits, not to mention educational.

Posted Aug 31, '12 at 6:51pm

BRAAINZz

BRAAINZz

601 posts

It generally disappeared like Moegreche did. I haven't seen him in a long time, although I saw him post once a week ago, he may be lurking if he is at all active.

Also, the Mods probably don't want to oversee this at the current time with about four active mods. With the little manpower they have, they don't have the time to give merits when they are more needed eliminating spam from the site.

Posted Sep 1, '12 at 2:19pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,072 posts

Knight

Didn't know where else to post this so..

Basically any info about why the debates stopped and whether or not they're going to make a comeback.

I thought they were a fun and challenging way to earn merits, not to mention educational.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2vjbgba.gif

Sorry I really couldn't help myself. Other than you and me, I don't think anyone else here remembers said event. That was so long ago.

Moe pops in and posts a few times every few months.

Posted Sep 1, '12 at 4:02pm

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,553 posts

What, you trying to say I forgot all about those? How dare you, good sir!

Even before Moe resigned, the debates were slowly dieing down. Mainly because the most interested, involved and skilled members gradually drifted away from the forums.

Posted Sep 1, '12 at 4:21pm

Moegreche

Moegreche

2,854 posts

Devoidless is right - those debates just sort of winded themselves down. And BRAAINZz is also right - I do still tend to lurk the forums.

As it stands right now, my time is very limited (and hopefully, it continues to be that way). If anyone is interested in starting the debates back up, then I'm confident the current moderators would support this in whatever ways they can. But even if it end up being a 'rogue thread' it would still be really fun for those involved. I enjoyed overseeing the debates, but real life has a tendency to get in the way of most online things.

Posted Sep 1, '12 at 5:31pm

Xzeno

Xzeno

2,082 posts

That's true. Assuming you mean "biased, insular and close-minded" instead of "fun and challenging".

While this type of forum of course exists for different ways of thinking to clash, giving one faction power over another hinders this goal. A system such as The Great Debate, no matter how unbiased the intention, creates an intellectual aristocracy while suppressing contrary ideas. No "objective" rules or petty devotion to rationalism can save us from human error.

What? I miss the good ol' days too. But someone has to be negative.

Posted Sep 1, '12 at 5:37pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,072 posts

Knight

I stand corrected.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on how to get this ball rolling again, feel free to discuss it here.

Posted Sep 1, '12 at 10:14pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,164 posts

Knight

People would have to play DA for quite a few topics if this ever came back....

Posted Sep 1, '12 at 11:10pm

Kyouzou

Kyouzou

4,753 posts

Yes, our forum does seem to lack the diverse viewpoints it was brimming with a few years ago. I wouldn't mind playing devil's advocate depending on the situation, it's usually very easy to see the two sides of a situation, although there are some people and situations who/which it's absolutely infuriating to argue with/about, which tends to ruin the fun of a debate.

Posted Sep 1, '12 at 11:23pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,164 posts

Knight

That's why we need someone to moderate any official debate....

Reply to WEPR question

You must be logged in to post a reply!