ForumsGamesThe Games that Killed Call of Duty

31 5933
BaNgUlol
BaNgUlol
1 posts
Nomad

This topic is about the games that killed cod. Meaning the games that where more cooler then Cod like classics. Which games would YOU pick? Mine is the first and second max payne game from 2001-08 and The first HALO. Whats yours?

• 31 Replies
Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

COD will probably kill itself, that's what I think.

ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

Record breaking sales every year and arguably the most popular FPS franchise of all time? I'd say the series is doing just fine.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Cereal or popcorn?

No. But he knows what I mean.
COD will probably kill itself, that's what I think.

Unless they make some drastic change that upsets a lot of people, their fanbase isn't going anywhere. I don't see the drastic change happening.
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

in the newest one they added in a new faction to play as

As far as actual gameplay is concerned you can't derive a definitive corollary from that statement, can you? :O

I mean, in Age of Empires or Age of Mythology you'd know changes were abound - though in the first two AoE games if an expansion pack came the differences in civilizations was less than substantial but I'm not sure how it works in Dynasty Warriors.

So they actually attempt to give the games strong improvements

Possibly, although these were listed somewhat late in the franchise considering that it was only the fourth one you could list or after for when these features were brought about. The inclusion of them in sequels is a no-brainer if they were good / effective or could've been good / effective if they had improvements or fixes.

and the story line can be initiated GTA style, where you go and talk to someone, like a superior officer, and they give you missions...

GTA is a Sandbox-RPG, not an FPS xD this goes back to my reasons for why FPS singleplayers were in less of a surplus way back when, and why that was a good idea.

that'd be an enjoyable game and a big step in the innovating direction for their games)

Not necessarily. I mean, consider how often you play the campaign? Anyone diehard enough to play repeatedly through something as monotonous as that would be playing a game that has good combat (or other) experience throughout the singleplayer. . . but Call of Duty is focused on the Multiplayer and that's where you'll find its longevity.
If they innovate and properly improve the multiplayer, very very strongly, then they'll be pulling the franchise back into something that spawns decent games, at least.

their fanbase isn't going anywhere.

Some of their fanbase is getting tired, it's mostly a matter of time -- the decrease in sales will expedite as less people decide to get it and "Well, if I can't play with you it's not going to be worth it, how about we just stick with MW2?" approaches a lot of people.

- H
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

if an expansion pack came the differences in civilizations was less than substantial but I'm not sure how it works in Dynasty Warriors.

The change of a new faction essentially expanded the game...giving a bunch of new characters and a new story line that extends past the previous games'

although these were listed somewhat late in the franchise considering that it was only the fourth one you could list or after for when these features were brought about

Well saying that the first game of the series was a fighter game (street fighter-esq) I'd say it has come a long way haha
ayosuaa
ayosuaa
26 posts
Nomad

well, CoD almost difficult to defeat, but i'll try.
maybe assasin creed or battlefield

Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

Whilst I think this pertains to the stickied Call of Duty Thread, I mays well partake as I've typed this much.
Armies of Exigo
Fable 1
Magicka
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (and likely soon to be Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs)
Saints Row: The Third (the fact that it exaggerates most aspects just makes this game brilliant, admittedly)
Tribes: Ascend
League of Legends (Despite terrible balance and other issues involved)

None of these games are the same genre except for Tribes, and it's free. League also is a free game.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Uh, nothing killed call of duty. The game is still played by millions. So....your argument is invalid?

artapani
artapani
5 posts
Peasant

even though i dont play cod i still think its fun. i tried before a few times.

zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

By "killed", he probaply means what ruined the franchise. CoD 4 was the last good CoD imo: after that Battlefield has been the king.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

Call of Duty isn't dead.

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

after that Battlefield has been the king.

King of what? FPS? I can name quite a few off the top of my head that are better than Battlefield, and because it seems to be a "thing" in this thread, in my opinion. BF3 got it's share of complaints, OP guns and equipment, too easy to die in multiplayer, a campaign worse than COD, hard to lvl up, ect.

Fun fact: BO2 is getting record pre-sale numbers, better than any COD game before it. So I would say opposite of dying really.
credop
credop
38 posts
Nomad

Yeah the series is awful, but it isn't dead... If it does die it can only blame itself

zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

King of what? FPS? I can name quite a few off the top of my head that are better than Battlefield, and because it seems to be a "thing" in this thread, in my opinion. BF3 got it's share of complaints, OP guns and equipment, too easy to die in multiplayer, a campaign worse than COD, hard to lvl up, ect.

Yeah, people have opinions. I just think BF3 is really good, and no FPS in same category beats it. Halo maybe does, but it's completely different. Also, too easy dying in multiplayer, as you say it, just makes it fun for me
chives1
chives1
27 posts
Peasant

I wouldn't say it is dying - it is just that Infinity Ward and/or Treyarch have not released something different from their formula that really invigorates casual players to play it, as spending 60$ for a game that differentiates slightly from its predecessors is not an inviting prospect. However, being a fan of some CoD games (Black Ops & COD4) I must say that it really has gone done in its quality for the Modern Warfare series. MW3's mic problems for the first few months were ridiculous, and unbalanced guns led e to sell it for money to pre-order BO2.

As for games better than the CoD series, Uncharted 1,2, & 3; Skyrim; Journey; and Flower. And Minecraft, obviously....

However, these are all of different series, and although I must congratulate Battlefield's producers for going against them, the two series are too different to compare in terms of gameplay and teamplay.

Showing 16-30 of 31