Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

The Philosophic Thread

Posted Sep 12, '12 at 4:19am

Skyla

Skyla

297 posts

Double posting to expand on this:

Again, too simplistic for a philosophical approach. Do you define yourself by your experiences? If everything we accomplished in our lives is naught, do we cease to exist? When someone asks you who you are, you begin to tell them the name that your parents chose to give to you, and the experiences that you've been through in the past. This raises an important philosophical question, are we just what we have done?

I believe it's important to define ourselves, to know what we mean by "I" without referring to our accomplishments and experiences. Then, we can truly live in the present, I graduated from high school years ago, that should be irrelevant to who I am today. It's gone, I'm no longer there. Zen and Buddhist philosophy teachers often instruct students to walk across the room and back, before asking them "Where are your footprints?" This is done to free them from their past, and to live contently in the present.

I'd like to present the way of life of a tribe in the Amazon, the Piraha. The Piraha were untouched by modern civilization until the 20th century. As a result, they developed an interesting philosophy and language. The Piraha perceive the world only as it is in the present. When something can no longer be perceived, it ceases to exist to them. They do not save food for later, they have no myths about their creation, they do not bother with such concepts. It is only the here and now that matters to the Piraha.

Just thought it was interesting and worth sharing. (:

Posted Sep 12, '12 at 7:59am

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,858 posts

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvrcr4fIBT1qibz0jo1_1280.jpg

Posted Sep 12, '12 at 11:48am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,939 posts

Knight

NOTHING TO DO HERE

Hehe.. for my part I'm split about philosophy. There's one part of me thinking some discussions are interesting and raise legitimate questions about several real issues. There's also a prominent part of me thinking philosophy artificially creates unnecessary problems it can't even solve and is a lot about who uses the most fancy words and thoughts ^^ almost like poetry, come to think of it.

Posted Sep 12, '12 at 12:08pm

Skyla

Skyla

297 posts

There's also a prominent part of me thinking philosophy artificially creates unnecessary problems it can't even solve and is a lot about who uses the most fancy words and thoughts ^^ almost like poetry, come to think of it.

That is the point. You see, it's about taking advantage of our unique ability to think. To consciously ask these questions, regardless of whether they can be answered. It can help us understand more about ourselves and our nature, and that of the universe around us. Thinking too much, of course, is a strain on our being. Alan Watts, although some of his teachings are questionable, mentioned that thinking in moderation is good, that it is a "good servant, but a bad master".

Posted Sep 15, '12 at 3:56am

SSTG

SSTG

10,756 posts

Knight

What is Reality?

Whatever you want it to be.
What is experience?
The complement of theory, the some of your mistakes, knowledge, life events. Stick your fingers in boiling water, you burn yourself then you learn not to do it again, that's experience.

How are we here?

Because some will say in the beginning...
I'd say what if there was no beginning but just a circle, no birth, no life, and no death, just a cycle that reproduce itself constantly.

Why us?

That's a little vague, can you elaborate?

Posted Sep 15, '12 at 3:58am

SSTG

SSTG

10,756 posts

Knight

What is experience?

The complement of theory, the some of your mistakes, knowledge, life events. Stick your fingers in boiling water, you burn yourself then you learn not to do it again, that's experience.

Oops, I meant sum not some. xD

Reply to The Philosophic Thread

You must be logged in to post a reply!