Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

What did chick fil-a actually do wrong?

Posted Sep 16, '12 at 1:24am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,868 posts

Knight

Seems to me folks are focusing on the wrong bit here. The controversy about the opinions expressed by the corporation are indeed distracting, but the real issue is more basic. It's not about a chicken joint being anti-gay... it's about a corporation having the RIGHT to have an opinion at all. All the arguing simply validates that a corporate fiction (not the CEO, not the employees, but the CORPORATION) should be allowed an opinion. Enough blood has been spilled in the name of the bottom line that I for one resist completely that non-entity like a corporation should have the precedent set that it's views are valid in any way. I shudder at the laws that would come into being when a CORPORATE FICTION is allowed to vote in elections, or demand extraterritoriality, or hire legitimate private armies... No. Just no.

You went down the slippery slope really fast there.

Posted Sep 16, '12 at 1:51am

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,553 posts

I refuse to eat at chick fil a of my own free will now....

As opposed to being tied to chair, having a gun pointed at your head being told "Eat this or die"? :p

Seems to me folks are focusing on the wrong bit here. The controversy about the opinions expressed by the corporation are indeed distracting, but the real issue is more basic. It's not about a chicken joint being anti-gay... it's about a corporation having the RIGHT to have an opinion....

I don't even know.

Posted Sep 16, '12 at 10:53am

pickpocket

pickpocket

3,346 posts

They did nothing wrong. They expressed their opinion. I dont see why people who support gays can go and say it, while others cant. Chick-fil-a did nothing wrong other than tell people what they think. And make me addicted to their chicken nuggets and waffle fries.

There opinion, in all fairness, RETARDED

What deems it retarded? You? Its an opinion based on religion(I think). Its so stupid when people call other people retarded for explaining what they believe.
Thats like you going and saying, "I like dinosaurs" and me saying "you are stupid because you like dinosaurs."

Posted Sep 16, '12 at 11:23am

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,995 posts

Knight

They did nothing wrong. They expressed their opinion. I dont see why people who support gays can go and say it, while others cant. Chick-fil-a did nothing wrong other than tell people what they think. And make me addicted to their chicken nuggets and waffle fries.

If they merely expressed their opinion, we would not be talking about them right now. Please read the first page to actually see what this is about.

Posted Sep 16, '12 at 11:40am

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,069 posts

Knight

What they did was wrong, but not illegal, nor should their action be illegal. A boycott is the perfect response to their actions, no government intervention is necessary on either side.

What deems it retarded? You? Its an opinion based on religion(I think). Its so stupid when people call other people retarded for explaining what they believe.
Thats like you going and saying, "I like dinosaurs" and me saying "you are stupid because you like dinosaurs."

It's not their opinion we're against, it's their action. Their action is the donation to anti-gay organizations that are trying to pass laws that will effect us and limit our freedoms. Why should straight people care? Because we should protect all our freedoms, including those we don't immediately use ourselves. It's this idea that we only pay attention to laws effecting ourselves that really screws up politics.

Posted Sep 16, '12 at 12:51pm

Kyouzou

Kyouzou

4,753 posts

Seems to me folks are focusing on the wrong bit here. The controversy about the opinions expressed by the corporation are indeed distracting, but the real issue is more basic. It's not about a chicken joint being anti-gay... it's about a corporation having the RIGHT to have an opinion at all. All the arguing simply validates that a corporate fiction (not the CEO, not the employees, but the CORPORATION) should be allowed an opinion. Enough blood has been spilled in the name of the bottom line that I for one resist completely that non-entity like a corporation should have the precedent set that it's views are valid in any way. I shudder at the laws that would come into being when a CORPORATE FICTION is allowed to vote in elections, or demand extraterritoriality, or hire legitimate private armies... No. Just no.

While that was indeed a slippery slope, I see his point and agree with it. While I do have a moral argument with the opinions of Chick-Fil-A's CEO, as someone who wishes to pursue a career in business, it really gets to me that the business is being used to lobby a political and theological belief. As far as I'm concerned, if it's the opinion of the owners, then they can use their own money, not their business. It should not be Chick-Fil-A's name on those checks.

And this doesn't even take into account as the rest of you have mentioned, the blatant donations to bigoted organizations that seek to repress and demote those who are gay. I can't understand how in this age, the very idea that it's alright to discriminate against someone simply because of who they are, even exists.

Posted Sep 16, '12 at 3:32pm

StarOfPathz

StarOfPathz

12 posts

Chick fi-al had a belief. A belief many people don't agree with. But guess what, If you don't like them don't eat there. That is what makes USA great. We can have opinions and if you don't like them just stay away. I think Chick fi-la did a good thing in standing up, and all thos hundreds of thousand of people who at there on chick fi-la appreciation day thought so too.

Posted Sep 16, '12 at 4:08pm

thebluerabbit

thebluerabbit

2,915 posts

Chick fi-al had a belief. A belief many people don't agree with. But guess what, If you don't like them don't eat there. That is what makes USA great. We can have opinions and if you don't like them just stay away. I think Chick fi-la did a good thing in standing up, and all thos hundreds of thousand of people who at there on chick fi-la appreciation day thought so too.

you cant always stay away. if you dont fight for your rights people will step on you. same goes with here. what they did wrong wasnt stating their opinion. it was donating to anti-gay movements. its simple as that. and peoples reaction to that isnt illegal or wrong either. one thing i can say though, they probably lost many many customers

Posted Sep 16, '12 at 4:08pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,672 posts

Knight

Once again it must be stated. It' not the belief they held but the actions they took. These thousands of people are not only giving appreciation to support a bigoted view but a misdirection of the issue at hand.

Posted Sep 16, '12 at 4:14pm

pickpocket

pickpocket

3,346 posts

But still, chick-fil-a did nothing wrong. Just because you disagree with them doesn't make it wrong. It's somewhat the same as me donating to an animal shelter that I like, exept they did it on a very sensitive and controversial topic. Do I agree? Not nesesaraly, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

Reply to What did chick fil-a actually do wrong?

You must be logged in to post a reply!