ForumsWEPRWhat did chick fil-a actually do wrong?

98 30968
toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

What did they do wrong? I know that there is a thread similar to this but this is kind of a different question (so please donât lock it or I will be sad :C ) but really what did they do wrong? Itâs not like they said âwe should stone gays and not let them into our stores!!â they were simply stating their thoughts, so here is what I want you to do, this is going to be like a pole I guess, I want you to state what chick fil-a did wrong. Simple as that
Please no arguing, I just want to see what people think they did wrong

Again please donât lock this mod it will make me sad :C itâs not a duplicate

• 98 Replies
StarOfPathz
StarOfPathz
14 posts
Nomad

Chick fi-al had a belief. A belief many people don't agree with. But guess what, If you don't like them don't eat there. That is what makes USA great. We can have opinions and if you don't like them just stay away. I think Chick fi-la did a good thing in standing up, and all thos hundreds of thousand of people who at there on chick fi-la appreciation day thought so too.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

Chick fi-al had a belief. A belief many people don't agree with. But guess what, If you don't like them don't eat there. That is what makes USA great. We can have opinions and if you don't like them just stay away. I think Chick fi-la did a good thing in standing up, and all thos hundreds of thousand of people who at there on chick fi-la appreciation day thought so too.

you cant always stay away. if you dont fight for your rights people will step on you. same goes with here. what they did wrong wasnt stating their opinion. it was donating to anti-gay movements. its simple as that. and peoples reaction to that isnt illegal or wrong either. one thing i can say though, they probably lost many many customers
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Once again it must be stated. It' not the belief they held but the actions they took. These thousands of people are not only giving appreciation to support a bigoted view but a misdirection of the issue at hand.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

But still, chick-fil-a did nothing wrong. Just because you disagree with them doesn't make it wrong. It's somewhat the same as me donating to an animal shelter that I like, exept they did it on a very sensitive and controversial topic. Do I agree? Not nesesaraly, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

Once again it must be stated. It' not the belief they held but the actions they took. These thousands of people are not only giving appreciation to support a bigoted view but a misdirection of the issue at hand.
wait, so you're saying that they aren't allowed to do what they want with the money THEY earned?
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

They are, we just don't agree with how they choose to do so.

I'm likening it to an arms dealer using the money THEY earned to fund the death of innocents in the middle east or supplying warlords in Africa.

Yeah sure, it's their money, but you have a problem with how they're using it don't you?

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

But still, chick-fil-a did nothing wrong. Just because you disagree with them doesn't make it wrong. It's somewhat the same as me donating to an animal shelter that I like, exept they did it on a very sensitive and controversial topic. Do I agree? Not nesesaraly, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

The CEO of Chick-fil-a holds the opinion that traditional families are the right ones; that's ok, and it would be perfectly ok if he donated to organisations supporting traditional families. That would be absolutely no problem.
However what is happening is that he instead supports anti-gay organisations, organisations that discriminate and actively act against other people simply because they don't like them. THIS is wrong. Definitely wrong.

wait, so you're saying that they aren't allowed to do what they want with the money THEY earned?

The (imo legitimate) point has been raised that the CEO should not be using the wealth of the business for his personal opinions, and instead use his own private money. The also legitimate point has been raised that it is somewhat questionable that an enterprise can have an opinion at all about a purely subjective topic not even related to the field of activity of the business (therefore the money is definitely not invested for the business's profit).
bigjacob
bigjacob
578 posts
Farmer

As opposed to being tied to chair, having a gun pointed at your head being told "Eat this or die"?

Hehe, funny. But I mean, I have no choice about where my family chooses to go eat, but I mean whenever I have the choice of where to go. That did sound like an empty statement, didn't it?
toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

ok guys thanks for all your views, i actually learned what everybody thought they did wrong instead of everybody arguing and bickering, so i learned some stuff =D reply on!

Skestork
Skestork
7 posts
Jester

What deems it retarded? [...] Its an opinion based on religion(I think).

If i was feeling especially impish tonight I would say, that you just made further explanations unnecessary... But I think retarded might be a bit much; I'd go with ignorant - paraphrasing Richard Dawkins one might say, they are probably not stupid, insane or wicked; and ignorance is no crime in a country with strong local traditions of interference in the freedom of biology educators to teach the central theorem of their subject.

I'm sure the CEO of Chick Fil-A is a nice and warm man and he is welcome to take any number of make-believe friends he wants to, but when he supports people whose actions (regardless of their reasons - I don't care whether God, Thor or a unicorn told them to hate - for these actions) are malicious, he has got a serious problem with the division between his personal opinions and his public persona.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Thought I would share this.

Chick-fil-A will no longer give money to anti-gay groups

(RNN) - Chick-fil-A will no longer give money to anti-gay organizations, according to an organization championing lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights. The move comes as part of a real estate deal in Chicago.

Moreno, executive director of TCRA, stated he negotiated concessions
with executives at the fast food company and advised them about
anti-discrimination policies. WGCL reports that Moreno negotiated the compromise as part of a real estate deal.

"My sole interest in this fight was to make substantive progress on the vital civil rights issue of our day. With this action, I believe that real progress has been made to address the very legitimate concerns of the LGBT community regarding Chick-fil-A. Moreover, the company has agreed to a compromised traffic pattern. Therefore, I will be providing Chick-fil-A the letter of support they have been requesting to allow for a subdivision of the property located at 2538-70 N. Elston Avenue. I also will be introducing a City Council ordinance that will formalize the subdivision," Moreno said.

In a news release Wednesday, Illinois-based group The Civil Rights Agenda revealed excerpts of a letter from a Chick-fil-A executive to Alderman Moreno.

"The WinShape Foundations is now taking a much closer look at the organizations it considers helping, and in that process will remain true to its stated philosophy of not supporting organizations with political agendas," the letter stated.

WinShape Foundations is the charitable arm of Chick-fil-A and the Cathy family, who started the fast food company.

Chick-fil-A came under fire after Dan Cathy, president of the Atlanta-based fast food chain, said in an July 16 interview with the Baptist Press that the organization supports "... the biblical definition of the family unit.

"We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives," he said. "We give God thanks for that ... we know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

The backlash prompted boycotts from LGBT supporters as well as "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day," a rally suggested by former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who is also a Baptist minister.

"We are very pleased with this outcome and thank Alderman Moreno for his work on this issue," said Anthony Martinez, executive director of The Civil Rights Agenda. "I think the most substantive part of this outcome is that Chick-fil-A has ceased donating to organizations that promote discrimination, specifically against LGBT civil rights."

Chick-fil-A also has sent a memo to franchise and stakeholders stating the company will "treat every person with honor, dignity and respect-regardless of their beliefs, race, creed, sexual orientation and gender."

WGCL in Atlanta reached out to Chick-fil-A for a statement:

"Chick-fil-A is a family-owned and family-led company serving the communities in which it operates. From the day Truett Cathy started the company, he began applying biblically-based principles to managing his business. For example, we believe that closing on Sundays, operating debt-free and devoting a percentage of our profits back to our communities are what make us a stronger company and Chick-fil-A family.

"The Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in our restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect -regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender. We will continue this tradition in the over 1,600 Restaurants run by independent Owner/Operators. Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena.

"Our mission is simple: to serve great food, provide genuine hospitality and have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A."
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Seems like this will be setting a precedent. Give money to people you agree with, find someone who will accept not giving money to those people anymore as a 'bargain' and then make nice. A win-win for Chick-Fil-A.

_Spaz_
_Spaz_
143 posts
Nomad

I think any group or organization can have their opinions. Weather that is the Pro-Gay or Anti-Gay. What I do not agree with is bashing Chikfila for their opinions but the Gay community doesn't want their opinions bashed? I think its hypocritcal of them. Also, start a mass make out session in all chikfilas? That may have been a rumor but, man talk about the Gay-community wanted respect. Sure isn't any there. I am all for equality, I just don't support disrespect and it goes both ways. They are both wrong.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I think any group or organization can have their opinions. Weather that is the Pro-Gay or Anti-Gay. What I do not agree with is bashing Chikfila for their opinions

Did you read through the previous posts at all? It was pointed out how Chik-fil-a was funding anti-gay groups that were trying to make homosexuality a crime and basically the lynching of gays legal
Skestork
Skestork
7 posts
Jester

What I do not agree with is bashing Chikfila for their opinions but the Gay community doesn't want their opinions bashed?

Homosexuality isn't an opinion - just like heterosexuality isn't an opinion...
Criticizing a persons religion or political orientation is absolutely fair game since religion and political orientation depends on choice - sexuality and race for instance doesn't.
Showing 16-30 of 98