ForumsWEPRShould the creation of Military Robots be allowed?

79 27203
shock457
shock457
708 posts
Shepherd

I really think we shouldn't make them.

Who knows? The technology can go into the wrong hands and our technology can go against us.

Does anyone have any opinions about this?

• 79 Replies
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Robots should be shunned from society!

Not completely, but we shouldn't start making robots with the ability to kill.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

I'm guessin you are talking about our mosquito discussion?

So in the long run we are ok...and if it means getting rid of those lil nuisances, I for one wouldn't mind the short term damages

why do we safe the tiger? in the long run it doesn't matter.
why don't we kill all the bees? in the long run it doesn't matter.
in the long run it never matters.
why don't we kill all humans? it will make the world a better place.
we are the top of the food chain. if we fall of then nothing happens.
we humans are just as useless for nature as mosquitoes are. and probably even much worse.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

and probably even much worse.

Much, much worse. We're the scourge of the planet.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Much, much worse. We're the scourge of the planet.
Are you a member/subscribed to VHEMT?

Seems to me athiests live a really depressing life, saying we should be exterminated and the animals allowed to live, really depressing.

We are animals? No, that is one of the dumbest things I have heard all day, even the dictionary disagrees with you.
any such living thing other than a human being.

p.s. THIS THREAD IS WAYYYYYYYYY OFF TOPIC.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Animals are older than humans.

Most animals have a really short lifespan.
We came about 700 million years after the first animal/organism!

So do most modern species.
And we are animals.

So everything you just said about animals applies to us too, automatically.
Robots should be shunned from society!

Good luck watching the economy returning to the stone age. Roboters are already an important part of production chains. But robots come in handy in more ways than just that, for example they have a great future in life rescue missions after a natural catastrophe. And even in the military they save lives in your own camp.

Still think they should be shunned?

What about cyborgs? Human with electronical/mechanical replacements/enhancements?

Seems to me athiests live a really depressing life, saying we should be exterminated and the animals allowed to live, really depressing.

Why do you have to make such a nonsensical connection to atheism just because you disagree? Atheism has nothing to do with that.

We are animals? No, that is one of the dumbest things I have heard all day, even the dictionary disagrees with you.

Tha definition of yours is just a colloquial one. Scientifically speaking, we are animals.

p.s. THIS THREAD IS WAYYYYYYYYY OFF TOPIC.

I agree. Let's return to robots, or maybe cyborgs? I think enhanced soldiers might be something coming in the future, what do you think of that? Are robots compatible with humans or should they be strictly separated?
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

What about cyborgs? Human with electronical/mechanical replacements/enhancements?

One needs only play Deus Ex Human Revolution to get a sense of that.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Who says I'm an Atheist? Just because I don't believe in the "one true god" doesn't mean I don't have a deity. I need a deity, as they look after the afterlife, which is always a nice, semi-permanent holiday.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I find it funny that the vast amount of arguments against robots come, from all things, movies and video games.

Reality check - Movies/video games are FICTION.

As for robots/cyborgs, they're inevitable. The only direction we haven't seriously expanded into is improving the ability of soldiers to a huge amount. Tanks, aircraft carriers, long range missiles, remote technology such as UAVs and satellites...you can give a soldier a new gun and better armor, but they are still human. Robots don't feel pain, wouldn't be vulnerable extreme temperatures so much, and wouldn't balk at tense situations, would follow orders perfectly, would be stronger and more durable, have better perceptions...

What I see coming is remote controlled robot soldiers.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

and hackers trying to hijack enemy robots
shock457
shock457
708 posts
Shepherd

Most animals have a really short lifespan.

I was talking about how long we lived on Earth.

So do most modern species.

It's called evolution. We somewhat evolved from bacteria, but we weren't the first though. There were more simple and anicent organisms than us. We because what we are about 700 million years later.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I think if cyborg soldiers see the light of day someday, they'll control their robotic parts themselves. Important progress is being made in the field of using electrodes measuring brain currents and interpreting them so that controlling a mechanical device with your thoughts becomes possible. Actually I think they already do that. Now just think of a soldier mentally controlling his robotic enhancements; no need for strategists back at the base to control every detail.

I was talking about how long we lived on Earth.

How does that relate to any kind of differential value compared to any other animal? Saying we are worth less because our species is relatively young would con**** more animals than humans, using the same idea. Besides, devalorizing humans on that base is just as stupid as declaring us the crown of evolution just because we're capable of narcissism.

It's called evolution. We somewhat evolved from bacteria, but we weren't the first though. There were more simple and anicent organisms than us. We because what we are about 700 million years later.

I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to bring across. Be more specific please.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

What the hell happened to the first link? That was an actual picture from the movie!

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JR7ZdHFDLlY/TX-l5qpdMxI/AAAAAAAAABU/Eb4gIbokRog/Ripley+Exo+Suit.jpg

Here is your image.

The military already has something similar (Based on Iron Man)

one version
http://singularityhub.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/exoskeleton_sarcos_raytheon1.jpg

I think Exoskeletons are the way to go, cyborgs could be problematic.

~~~Darth Caedus

Showing 46-60 of 79