Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Should the creation of Military Robots be allowed?

Posted Sep 22, '12 at 7:18am

partydevil

partydevil

5,130 posts

Please tell me you are joking...that ("I think, therefore I am&quot is a quote from René Descartes

he probably isn't.
lots of people don't know much about historic philosophers. leave alone that they know who had made what philosophy.
they just think it comes from that where they 1st heard it. i.e. star wars.

Posted Sep 30, '12 at 10:22pm

Zoom2

Zoom2

10 posts

So this is part of a field sometimes known in academia as 'Post-Human Warfare' which is a pretty awesome, if ridiculous, name. It includes everything from drones to cyber warfare to theories that seem to border on science fiction about where we might go next. Of course it also includes discussions and ideas for the creation of enhanced human (particularly soldiers), an idea that goes back pretty far and was often linked with euthanasia. Now what makes an enhanced human can involve machinery (like a cyborg), but it can also involve specified nutritional and training development (potentially doping and surgery as well) to create a person who goes beyond what we would think of as 'human limits'. This is, of course, something applied to many athletes, but what if it were applied to soldiers or even a whole new generation starting from a young age? We can make enhanced humans long before we can make robotic soldiers. A lot of effort is pored into drones and weaponized AIs, but humans may become more efficient killing machines in that time as well.

Posted Oct 1, '12 at 11:08pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,112 posts

Please tell me you are joking...that ("I think, therefore I am&quot is a quote from René Descartes

look at this

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."
âIG-88A's final thoughts[src]

source

he probably isn't.
lots of people don't know much about historic philosophers. leave alone that they know who had made what philosophy.
they just think it comes from that where they 1st heard it. i.e. star wars.

I am not suprised it was a philosophy quote, one I will probably learn about in college.

speaking of identifying with where you first heard it, my sister identifies songs with the disney movies they are in.

Now what makes an enhanced human can involve machinery (like a cyborg), but it can also involve specified nutritional and training development (potentially doping and surgery as well) to create a person who goes beyond what we would think of as 'human limits'.
GO SPARTANS,

sorry, had to say it.

(NERD TO THE CORE)

I don't know about enhanced humans, don't really know how that would work unless they were cyborgs.

Darth Caedus

Posted Oct 2, '12 at 1:42am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,757 posts

look at this

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."
âIG-88A's final thoughts[src]

The quote I used is still from Rene Descartes, not Star Wars

Posted Oct 2, '12 at 9:13am

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,112 posts

The quote I used is still from Rene Descartes, not Star Wars
I believe it, but it is also found on star wars.

Posted Oct 5, '12 at 11:22am

lucianomagno

lucianomagno

10 posts

Uh,if they make them AI that's never a good idea...maybe if they're piloted by the army or the Police Force it won't have many problems.
Now,everything falls in wrong hands sooner or later,be it guns,money,robots in this case,etc but it can be handled
thats my point of view

Posted Oct 5, '12 at 3:02pm

deathbewithyou

deathbewithyou

589 posts

The minute I saw the name of this thread I thought: What in the world?
Because we already have robots in the military.

Posted Oct 5, '12 at 8:50pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,112 posts

I think what the OP meant is the creation of the big things like fully automatized tanks and maybe soldiers.

I doubt A.I. will ever become that common, it is probably cheaper to make them avatars of the soldiers.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Oct 5, '12 at 11:17pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,782 posts

Knight

Uh,if they make them AI that's never a good idea...

Why wouldn't it be? We would still be the ones programing and dictating the behavior of that A.I.

Posted Oct 6, '12 at 11:12am

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,112 posts

Most people believe that an A.I. will become sentient and see humanity as a threat.

it is called the terminator scenario (at least I think it is, but when you search wikipedia it redirects you to transhumanism, because we all want to be cybermen apparently)

~~~Darth Caedus

Reply to Should the creation of Military Robots be allowed?

You must be logged in to post a reply!