ForumsThe TavernOperation: Increase Forum Interest

91 12587
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I probably could have come up with a more clever name had I put more effort into thinking about it, but this one seems to get the point across just fine.

The purpose of this operation, as its name suggests, is to increase forum interest throughout the entire site. Site activity is not a problem with this newer generation of users, forum interest is. Only a handful of users who joined in 2012 have over 300 forum posts; which, if you're active enough, really should not take more than a month or so to achieve. The problem here is, these users are active, but the 2012 generation of users in general is far more interested in messaging others than they are posting in the forums.

Well, that can be changed. Most of you are somehow in contact with users who are active on the rest of the site but have no interest in the forums. What I want you all to do is, when you're having a nice little conversation with them, tell those users about how great the community is and somehow make them interested in wanting to post here. Don't go to random people's pages and start preaching to them about forum greatness, but if you happen to be talking to a user who is active here but seems intimidated by the community somehow, let them know what they're missing.

Now, what I really don't want to see is a plethora of pessimistic comments like "Oh, this won't work" or "Don't waste your time", because frankly that bores the hell out of all of us and it doesn't help anybody. This idea of mine may not work, but I ask that everyone who can at least try it for the betterment of the community.

• 91 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Agreed... something along the lines of a button like this below:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8042/7983549756_23ceb15a6a_m_d.jpg

That would be far more recognisable and easier to find/access! =)

Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

If the community button is the main problem here, how come so many more people could find the forums just fine two years ago?

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

If the community button is the main problem here, how come so many more people could find the forums just fine two years ago?

This is just an assumption but, maybe people two years ago were more curious? Or they just randomly found it. It took me a few months before I finally found the community while looking through the site.
Rakim
Rakim
143 posts
Treasurer

I don't have a lot of free time and I used to prefer playing games to posting in the forums. The other one may be the language. I have problems translating my thoughts into English words, which leads me to an extreme frustration and sometimes I think the effort I make is not worth it.

I feel the exact same way. I'd propably spend more time on the forums if it didn't take me so long to make a post. English isn't my first language and I have tremendous problems "writing down my thoughts" in English. I guess I'm just really bad at writing.

Another reason I'm not active is, you guessed it, the lack of interesting threads. Also, I almost never make new threads myself because I can't think of anything to discuss about and, as I mentioned before, my stupid brain won't allow me to write creatively.

I'd love to see the forums revived though. There are some really great people still hanging around. However, I don't really chat with other people here, nor do I have any friends on AG, so I can't really take part in this operation. I don't come to this site very often these days, as I'm beginning to have more responsibilities and less time, but it's nice to see that there still are quality threads being made.
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

I originally joined back in 08 mainly to rate games and comment but I didn't know about the forums until about a year later and ever since I pop on to the forums every so often to check the first few pages of threads and see if their is anything that I find interesting I think they don't advertise the forums enough as some have said it's not easy to spot and I think if they did advertise it a bit they would see an increase of forum activity.

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

I feel the exact same way.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one with this &quotroblem"

the admins should also rename the button to "Forums" instead of "Community".

This would definitely help newcomers to find the forums. It took me quite a while to know about the existence of the forums. And then some time to understand that Community and forums were the same thing. However, I don't think I would have been more active here if I had known that before. Personally, I decided to start posting on the forums because I was a bit tired of playing games.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

So I had an idea (though it might sound silly, but it is better than nothing) of creating a video to basically try to get people to join AG and our Community section.

I could even put testimonials from Community members in the video to show people the wonderful community life we have and how much people enjoy it

Just a simple thought, but like I said I figure it is better than nothing..

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

So I had an idea (though it might sound silly, but it is better than nothing) of creating a video to basically try to get people to join AG and our Community section.

Interesting idea. The big question is, where would you put it and how would you get people to watch it?

I'm also curious as to what the video would actually contain. Enlighten us, please, because I like your idea but it's quite vague at this point.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

The big question is, where would you put it and how would you get people to watch it?

Well the main starting point I was thinking was Youtube. I'll admit I'm not a large figure in the Youtube world, but I do know a number of people that I could ask to help spread the video (shout-outs, links, etc.). I could also put the video on Tumblr (have real-life friends that are a part of this site...I could talk them into putting the video on their pages and help spread it), maybe even Newgrounds, etc.

So in short, I could post the video on a number of different sites (Youtube, Tumblr, Newgrounds, etc.) and then get people to watch it through word of mouth through connections of mine (hehe "connections of mine"...makes me sound professional)

I'm also curious as to what the video would actually contain. Enlighten us, please, because I like your idea but it's quite vague at this point.

Well I was thinking that since you are the creator of Operation: Increase Forum Interest (O:IFI), I could some qualities/ideas of the video from you (since, like I said, it is your Operation)

But I did have some ideas for the video. Could have the video start off by briefly talking about the site AG itself, so as to familiarize people (whether they be people who have been on AG before and just need some reminding about it, or people who have never been on AG before) with the site before just jumping right into talking about the Community. (could have this text-based or vlog-esq....and with the vlog-esq style, could have someone like...you, Ernie, for example...dong that instead of myself, but will get to that when/if it arises). Then could give a brief statement about the community and what it is ("The Community is a great place with a wide range of forums to keep you entertained...whether you are new and would like to introduce yourself in the Newcomer Forums or would like to speak/debate about World Events, Politics, Religion, etc. in the Forum of the same name, etc.&quot and then begin to show the testimonials (will show the text-based, unless someone would like to do a testimonial video style) about how great of a place the community is and maybe how the person watching should join, etc.

This is just like a "Rough-draft" thought, however. Also, like I said, since it is your idea for this operation, I was hoping to get some of your input/decisions on the video and how it should go about
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

but I do know a number of people that I could ask to help spread the video (shout-outs, links, etc.)

Rephrase - "but I do know a good number of people that I could ask to help spread the video (shout-outs, links, etc)
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Rephrase - "but I do know a good number of people that I could ask to help spread the video (shout-outs, links, etc)

The forums need an edit button, as well as improved navigation (searching).

~~~Darth Caedus
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Then make a Forum about why people do it and yeah. A lot of people.
(Put this on people's accounts too)

*slaps*

Bad Zombieman. Bad!

The forums need an edit button, as well as improved navigation (searching).

I'd rather take a single employee who just works on the forums once in a blue moon.

I wonder, is it considered advertising if after each legitimate game comment you make if leaving a "By the way, check out the Armor Games forums!" and a link to them?
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Isn't the general idea at AG-HQ that the forum activity is so low at the moment, they don't need to appoint a CM to control it as... there's nothing to control at the moment?!

And I was wondering... since the AG community is built around an AP gathering and ranking system, isn't the cause for people to stay away also the fact that they were cut short in earning those AP around the site everywhere? =0

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I wonder, is it considered advertising if after each legitimate game comment you make if leaving a "By the way, check out the Armor Games forums!" and a link to them?

Advertisement to their own site...I'd be surprised if they got mad at that. Maybe someone should test it =p
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

And I was wondering... since the AG community is built around an AP gathering and ranking system, isn't the cause for people to stay away also the fact that they were cut short in earning those AP around the site everywhere? =0

They should just quit allowing AP for posting on other people's pages or allow twice the points for forum posts instead.
Showing 31-45 of 91