Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

[NECRO] Should the Cloning of Humans be allowed?

Thread Locked

Posted Sep 9, '12 at 7:00pm

shock457

shock457

709 posts

Another topic I think was weird.

In my opinion, I think it shouldn't be allowed. We are already overpopulated as it is.

Posted Sep 9, '12 at 10:37pm

Skeleton_Pilot

Skeleton_Pilot

1,332 posts

We are already overpopulated as it is.

What if we weren't overpopulated? Would you still feel the same way about it?

I think it would be fine as long as it didn't get out of control.

Posted Sep 9, '12 at 10:42pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

10,000 posts

I think it would be fine as long as it didn't get out of control.

With the type of people in this world, that wouldn't take long

Posted Sep 10, '12 at 12:13am

Skeleton_Pilot

Skeleton_Pilot

1,332 posts

With the type of people in this world, that wouldn't take long

The government would most likely create regulations regarding it before releasing the technology to the public. Even if they didn't, cloning is a difficult process, and the general public for the most part isn't smart enough to turn it into a hobby! =P

Posted Sep 10, '12 at 9:20am

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,230 posts

What if we weren't overpopulated? Would you still feel the same way about it?

If we weren't overpopulated, i'd be fine with it, with the obvious regulations as mentioned.

Posted Sep 10, '12 at 12:08pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,512 posts

Knight

The question is, if it were officially allowed and regulated, why would we make human clones at all? Making clones for a specific purpose would immediately raise moral issues and get grounded (we could use some though, for organs, blood and stem cells).

Posted Sep 10, '12 at 12:19pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,805 posts

Knight

We should work on improving our cloning technology for human use. This would mean being able to create organs and other body parts for someone without rejection. As for cloning an entire human I don't see much of a point in it if we can do set body parts. That human would be an entirely different person. They would just have the same genes as the original.
I suppose at a more extreme level it might be used for brain transplant. But that comes with ethical concerns of what happens to the clones brain. Unless we just grow the body without the brain.

Posted Sep 10, '12 at 12:32pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,574 posts

Knight

We're still years away from the proper technology. The legislation itself is light years away to say the least.

As to the uses of cloning, one can dwell into all manner of far fetched science fiction stories to elucidate one's points, but their much too improbable and implausible to comprehend realistically now. As Mage said, the more common applications would lie in organ harvesting for medical reasons.

Posted Sep 10, '12 at 12:38pm

Kyouzou

Kyouzou

5,183 posts

The population issue aside, I think morally, it's a bit iffy because after a certain point you're going to have genetic clones of people running around and that's just going to cause problems. Especially because there will be people who say that they're the work of the "devil" and discriminate against them, while others will try to play the, they're not really human, let's make them slaves" card.

Posted Sep 10, '12 at 12:47pm

Jblaze101

Jblaze101

531 posts

I really don't believe we should be looking into that research we have problems already with necessities and I don't think a lot of countries need more than they can handle and where do you mean that this statement adheres too the whole world im guessing.