Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Female President?

Posted Sep 11, '12 at 9:40pm

Tactical_Fish

Tactical_Fish

390 posts

I think Michelle Obama would be great

I quote pickpocket:

lol no. Just no. Just friking no.

Well said sir.
Also, I definitely agree with 314d1.

Posted Sep 11, '12 at 10:15pm

SSTG

SSTG

10,881 posts

Knight

After getting a black president, a woman becoming one will probably finish the conservatives who are racist and wants women to stay in the kitchen and be dumb. I hope that after Obama is reelected, a woman will get the next presidency just to bother those backward warmongers. xD

Posted Sep 11, '12 at 11:59pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,876 posts

Knight

Using a monarch as an example to show how women will be equally flawed isn't the best of comparisons.

There is evidence that women are better politicians. Women sponsored more bills (an average of three more per Congress), cosponsored more bills (an average of 26 more per Congress), and attracted a greater number of cosponsors than their colleagues who use the other restroom. These new laws driven by women were not only enactedâ€"they were popular. In a pair of additional working papers, led by Ohio State political scientists Craig Volden and Alan Wiseman, researchers tracked every bill introduced between 1981 and 2009, and found that those sponsored by women survived deeper into the legislative process, garnered more press attention, and were more likely to be deemed 'important' overall. All of which leads the authors of the AJPS paper, University of Chicago Public Policy Professor Christopher Berry and his student and Stanford doctoral candidate Sarah Anzia, to conclude that it’s the women themselvesâ€"specifically, their skills at "logrolling, agenda-setting, coalition building, and other deal-making activities"â€"that are responsible for the gender-performance divide.

Posted Sep 12, '12 at 12:13am

Skyla

Skyla

297 posts

Do you think the U.S.A will ever have a female president ?  If they ever do I hope for their sake its not Sarah Palin. Also I am glad in Australia we dont have politicians that stupid. I think Michelle Obama would be great

Sure if you want to praise the likes of Julia Gillard who negotiated to get the Green's support by imposing the carbon tax, after promising the public not to.

Oh, I am sure there will be one. Soon as you start voting sensibly.
Women are, by nature, more level headed, less inclined to rash decisions, more prone to listen to others, and have more common sense. Everything you need for a ruler!

Wow, when did sexism towards men become acceptable? Women are just as likely to make rash decisions and decisions based on emotions.

This is coming from a woman.

Bs. The reason that there have been few women leaders is the same reason that we have not had a black president for so long and we won't have another minority president for a while. They don't get elected because they have not gotten on the roster to get elected, and that is pretty much the only reason.

No, that's way too one dimensional. Many people, at least to some degree, stereotype others based on race, gender, etc., at least subconsciously. A lot of hedging, for the sake of objectivity. On a mass scale, this will sway the outcome and handicap minorities and women. Of course, this goes both ways as you pointed out (rather harshly) here:

Idiots like Forger will vote for a women out of sexism, and there will no doubt be a few women who vote for her out of simple want for wanting a women in office, the same way there where a few people who voted for Obama for wanting a black president.

Onwards.

This is America. Land of the free, where everyone is equal. Ideally, race, religion, and gender should have nothing to do with who gets your vote. Saying "Will we have a female president?" Is like saying "Will we have an Asian president?", the real question is "Does it matter?"

First off, it's not. That's an idealistic fairytale. Secondly, it doesn't matter in terms of overall outcome. It does, however, matter in that they should have equal opportunity to get into office. I think over time as education becomes available (and hopefully mandatory) to future generations, we'll be free of racism and sexism.

I'd like to take this time to point out that the USA explicitly does not have equal rights across the sexes

This is important. The ERA (Equal Rights Amendment) is not part of the US constitution, 3 state votes short of becoming the 28th Amendment.

There is evidence that women are better politicians.

Not necessarily. You have to take into account the barriers to entry for women. 1 in 5 Americans said they would be reluctant to vote for a female president (the same source you used), and so the women that actually make it are likely to be especially talented.

Source: http://www.newsweek.com/2011/01/22/why- … ctive.html

Posted Sep 12, '12 at 12:59am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,876 posts

Knight

Not necessarily. You have to take into account the barriers to entry for women. 1 in 5 Americans said they would be reluctant to vote for a female president (the same source you used), and so the women that actually make it are likely to be especially talented.

Yep, my source also stated the reason why they were better; only the best are chosen and they take it upon themselves to do better in a male dominated environment.

Posted Sep 12, '12 at 1:11am

Skyla

Skyla

297 posts

Yep, my source also stated the reason why they were better; only the best are chosen and they take it upon themselves to do better in a male dominated environment.

That just means the ones that do make it are better, because the barriers to entry weed out more of the less-skilled women as opposed to men. I believe both sexes are able to perform well in politics, but more unskilled male politicians get into politics than women. With that in mind, we can see how it's easier to mistake women for being better politicians.

Posted Sep 12, '12 at 1:32am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

Wow, when did sexism towards men become acceptable? Women are just as likely to make rash decisions and decisions based on emotions.

-_-
You have not worked out that the best woman would be chosen to be the President. As such, she would be all of the good things I listed and more. Plus, I am not being sexist. One needeth only look at our history;
The invention of beer (liquid gold to many men)
The countless wars, feuds, invasions, takeovers, etc, all started by men
The giant count of men/women leaders
The fact that often, it's the women that try to calm men down when they're angry about another man.

As such, I do know that there are women not like this, and men who are not prone to their counterparts' follies. But, as a majority, we see more women getting stunning grades, getting into good universities, and less men.

But hey, shall we bring out the remarks about women being vain? If you want. Jealousy? Only as much as men.

Posted Sep 12, '12 at 1:45am

Skyla

Skyla

297 posts

The fact that often, it's the women that try to calm men down when they're angry about another man.

Hardly a fact, women can instigate fights between men or mend them. It depends on the woman. Which brings me to:

You have not worked out that the best woman would be chosen to be the President. As such, she would be all of the good things I listed and more.

Again, this is in an idealistic society. A person can use manipulation to win an election. Politics and voting depends on mass psychology, politicians win others over to their side to vote for them, through campaigns and whatnot.

As such, I do know that there are women not like this, and men who are not prone to their counterparts' follies. But, as a majority, we see more women getting stunning grades, getting into good universities, and less men.

It should be illegal to make such sweeping generalizations. In an equal and fair society, I would reckon that men and women are equally likely to accomplish your list.

The countless wars, feuds, invasions, takeovers, etc, all started by men

Because women weren't allowed in the position of power to start them.

Posted Sep 12, '12 at 2:15am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,876 posts

Knight

That just means the ones that do make it are better, because the barriers to entry weed out more of the less-skilled women as opposed to men. I believe both sexes are able to perform well in politics, but more unskilled male politicians get into politics than women. With that in mind, we can see how it's easier to mistake women for being better politicians.

Isn't that what I said....Gosh...

Posted Sep 12, '12 at 2:18am

Jefferysinspiration

Jefferysinspiration

3,138 posts

woman also are very caring for their family. and often do not want to have a full time job but rather work part time.

this is 1 of the biggest reasons why there still are not much female "leaders". it's to much work for them. they are not willing to sacrifice as much as man do.

Not going to lie, i skipped over every comment just to respond to this.

Who exactly are you to judge the capabilities of a woman in power? How can you possibly decide that it is too much work for a woman? What about women in politics that just aren't "president"? What about women who are right up there in the army, whos job is full-time, and takes much more than your average male "mechanic".

Not all women want to work part-time, or be mothers or bake. Shouldn't be so sexist.

Reply to Female President?

You must be logged in to post a reply!