Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Female President?

Posted Sep 13, '12 at 11:32am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,169 posts

Knight

No I didn't misread your post. What I am saying is, much of the world does think the USA is full of crackpots. We laugh at the number of evangelicals, we laugh at the bipartisan jokes, we laugh at the US trying to impose it's will on the world. The world isn't exactly wholly fond of the US, and we're entitled to that opinion.

Posted Sep 13, '12 at 4:32pm

Xzeno

Xzeno

2,082 posts

No I didn't misread your post. What I am saying is, much of the world does think the USA is full of crackpots. We laugh at the number of evangelicals, we laugh at the bipartisan jokes, we laugh at the US trying to impose it's will on the world. The world isn't exactly wholly fond of the US, and we're entitled to that opinion.

Which isn't related to what he said at all. Masterforger was displaying that the US is not the only country that does messed up stuff. You are affirming that the US does messed up stuff. These are not mutually exclusive! Of course the US does bad things. Of course other countries do too. Your appraisal of the US is not inaccurate. Your belief in its uniqueness is.

it's not going to be accomplished by offering different groups of people a disparate set of rights or treatment.

I've thought about this notion a lot, and I don't buy it. Affirmative action doesn't inhibit equality. It allows something that would remain unequal to be equalized. Affirmative action would create a truly equal society faster. I'm still against it, but it would be pragmatically good.

A spotlight fallacy? Hardly. One doesn't have to look far to see how intolerant our society is towards misogyny and how closely it borders on supporting misandry, especially in modern feminist circles.

Yeah, see, that's the part I don't accept. Misogyny has been the status quo for so long in our culture that most people are utterly blind to it. While you may not have to look far to see misandry, you have to look at all. Not so with misogyny. With misandry, it's true, there are extremist factions that make the rest of us look bad. But our culture has long been ruled by the deep, basic assumptions that woman is weak, woman is subservient, woman is to be objectified, woman is lesser.

The pendulum has begun its swing in the opposite direction. People reject any institution they see themselves as not a part of. This is why we see a rising conservative backlash against feminism: people perceive it as "going to far" because it is both attempting to change the status quo and not something they immediately identify with. You say misandry is common, but I see the opposite. I see a world where anyone who speaks out against the ritual objectification and abuse of women our culture glorifies is instantly branded as a radical feminist who seeks to oppress men. If equality is oppressing men, I want nothing more.

I don't know. If Nicho can stop misreading posts in order to rant about some political agenda that's only semi-related to an off-topic post, I'm sure he'll have something good to say. He's more of a social scientist than I am.

And you'll have to tell me what your ban message is, Partydevil. I hope it's a pun.

Posted Sep 13, '12 at 5:03pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

Which isn't related to what he said at all. Masterforger was displaying that the US is not the only country that does messed up stuff. You are affirming that the US does messed up stuff. These are not mutually exclusive! Of course the US does bad things. Of course other countries do too. Your appraisal of the US is not inaccurate. Your belief in its uniqueness is.

sure they are not the only 1. but they are very active and very good in doing so.

it happens often that the usa government and/or court. are proposing stupid things. where you have to take "stupid" literally. more often then a normal county does.
what masterforger came up whit was some things that happened in history. not really actual things.

Posted Sep 13, '12 at 8:35pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,169 posts

Knight

It is related. I'm not tackling the bit he said the US isnt the only country in the world who does stupid stuff. I'm tackling the part where he is angry at Party for always jumping at Americas throat.  If any misunderstanding arose, its because I quoted the wrong parts of his post.

Posted Sep 13, '12 at 10:06pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

angry at Party for always jumping at Americas throat.

and i didn't even say usa. i just aswell could have mend...
never mind, there is only 1 place.

(can be everywhere whit corruption tho.)

Posted Sep 17, '12 at 12:05am

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,278 posts

It was obvious that you were talking about the United States.

@nichodemus,

The U.S. IS not the only country to do stupid things. China allows "communism" to exist, as well as several others. Here is a list of some really bad countries and the crap their governments do.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Sep 17, '12 at 5:10am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,169 posts

Knight

@nichodemus,

The U.S. IS not the only country to do stupid things. China allows "communism" to exist, as well as several others. Here is a list of some really bad countries and the crap their governments do.

~~~Darth Caedus

It's also obvious my point was not that it was the only country with such stupid mistakes, BUT that it did embody stupidity for many and is viewed as such around the world. Read before wrong accusations. Darth Cadeous.

Posted Sep 17, '12 at 7:19am

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

then i am not the only one who makes that connection, am i?

Posted Sep 18, '12 at 2:54pm

RougeSoul

RougeSoul

2 posts

Well you can elect a female president, but expect water guns for the army..

Posted Sep 18, '12 at 7:03pm

skydragon720

skydragon720

274 posts

no, most leaders are male and we will get laughed at.

Reply to Female President?

You must be logged in to post a reply!