ForumsWEPRJust learning some incredible things

19 7886
CheapCheep
CheapCheep
240 posts
Nomad

So at school, in World Geograpy, we always have a "News Item of the Day" and we watch the Today show. Quite honestly, I never knew so many things were happening that im not aware of. Such as Hurricane Issac. Or the Embassador shot and killed. Its amazing how much the world is changing daily without people really noticing unless its in their specific area.

Without the News, I can say without a doubt, I probably wouldn't know much about the Embassador or Hurricane Issac. The world is changing everyday! It amazes me.

So anyway, just thought i'd put this out there for anyone interested in reading or commenting. Put some local or worldwide facts below. Maybe we can try to get one fact about local news/ worldwide news everyday. But I just thought i'd put this out there.

• 19 Replies
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

sorry my little squire, but this doesn't really seem like the place to put this thread. in my opinion, this belongs more in the tavern. this is the debate section, where only cut-throat intellectuals (and those who challenge them) go.

-Blade

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

There are so many things past and present that a majority of the people aren't aware of...and some of them have to do with events that are even popular!

For example...one thing I hate is how people glorify the Christian Crusades. They were horrid events, especially the battles against the Seljuk Turks.

The reason for the Crusaders going on that particular crusade was to capture Jerusalem, but along the way they basically thought it'd be nice to take some detours through the cities of the Seljuk Turks. What did they do while visiting these cities? They murdered the men, ***** the women (sometimes forcing the husbands to watch), slaughtered the children, then plundered the cities.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

***** the women (sometimes forcing the husbands to watch)

I seems I was censored. Well the word I used basically means to force one's self upon another person without their consent. And not in a friendly way..
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

It really is amazing how quickly information can be gathered and shared. A hundred years ago, intranational (that is not a typo) events were almost completely isolated and news was usually very outdated by the time it arrived in other countries. Now you can know what's going on halfway around the world within an hour.

Or the Embassador shot and killed.

Didn't he die from smoke inhalation?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Yeah. The shooting was an earlier rumor before the information was clear.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Without the News, I can say without a doubt, I probably wouldn't know much about the Embassador or Hurricane Issac. The world is changing everyday! It amazes me.

That's part of growing up. Think about when you were 3 yo. Your world was your house, the street where you lived, your friends, mom and dad, grandma, grandpa, uncle, aunt,etc.
Then you go to kindergarten and discover more people, learn new things.
As you get older and if you're aware of your surrounding you'll discover more and will want to know more. Life's fascinating!
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Life's fascinating!

untill your 70. then you have seen it all. nothing surprises you anymore. your health gets worse and worse. can't go on the street alone anymore.

at that point life is boring.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

untill your 70. then you have seen it all. nothing surprises you anymore. your health gets worse and worse. can't go on the street alone anymore. at that point life is boring.

I have a friend who just turned 80 yo and he still enjoys life. Sure he gets frustrated when he tries to work in his back yard and get tired easily but he finds other stuff to do.
You can always go back to school for the fun of it if your brain is still somewhat sharp. I see a lot of old guys riding their bikes.
Your life is as boring as you want it to be or fun if you work at it.
CheapCheep
CheapCheep
240 posts
Nomad

Yeah. The shooting was an earlier rumor before the information was clear

See, I did not know that.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

If you have a smartphone there is an app, the name slips my mind, however it compounds daily new stories that may be of interest or relevance and sends them to your phone. It's very useful, or honestly, you could just pick up a New York Times, there's so much information available, you just have to look.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

what about google? lots of information there. =P

StarOfPathz
StarOfPathz
14 posts
Nomad

I stay up with current events and politics. I think MSNBC is bringing you a VERY biased view of the world but at least you are not completely ignorant now. Right now in the world Obama just wimped out and is letting the Middle-East do what ever they want. We are giving 1.5 MILLION DOLLARS to people who are trying to kill us. anyway that is pretty much what is going on. Remember though tell your parents to vote for Romney cause Obama screwed things up.

P.S. it is Ambassador

squanh
squanh
7 posts
Peasant

About the world...
The most important thing is the drug of the richest nation : petrol. All the war now and in the future is about the energy we need in all the strate of our society. (sorry for my english) ...
Let's look around you : all is coming from petrol, directly like the plastic, the fioul... or has been done by the petrol : to transport raw material, the energy for the factory, the gazole to bring the object in the supermarket.
And all is around petrol.
Who are the biggest petrol producer? the middle east!

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

There was going to be one...

Let me put it this way- for the life of me I can't come up with something that's not insulting. Why couldn't have just kept your personal bias to yourself and made a comment about using multiple sources or something?

bigjacob
bigjacob
578 posts
Farmer

Remember though tell your parents to vote for Romney cause Obama screwed things up.

So just because of a mistake people should go from Democrat to Republican?

That's great, to the original poster. The world changes as you get older, or to be more specific, what you know and see about it does.
Showing 1-15 of 19