Forums

ForumsPopular Media

*cough* *cough* :/

Posted Sep 14, '12 at 11:13pm

killersup10

killersup10

1,786 posts

Well Killersup has decided that he has lost of his manlyness.He is going for the play,which about 4 guys do every year....

How can Killersup tune his voice in is the main question?

Posted Sep 14, '12 at 11:17pm

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

2,856 posts

um.....what? all i understood was the last part which i do not have the answer to, the first part i don't uderstand

Posted Sep 15, '12 at 12:06am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

Do vocal exercises, like this in whatever range you need. Try to cover the vocal breaks, such as between modal and falsetto. Practice A LOT, especially in front of others. Get feedback. Real feedback. Pick an impartial audience if possible (family and close friends tend to play the "you're perfect" card too much). Record yourself and listen to it. Working on elocution and breathing can help, too.

Posted Sep 15, '12 at 8:20pm

kuffyruff

kuffyruff

207 posts

EmperorPalpatine pretty much covered everything I was going to say, but if you have a very vocal intensive role with several high or low notes, such as would a singer, expect to lose your voice. In that case, go on vocal rest until it gets better, or the condition may worsen and have long-lasting or permanent side effects.

Posted Sep 15, '12 at 9:35pm

killersup10

killersup10

1,786 posts

Well a problem Killersup has right now is that he is at that stage when his voice cracks.....and when it cracks it shatters.....

Posted Sep 15, '12 at 11:24pm

cjhall

cjhall

220 posts

Are you trying out for a play or musical? I think what is above would help. Sometimes a role with a cracking voice is needed. (I'm in a musical where that is the case.) I'm not really sure what you would do for it though, since I'm a girl. :/ Good luck at your audition!

Posted Sep 16, '12 at 11:09am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,977 posts

Well a problem Killersup has right now is that he is at that stage when his voice cracks.....and when it cracks it shatters.....

When practicing, try vocalizing much softer than usual and very gradually increase in volume. That works for some people because it's easier to control.

Posted Sep 17, '12 at 8:06pm

killersup10

killersup10

1,786 posts

It is indeed a musical,however Killersup is pretty sure he has a small part where he sings by himself.

Posted Sep 17, '12 at 9:44pm

cjhall

cjhall

220 posts

Which musical is it? Now I'm curious... who are you playing in it? So I think the best think to do is just gentle practice, and gradually working up to it, both throughout the practice and in the long term. Don't ever strain your voice, because it can cause damage, or even just make your throat hurt.

Posted Sep 18, '12 at 11:37pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

Don't forget to never, ever, ever enunciate an 'r', unless it is the beginning letter. I learned that when I auditioned for a musical using 'Stars' from Les Miserables as my audition piece. Let's just say, I got a very small part, with no singing :P

Sort of like what Emp said, make sure your breathing makes sense. Breathe the vowel and don't breathe in the middle of a phrase. Breathe from the stomach, not the shoulders. That sort of stuff. Don't forget to practice with your falsetto as well.

As for the cracking, try singing and talking (on a regular basis) in a lower register. I'm assuming that's because your voice is changing. Try to prevent from straining your voice as much as possible. Talking for long periods of time can do this, as well as whispering (even worse). I could probably talk for a bit about how you should stand and sit and how you frame yourself when you're singing.

Also, don't eat or drink any dairy. I ate yogurt on my audition day, and it pretty much shot my range.

I'll probably think of more stuff later.

Reply to *cough* *cough* :/

You must be logged in to post a reply!