ForumsWEPRIf Fox News is so ignorant of facts, why so many viewers?

62 23798
StarOfPathz
StarOfPathz
14 posts
Nomad

I like Fox News. I know they are biased for Republicans, but I think they even out the Liberal bias on MSNBC and CNN. I have had people call me ignorant,stupid,biased,etc... for watching Fox News. I watch MSNBC too so I can get a perspective on things. I want to know why,if the people at Fox News are stupid, does Fox News have twice the viewers of other news places. Does this mean the Liberals don't stay up with the news and Conservatives do? what is your take?

• 62 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

People are angry not at the information presented, but the views presented. There's a difference.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

I dislike all domestic mass media news organizations, however, Fox holds a special little place in my heart reserved for sheer disgust. Their idea of 'good reporting' is ignoring everything that goes against their beliefs. Their idea of a 'good interview' is bullying someone who disagrees with them then cutting off the live feed.

To be honest? A lot of why I hate Fox News was Glenn Beck. And Bill O'reilly come to think of it. Yet most Beck.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I sat in on a blog tv show that had Dave Silverman on it. He was talking about his interview on Bill O' Reilly. (seen here)
Silverman said O'Reilly really isn't this stupid. What we are seeing from O'Reilly here is just an act. He actually doesn't hold many of these views he's spouting. So O'Reilly isn't stupid, he's a sell out.

If you want to see more on why people don't like Fox News here is a Youtube channel devoted to pointing out the bs they spew.
LiberalViewer's Media and Political Analysis

AatosLiukkonen
AatosLiukkonen
66 posts
Nomad

Their idea of a 'good interview' is bullying someone who disagrees with them then cutting off the live feed.

Not going to lie, I've never actually seen them cutting a live feed. While I'm not a huge fan (I like them more than CNN or MSNBC, but that isn't saying much). While I won't attest to it not happening, I've never actually seen it myself.

In general, neo-libs don't like neo-cons. Therefore, just as many people and FOX news themselves shoot down other stations, the opposite will happen. The reason you see it more on the Internet is because, in general, there is a disproportionate number of liberals compared to conservatives, especially on many forums such as this one.

Though really, you would be better off finding better news sources than FOX or MSNBC.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I like Fox News. I know they are biased for Republicans, but I think they even out the Liberal bias on MSNBC and CNN. I have had people call me ignorant,stupid,biased,etc... for watching Fox News. I watch MSNBC too so I can get a perspective on things. I want to know why,if the people at Fox News are stupid, does Fox News have twice the viewers of other news places. Does this mean the Liberals don't stay up with the news and Conservatives do? what is your take?

it's because of the fact that older people tend to be republicans, and younger people don't pay much attention to politics.

as for my take on fox news, they are the single worst news channel to get your information from (mainly because so little of it is fact). just watch one episode of fox and friends and you will see for yourself. this kind of reminds me of rachel maddow, and how she uses a ton of facts, but nobody watches her show. the best reason I can think of as to why is the fact that people hate watching informative TV shows (which explains so many channels showing really stupid crap like tru TVs Hardcore Pawn).

in esscence, you are ignorant, but you aren't stupid.

-Blade
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Not going to lie, I've never actually seen them cutting a live feed.

Got a few examples in one video right laynext=1&list=PL22FABB1ECB63B7C2&feature=results_video">here.
rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

All media is biased, it's not just Fox News. However most people seen to believe that their favourite news channel is 100% facts.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

All media is biased, it's not just Fox News. However most people seen to believe that their favourite news channel is 100% facts.

again the mark twain quote, "he who doesn't read the newspaper is uninformed. he who does is misinformed." comes into play. you're right on that matter.

-Blade
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I think there may be a difference between biased and how Fox News is simply flat out untruthful.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

It's not that Fox News is great at stating the facts, but the fact that they are the only large right-wing news organization out there,

Large or small is there a truthful right-wing news organization?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

All media is biased

NPR seems quite straight.
BBC is usually swayed to the left, but at least there's a lot less filler than most other networks.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

BBC is usually swayed to the left, but at least there's a lot less filler than most other networks.

the problem i got whit the BCC is not that they lie like fox.
but in political interviews, the interviewer often cuts of the interviewed. pushing forward their view instead is listening what the other has to say. they could show some more respect for those they interview.
Skestork
Skestork
7 posts
Jester

First, a slight apology - I'm scandinavian and as such should be regarded as a homosexual commie-satanist - There's my bias out in the open...

I think Fox gets a lot of bad press for being... well... really quite bad press. Almost everything that I have heard or seen come out of that delusional dark pit of backworldsmen bubbling with bigoted fear, has been an insult to the basic tenets of decent journalism - at least insofar as I was taught when I went to the danish school of journalism...

One of these tenets would be the enlightenment of the general public - Fox simply does not enlighten. Another would be proper use of sources, so just to make sure I'm not percieved as being as bad as Fox; here you go: [url= http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/23/fox-news-less-informed-new-study_n_1538914.html]

I think it's a bit of a problem when the audience of a comedy-show are more enlightened about foreign politics and current affairs than that of actual news.

Before you cry 'havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war, telling me that Huffington is liberal media, please keep in mind, that Fairleigh Dickinson University is not.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Before you cry 'havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war, telling me that Huffington is liberal media, please keep in mind, that Fairleigh Dickinson University is not.

I sum it up this way: Democrats are Bugs Bunny and Republicans are Elmer Fudd.

On the Bugs Bunny side you have Bill Maher, John Stewart and Stephen Colbert who inform their audience with humor about the corruption in Washington from both side (Liberals and Conservatives) which is not always fun when you see the mess but at least they somehow inform us.

On the Elmer Fudd side you have Fox News, O'Reilly, Hannetty, Rush Limbaugh and other out of space idiots (Melvin the Martian) who totally misinform their audience which is composed of 100% hardcore right wing zealots who are against abortion, homosexuals, health care and education.

So here's a discussion between them.
Bugs Bunny: "What's up Doc, so Romney call 47% of the Americans lazy unemployed parasites?
Elmer Fudd: "Hooo I hate you Libewals, I will shoot you dead with my Wiffle!"

There you have it!
Meanwhile, many Americans live in fear because they don't have a job and are scared to death to be sick because they will lose their home for sure.
StarOfPathz
StarOfPathz
14 posts
Nomad

OK for one thing those "Bugs bunny people" are supposed to be funny. I don't think they care what side of politics they make fun of as long as they get views.

Those "Elmer Fudd" people are talk show host. They don't even try to say they are unbiased.

Why don't you go watch a a cnn political talk show host. you will see they obviously are biased to liberals. I like Colbert but you can't call him the same as a political talk show host. He is a comedian.

Showing 1-15 of 62