ForumsWEPRIf Fox News is so ignorant of facts, why so many viewers?

62 23793
StarOfPathz
StarOfPathz
14 posts
Nomad

I like Fox News. I know they are biased for Republicans, but I think they even out the Liberal bias on MSNBC and CNN. I have had people call me ignorant,stupid,biased,etc... for watching Fox News. I watch MSNBC too so I can get a perspective on things. I want to know why,if the people at Fox News are stupid, does Fox News have twice the viewers of other news places. Does this mean the Liberals don't stay up with the news and Conservatives do? what is your take?

• 62 Replies
Skestork
Skestork
7 posts
Jester

I like Colbert but you can't call him the same as a political talk show host. He is a comedian.

And still people who watch his (or at least Jon Stewart's) or no news-show at all are more knowledgeable about current events both foreign and domestic than those who watch Fox News exclusively.

By the way I see, that I bungled the link in my last reply so I'll have another go at it: [url=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/23/fox-news-less-informed-new-study_n_1538914.html]
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

OK for one thing those "Bugs bunny people" are supposed to be funny. I don't think they care what side of politics they make fun of as long as they get views.

it's called satire, and you would really benefit from watching it.

Why don't you go watch a a cnn political talk show host. you will see they obviously are biased to liberals. I like Colbert but you can't call him the same as a political talk show host. He is a comedian.

colbert is a satirist. his job is to not only inform you, but to persuade you to his view by making you laugh. satire is very potent if done right.

-Blade
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Last night I watched the show Rock Center and they were talking about how different networks are purposely dividing people with their shows.
Some appeal to Democrats and others to Republicans and they make you feel that they are and you are right while the others are idiots. Meanwhile, they rack the money. I think it's bad for the Americans and especially for bipartisanship because it makes any progress almost impossible.
Those danm networks should be held accountable for this. >

SonOfVader
SonOfVader
110 posts
Blacksmith

the problem i got whit the BCC is not that they lie like fox.
but in political interviews, the interviewer often cuts of the interviewed. pushing forward their view instead is listening what the other has to say. they could show some more respect for those they interview.

That's just Jeremy Paxman's style. It's necessary when you have to get straight answers out of people as slimy as the likes of George Galloway or Michael Howard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwlsd8RAoqI
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Meanwhile, they rack the money.

What of NPR (a non-profit) and others like it?
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,764 posts
Chamberlain

Say what you will about them, but they're not always biased about everything. One of he people who's on Fox News regularly (I think works for them) after the vice presidential debate was defending Joe Biden. He said that he knew him and in a personal bases that he was as nice as they get (paraphrasing) and that if you said you needed a shirt he would start taking it off right there. He continued to defend him by saying that he thinks that him laughing and smiling like that was just a nervous tick, which I can most certainly believe that something like that is a nervous tick (maybe no in his case, but maybe so). My brother-in-law once said that someone he knows would start laughing insanely when he got nervous.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Say what you will about them, but they're not always biased about everything.

that is the danger.
because sometimes they have real news. it makes it look like all their BS is real aswell.
if 100% was lies then their viewers will see that sooner or latter.
but by sending some real news from time to they can keep people watching their BS.
1 true story doesn't make the rest true aswell.

anyway, if it is a nervous thick then the only thing you need to do is find some other people he has a private relationship whit and ask them if that is really a nervous thick.
if those people do not acknowledges it. then it's nothing more then just another lie.

conclusion: it can be a nervous thick. but it doesn't have to. more info then 1 mans story needs to be found to confirm it.
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

that is the danger.
because sometimes they have real news. it makes it look like all their BS is real aswell.
if 100% was lies then their viewers will see that sooner or latter.
but by sending some real news from time to they can keep people watching their BS.
1 true story doesn't make the rest true aswell.

partydevil-
your right. I have noticed that, also if they say it the right way it sounds more believable. It all depends how someone looks at something

TehBlackHat
TehBlackHat
9 posts
Nomad

Fox isn't ALL falsified, but the only true things we already know. Gas rises, stock market, etc.. What I hate is their ,like you said already, ignorance (and sometimes plain irrelevance ) to the topic. And with news you never know what their side is on the subject.. Sorry if this doesn't make since but it's my personal opinion. As for all the viewers, they're just mostly gullible to believe the bull-crap.

StDrake
StDrake
194 posts
Lord

your right

*you're

Also - many people don't want facts. They want THEIR facts. It's quite scary how many of those there are too.
handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

I only know from the Daily Show, which I see in the UK. I think that Fox news is aware of the facts and deliberately distorts them to suit their poltical bias. A lot like Mitt Romney does. I think that it suits a lot of Americans to see the world like Fox news does, even when Fox news is wrong. If Hitler was so evil why did so many Germans follow him? If Jesus was so good why did so many people shout for his crucifixion.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I think FOX News is a terrorist organization and the idiots who comments on it are traitors because they always talk against the president.
The government should sue them out of business.

zeus999
zeus999
31 posts
Shepherd

Really all of the big news stations aren't very helpful. I think it laughable when i here people who's only source of info is cnn or fox etc. and they use it as a source for an argument. If you want news about something research it don't go to fox or cnn.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer
BurnKush420
BurnKush420
100 posts
Nomad

fox news is ignorant of facts, and they also really only show one side of the story, the side that supports their agenda. but the reason they have so many viewers, 1) it is a national news station. 2) most people arent aware of fox's tricky tactics. 3) people dont like to do their own research on subjects so they just listen to it on the TV

Showing 16-30 of 62