ForumsWEPRAsexuality (New intro: Page 12)

192 42560
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Introduction

I was watching something on National Geographic the other day and something about asexuals came up. I was a bit intrigued, but they did not go into as much detail as I wanted. I figured that sense we have a good group of discussioners (just made that word up), then we could all learn something.

What is Asexuality?

Wikipedia says: Asexuality describes individuals who do not experience sexual attraction and is considered by some to be a sexual orientation.[1] Asexuality as a human sexual orientation has only been recognized and defined in a few academic studies since the late 1970s, and a community of self-identified asexuals has only coalesced since the start of the 21st century, aided by the widening popularity of online communities.[1] One commonly cited study placed the incidence rate of asexuality at 1%.[2] Asexuality is not the same as celibacy, which is the deliberate abstention from sexual activity; many asexuals do have sex,[3] and most celibates are not asexual.

How does this fit into the Kinsey Sexuality Scale?

Alfred Kinsey was aware of an asexual element in the population but did little to investigate it. His Kinsey scale of sexual orientation consisted of a single axis lying between heterosexuality and homosexuality with bisexuality in between, and thus left no place for asexuality. In the Kinsey Reports of 1948 and 1953, subjects were scaled from 0 (completely heterosexual) to 6 (completely homosexual), but a separate category of X was created for those with "no socio-sexual contacts or reactions".[4][5] He labeled 1.5% of the adult male population as "X"

Questions

1. Is asexuality even real? I am skeptical. I don't see how one could be asexual given the hormones we all have.

2. Do you think it is purely sexual or does it involve romantic notions?

3. Given that it is real and does exist, could it be a result of a trauma?

4. Would you classify this as a mental disorder given the fact that their body has the right hormones, etc?

• 192 Replies
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

I thought I was asexual once... then I realized boobs were awesome.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I thought I was asexual once...that's a completely different story :P

Who was saying ban asexuals? I have not heard anything more ridiculous for...quite a while.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

@ Strop

No one was saying to "ban" asexuality. The question was whether or not it exists and if so, is it a mental disease.

Yes, I think know asexuality exists. My sister is a great example. The human body, regardless of gender, is repulsive to her. She is not sexually attracted to anything.

And it is not a mental disease. Asexuality does not impair my sister's life in anyway. She is not effected negatively by it at all. She just has no attraction to anyone. There's no real problem.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Sorry for the double post. The second paragraph I meant to say "I know asexuality exists." Erase the "think" in there.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

The human body, regardless of gender, is repulsive to her. She is not sexually attracted to anything.

I will not be suspicious of any person who claims to be asexual. However your phrasing, on the other hand, leaves much to be read into!
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

And it is not a mental disease. Asexuality does not impair my sister's life in anyway. She is not effected negatively by it at all. She just has no attraction to anyone. There's no real problem.
That some people think of being asexual as a negative thing, is connected to the strange fact that lots of people believe the finding of a partner to be crucial for achieving happiness. And it is so for some people, but others just don't need a partner in their life the same way...
master256
master256
40 posts
Nomad

asexualism is disgusting and all who practice it should be SHOT!!

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

I think asexuals are alot like sociopaths, because they dont feel normal human emotions.
Basically, they're insane.
Oh, not really insane... They just lack a certain part of what is considered normal emotions/drives... It doesn't quite qualify as 'insane', though it is a deviation from the normal. They usually don't lack the ability to love, they just don't want or need a partner.

asexualism is disgusting and all who practice it should be SHOT!!
Humans are not capable of performing asexualism (if I've understood the term correctly), so no worries there. . . . . .
master256
master256
40 posts
Nomad

it can be a practice and thanks but I am no virgin buddy.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Would you mind explaining how it can be a practice?
master256
master256
40 posts
Nomad

In the zulu and tretionic peoples it is a commonly accepted practice. You mentally destroy yourself to the point of incompatibility in a setting such as the bedroom... in other words they makes themselves an abnormality for the sake of doing it. um.... again no link my moms nursing books...

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Okay... Well... That is not the natural form of asexuality, but... Uhm, would you happen to know what their reasons for doing that was/is?

master256
master256
40 posts
Nomad

it was supposed to originally be some for of ritualistic seperation from pain of familial ties when their warriors went off to battle a rival tribe so that they would not be mental destroyed if their spouse did not come back.. now I have no idea why they still practice it.

PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

[quote="JesusPriest"]

[/quote]

I do suppose that it can be a practice... a decision to live in celibacy (sp?) for example. However I do believe that this does not negate the regular influence of hormones... only the way you act (or do not act) as a result of them.
'True' asexualism, being not having any desires for anyone, wouldn't be the same. Here you wouldn't feel the influence of hormones, as opposed to feeling them but forcing yourself to not react.
PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

I know, my bad... I messed up the quote, sorry!

Showing 46-60 of 192