ForumsSupport ForumVoting for Moderators

42 6262
baseballfamer123
baseballfamer123
321 posts
Nomad

Do you think that there should be a poll for people to vote of people to become moderators. The people that could vote would be people with 6000 points or above. To keep away hackers and spammers.

• 42 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

If there were such a Moderator's Oath, you can bet that it would only be accessible on a Moderator's Forum

Oh noes, secret society! Teh police state ownz you all!

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Oh and yes, Estel, how did you know about that? I didn't think you were around before then...but maybe I was wrong!

I have an idea. How about when Dan needs a new moderator, a blind dummy-vote can be held such that people think that they're voting but in fact their vote counts for nothing?

Oops, I shouldn't have said that c.c

Seriously though, voting comes down to a popularity contest. The variability in the criteria among the members makes it unsuitable: it'd just be like voting for your local police officers. You may vote for members of government because they make decisions that pertain to most aspects of your daily life, but there's no such thing on AG.

skillzkillz
skillzkillz
161 posts
Nomad

i like the idea but john has a point

gman1000
gman1000
977 posts
Nomad

Who knows? Isn't it just a bunch of work? I guess people just want to feel important and powerful. The only part is, moderators can't even ban.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Again, what is the appeal to be a moderator?

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

The reason is to probably have power or to help make the site a better place and teach young members the way of the AG.

jwalshjr
jwalshjr
536 posts
Peasant

Yes, I think many people are just craving the power, that is also why so many people want to be in the top 10. Mostly nowadays everyone is just working towards making themselves more powerful, but not always for the right reason, most of the people who are moderators aren't the ones that went, hey I should so be a moderator! It's mostly the people who just helped the site out and were active, but didn't really care about the chance of them being a moderator!

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

It is a lot of work. A lot of tedious work.

Now, what makes you think we can't ban? That's news to me.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Walsh, it's funny how you can see just about how it is. I was the second mod and watching all the new moderators come in, they all said the same thing. They didn't expect it.

gman1000
gman1000
977 posts
Nomad

Uhh... I just thought you can't ban. I thought only Admins. can ban.

MrMonkey3
MrMonkey3
495 posts
Nomad

Hand picked are better. Idk about all of you but I don't want armor games politics that would be chaos. One bad moderator could cause major damage they could really mess up the website before anyone could stop them we would already be in quite a bad spot. No, handpicked are muh better

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Wrong-o! We can give multiple types of bans. But, I really shouldn't discuss that. Everyone needs to know that we can and do ban.

gman1000
gman1000
977 posts
Nomad

Oh, okay.

jwalshjr
jwalshjr
536 posts
Peasant

Ya, I've seen them ban people from the chat room, so they defiantly, have some ban power! Also, it's truthfully not hard to see how it is, if you pay attention, which I try to do. That can usually make up for the fact that I'm not necessarily the most brilliant person here. (Yes I'm thinking of you strop!) That way I at least know what's going on here. I think ubertuna is probably the one that least expected it, but that's just my opinion, and I don't really know that for sure!

Bree
Bree
27 posts
Nomad

What in the world is the chatroom?

And can you ban people from asking questions?And ban them if you feel like it?

Showing 16-30 of 42