Forums

ForumsVideo Games

PC vs CONSOLE

Posted Apr 23, '13 at 12:38am

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

You're saying you've never had your internet provider stop working? You've never had a company be offline?

That hardly means "no internet at all". A few hiccups and delays happen, you get around them. That's a really minor complaint. Consoles sometimes break too, sometimes disks get scratched.

And not every PC game is Diablo 3 in that it simply stops working if you don't have internet - in fact very few of them are.

Posted Apr 23, '13 at 7:20pm

Mr_Sand

Mr_Sand

687 posts

I don't know how Internet can ever be a valid arguing point because both a console and a PC can have internet. Yes i do understand that there are certain advantages to having a few games that don't need the internet. Like if your internet crashes or you have to go spend the night your Grandmas. (not sure why you wouldn't want to just spend time with your elders but your choice) But there are still a lot of games that you initially need to download once or keep up to date. I know how that is because I played a few games on my Xbox before I got Live and wow, the experience is different when you have games that are less buggy and have patches that fix errors.

Call of Duty is just one of those games that are pointless without internet. And games like Defiance absolutely have to have an internet connection at all time

Posted Apr 23, '13 at 8:00pm

Terry_Logic

Terry_Logic

4,340 posts

I grew up using a mouse and a keyboard for most of my gaming, though I did also become accustomed to PS2 and GameCube control during certain points in my life. However, the mouse is so easy to use, I can't imagine myself playing the games I play with any other device (the non-flash games I play aren't really action-based).

Of course, I haven't done much gaming in the past few years because most of my games, which are fairly old, do not play on my PC, so I spend most of my time on this thing you call the internet. Now I'm sure most consoles support the internet just fine, but I can't imagine myself browsing with any device other than a mouse. That includes those horrible touchpads. Ewwww.

Since one of the fields I want to go into after high school is music production, obviously in this day and age it's almost all done electronically. Even if there are music programs in existence for some consoles, I would never use one, because I'd only be able to operate it with a mouse. It's just the way my brain has been wired.

I'm not much of a gamer, so obviously I'm choosing the PC because it has a much wider variety of uses. Yes, console gaming can be fun, but they're much less useful devices than the PC.

Posted Apr 24, '13 at 9:41pm

IAgreeWithYou

IAgreeWithYou

531 posts

The other problem I have is that with steam (Also happens on other stores, don't get me wrong) is that we indefinitely own the game. If steam shuts down or my credit card is invalid the hundreds of dollars I spent on digital games are now useless.

This isn't only steam (and you can always get a hardcopy too) but I just feel like it's going to be a huge disappointment when it finally happens.

Posted Apr 24, '13 at 10:24pm

Moe

Moe

1,783 posts

If steam shuts down or my credit card is invalid the hundreds of dollars I spent on digital games are now useless.

Steam has repeatedly said they will make every game playable without steam if they ever go out of business. And if they don't it wouldn't take long for people to figure it out. Also your credit card has no bearing on whether you can or can't play steam games.

Posted Apr 24, '13 at 11:33pm

IAgreeWithYou

IAgreeWithYou

531 posts

Really? Do you mind giving me a source? I don't remember seeing something like that.

Posted Apr 24, '13 at 11:51pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

Really? Do you mind giving me a source? I don't remember seeing something like that.
It's pretty much what they always say when asked that question. You could ask their tech support yourself if you like. Example:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/18mzcn/i_asked_steam_support_what_happens_to_my_games_if/

And yes, like Moe said, it has nothing to do with your credit card. Steam is not a subscription service, there is no periodic fee.

Posted Apr 24, '13 at 11:55pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

Besides, Steam is really not going anywhere anytime soon. It's as safe a bet as any. In fact, Steam is in some ways the future of videogame distribution. Just look at Steam Greenlight and the explosion of great indie titles available on it.

Posted Apr 25, '13 at 1:37pm

bazz1

bazz1

287 posts

I say pc,because of easy use of internet with gaming (getting mods and stuff like that) and also,if you think the a consoles controller is better you can play computer with one of those by plugging it in,and more buttons computer so in games with adjustable buttons PC wins there.

Posted Apr 25, '13 at 10:44pm

IAgreeWithYou

IAgreeWithYou

531 posts

It's pretty much what they always say when asked that question. You could ask their tech support yourself if you like

In this case, that's a con for console gaming. I doubt they'll be giving us our games honestly.

Reply to PC vs CONSOLE

You must be logged in to post a reply!