ForumsGamesPC vs CONSOLE

124 29520
KayHai
KayHai
13 posts
Peasant

which do you think is better? what are your thoughts about the next generation of consoles in regards to the PC?

• 124 Replies
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

PC is better in every way except for racing games. (the triggers on the console controllers beat the key's on a keyboard.)

Its worth noting a PC can use just about any controller you want it to.
Grael6774
Grael6774
139 posts
Nomad

I'm new to this kind of stuff so please bear with me. Here's my take on this debate.. hehe

It all depends on what genre of game you're playing. For shooters, I think PC is the way to go.. For action games and fighting games, I'd choose consoles hands down!

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Its worth noting a PC can use just about any controller you want it to.

yea you can also get a steer wheel and some paddles.
but thats not the point. i was talking about a plain PC whit mouse and keyboard, like PC's are 99% of the time used.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

but thats not the point. i was talking about a plain PC whit mouse and keyboard, like PC's are 99% of the time used.

And with the PC's keyboard and mouse it allows for more things since there are more buttons such as leaning, you can lean in PC but you can't in console games, at least not without the price of potentially losing some other feature.

I have both a good PC for gaming and an Xbox 360 (currently in for repairs for the second time) and they both have their pros and cons. For instance, more of my friends have an Xbox than any other (modern) gaming console (PC included) so that's a perk for the console that there are more people. I only have 1 (well 2 but they're brothers and share it) who have a gaming PC. There is also the matter of mods, consoles can't have mods even though some are perfectly safe and won't effect any other players they are not allowed (though I know people who have modded games on them with offline accounts).

PC's also have (as stated) generally better hardware and when games surpass the current stats of a PC you can always upgrade it a little. With consoles the games might have to be dumbed down until the next gen of consoles come out and then they're up to scratch for a few years then the cycle repeats.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

And with the PC's keyboard and mouse it allows for more things since there are more buttons such as leaning, you can lean in PC but you can't in console games

not sure what you mean but i think you should read what i wrote on the last page.

so that's a perk for the console that there are more people.

more people own a console then a PC?
thats new. almost all woman i know have no (modern) console but do have a PC.

There is also the matter of mods, consoles can't have mods even though some are perfectly safe and won't effect any other players they are not allowed

were you not that guy that said twice that skyrim mods are illegal and that it can cost you blabla money.
anyway... the reason why you can't mod on consoles is because microsoft didn't want people to share files whit eatchother over their servers. for 2 reasons. 1. safety reasons, sure there will be some playstation fan boy who is going to spread a virus or whatever over this system. and 2. their servers are simply not big enough. and they dont think it's worthy to buy them especially for file sharing.

=====
i dunno if that post was directed to me or just the 1st bit.
if it wasn't, dont bother replying to all the above.
if it was, then your saying it to the wrong guy. i'm whit you PC is better in everything except racing games, as i said on the previous page.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

How most people use a computer is immaterial when you are talking about gaming. You can't just exclude peripherals just because they don't actually come with the computer, which btw gaming keyboards and mice don't. You can use a controller or a steering wheel on both consoles and PCs, but PCs will run the game better.

For instance, more of my friends have an Xbox

At the moment that and exclusives are the only parts I like about consoles. I still prefer multiplayer gaming where are the people are in the same room which you can't often do with PCs just yet but consoles have been doing forever. Although that does seem to be getting phased out.
kingslyleee
kingslyleee
6 posts
Nomad

PC will be better To RPG,FPS,War,Act game than Console

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

How most people use a computer is immaterial when you are talking about gaming. You can't just exclude peripherals just because they don't actually come with the computer.

then a console is just as good in FPS games then the PC is.
you can buy a gun for the console.
but i hope we can agree that a FPS belongs on the PC.

and yea i can exclude them. i think we should look at this in the form that everyone has that has the main machine. and by far not everyone has a steer wheel or guns, or whatever &quoteripherals"
so yea i exclude them when talking about the machine.

but PCs will run the game better.

dependable.
PC's crash more easy. or can't run the game because hardware isn't good enough. or 1 of the other zillion ways why a PC game wont wanna work.

on a console your always sure that it can and will run.
and if the game is made whit the console in mind and ported to PC. then the PC wont be able to do better anyway.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

then a console is just as good in FPS games then the PC is.

Mouse and keyboard work better for FPS, and the vast majority of console games don't support mouse and keyboard.

you can buy a gun for the console.

I suppose motion controls might improve to the point were they beat mouse and keyboard, but they certainly haven't yet.

and yea i can exclude them. i think we should look at this in the form that everyone has that has the main machine. and by far not everyone has a steer wheel or guns, or whatever &quoteripherals"
so yea i exclude them when talking about the machine.

Its really, really hard to exclude a controller for PCs though. A steering wheel is one thing, but a controller isn't specialized for a specific type of game. Also, if you are going to compare PCs and consoles you have to consider all their capabilities, not just the ones you think most people have.

dependable.
PC's crash more easy. or can't run the game because hardware isn't good enough. or 1 of the other zillion ways why a PC game wont wanna work.

If you are comparing a console built for gaming to a PC, it better be at least somewhat built for gaming. Which means hardware isn't a problem, and the crashing more easily and "zillion" other ways are you exaggerating problems for the PC that also exist on console.

No, you aren't. Consoles, especially the newest ones, have had serious problems over their lifetimes. Xbox 360s have the red ring of death and PS3 has that yellow light thing. Not to mention the fact that,while it probably will run the game, it often won't run it as well as a PC.

and if the game is made whit the console in mind and ported to PC. then the PC wont be able to do better anyway.

Depends on the company, not the hardware. Skyrim was made for the 360, and runs significantly better on PC. And if we want to go to the future, Sony's PS4 is made with PC components, meaning this possible problem could be a thing of the past.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

Just the first bit :P

more people own a console then a PC?

Let me correct myself. There are more people on Xbox live than steam for example. More people have a console than a computer for gaming.

were you not that guy that said twice that skyrim mods are illegal and that it can cost you blabla money.

I thought we had an unspoken agreement to never speak of that again...

for 2 reasons. 1. safety reasons, sure there will be some playstation fan boy who is going to spread a virus or whatever over this system. and 2. their servers are simply not big enough. and they dont think it's worthy to buy them especially for file sharing.

You can share files on Halo...
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

@ moe

1st, to bad you didn't read the "but i hope we can agree that a FPS belongs on the PC." part.

not just the ones you think most people have.

i go from the basics. what did you get when you 1st bought the machine?
just the controller or keyboard+mouse, right?
so i go out from what everyone does at least have. and the experience everyone whit such machine does have. (unless they bought extra stuff that alters the gameplay) not what i think everyone has. i c a big difference there.

Which means hardware isn't a problem,

if it isn't a problem today, it will be in 3 year or so.

you exaggerating problems for the PC that also exist on console.

happens more to PC because PC's are almost never the same. for console they have to work for only 1 kind of spec because that is what everyone has.

No, you aren't. Consoles, especially the newest ones, have had serious problems over their lifetimes. Xbox 360s have the red ring of death and PS3 has that yellow light thing.

not in my experience. only 1 console of my ever broke because some idiot dropped cola over my SNES.

Not to mention the fact that,while it probably will run the game, it often won't run it as well as a PC.

really depends on your PC. and what you mean by runs better.

Depends on the company,

true it depends if the company wants to spend extra time and money on the PC version. if they just go for the mass money of the console. they most likely dont.
TES has a huge PC fan base. and the PC players keep the game enjoyable for years (unlike the console gamers). what gives them time to build a new game.
bethesda sure is a wierd company compared whit many of the others.

Sony's PS4 is made with PC components, meaning this possible problem could be a thing of the past.

so over time you need to upgrade your console hardware or els you can't play the game?
sound horrible to me. if this is sony's plan then screw free online play, i'm going for the next xbox.

I thought we had an unspoken agreement to never speak of that again...

hehe =P

You can share files on Halo...

does that go over the microsoft servers or those of uplay? or one of those others that made their own server system and linked it.
Vagueshade
Vagueshade
83 posts
Peasant

so over time you need to upgrade your console hardware or els you can't play the game?
sound horrible to me. if this is sony's plan then screw free online play, i'm going for the next xbox.

That doesn't make any sense. Just because the system is using a PC Architecture doesn't mean you need to constantly upgrade just to play games.

The PS3 is similar, it was like an average PC, but with a Cell Processor instead. Just because games were becoming more advanced DOESN'T need you need to upgrade tech.

I don't think you even understand why people upgrade. It's so that new games will run BETTER then if they kept old tech around.

-_-
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

That doesn't make any sense. Just because the system is using a PC Architecture doesn't mean you need to constantly upgrade just to play games.

it was in the context of previous quote's
GamerGuy75
GamerGuy75
16 posts
Nomad

PC, I use emulators and ROMs.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Wrong. My Wii crashes every other time I play Madden NFL, and the Wii is the most reliable console of the 7th generation.

PC, I use emulators and ROMs.

Emulators are illegal most of the time, so I wouldn't say that's much better then just playing the game on the console.
Showing 46-60 of 124