TheZanmato

112 posts

Console... Especially PlayStation :P

Posted Apr 7, '13 at 12:21pm

xeano321

xeano321

2,559 posts

Knight

on a console your always sure that it can and will run.

Wrong. My Wii crashes every other time I play Madden NFL, and the Wii is the most reliable console of the 7th generation.

PC, I use emulators and ROMs.

Emulators are illegal most of the time, so I wouldn't say that's much better then just playing the game on the console.

Posted Apr 7, '13 at 3:43pm

Moe

Moe

1,780 posts

Emulators are illegal most of the time, so I wouldn't say that's much better then just playing the game on the console.

Emulators aren't illegal in the US, I don't know about other countries.  Its the roms that are questionable.  Of course you can also use the disks from more modern consoles and ignore the whole problem.

Posted Apr 8, '13 at 3:08am

arfmaster

arfmaster

145 posts

i'd vote for PC. it always win this debate.

Posted Apr 8, '13 at 11:40pm

Mr_Sand

Mr_Sand

687 posts

Roms are illegal because every game you see is going to have some sort of copyright either in the game itself or on the game manual.

Likely you won't be caught using an emulator because really who is going to be in your house looking at your computer. And I am sure that knowing the police I have seen they arent going to arrest you for playing a nintendo game on your PC or even know to report that kind of thing to the FBI.

Mentioning PC vs Console, why pick one over the other. The games both have are great, youve got your PlayStation exclusives and you Xbox exclusives. Of course I guess you have the nintendo "things".

The PC is always going to be what you make it. So whatever time and money you spend making it great will determine your PC. To build a new one from scratch its about $500-$600 for a PC that can run about anything.
Steam always has good deals on games and I think I have only paid the full price on about 2 games and I have roughly 80 games. So I have saved a lot of money just in game cost.
Also if anything fails on your PC it is much easier to replace and requires little to no labor at all. Just open up the case pop the bad thing out put the new good thing in. Mother Boards and processors are a little harder to switch out but still not too bad.

On the other hand there are just some things that a console is always going to be good at. You will never have your operating system tie you down and updates are separate before the game launches. You wont have to worry about windows updates bogging you down. The console is made for controllers so you wont have to download additional drivers for your device. In its simplicity it is just turning it on and its ready to go.
The biggest problem with consoles is usually the fact that you have to put in a disc for games and if that disc gets scratched then you are screwed.
But you can download games now so that is a plus.

After having a PC an Xbox and a PS3, my biggest problem is that **** xbox is always getting the ring of death or some stupid error and that PSN is pretty much just outright terrible. And pretty much if your console breaks then you need a new one and its harder to replace parts.

So I would have to say I like the PC more just because I have mine setup to to where I dont have to mess around with it to get games to run or anything. Its just smooth and ready to go

Posted Apr 9, '13 at 5:02am

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

Roms are illegal because every game you see is going to have some sort of copyright either in the game itself or on the game manual.

NES games for example are copyright free.
and Roms not always games. roms can be used for other programes aswell.

Posted Apr 9, '13 at 10:39am

Noobclone

Noobclone

95 posts

I'm fairly sure playing abaondon ware isnt' illegal. But if they are currently making money off the game (aka Wii shop) then it would be illegal.

Basically abandon-ware to me means, in reference to consoles: even if you tried to buy the real game as legitimately as possible, none of the money would have even the slightest chance of getting back to the original producers of the game. Most console games of the past have had this happen to most of their games eventually. (zelda series being an exception etc) I call them "abandon-ware", even though that is used mainly for PC games where the company went under for whatever reasons, and the game is unavailable by official means anymore.

I personally go with both. W/e computer games/emulators I can play. And console games I can play for what I've got. I don't have much though :|. Computer-wise or console wise.

Currently saving up to get a new computer, one better than my 8 year old Athlon 2.

Posted Apr 9, '13 at 3:42pm

JunkAngel

JunkAngel

23 posts

I don't have a decent enough computer to run video games smoothly, so it's console for me.

Posted Apr 9, '13 at 3:52pm

Moe

Moe

1,780 posts

Roms themselves aren't illegal.  In fact in the US you can make a digital copy of just about any form of media for personal use/backup.  It only becomes illegal when you download copyrighted game roms.

Reply to PC vs CONSOLE

You must be logged in to post a reply!