ForumsThe TavernWhat did you learn today?

2133 252733
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,433 posts

You learn something new every day, whether or not you realize it right away. There are no exceptions to this rule.

Today I learned the difference between bowler hats, pork pie hats and fedoras. Before today, they were all just fedoras to me. It never occurred to me that all three of these different hat styles had different names.

I also learned that Roseanne is Jewish, and that gummy shot glasses exist.

http://giantgummybears.com/images/products/ShotGlasses-11Flavors.jpg

It doesn't have to be anything life-changing or significant or anything, just something that you learned. So AG, I ask you now, what did you learn today?

• 2,133 Replies
StormWalker
StormWalker
8,255 posts

It is my social studies teacher.
my old history teacher

So does mine. Or, at least, my Comp Gov teacher is definitely an interesting person to talk to. Most of the teachers I've had in that general subject (Civics, History, etc) seem to be pretty amazing.
tangentHyperplane
tangentHyperplane
90 posts

I learned all about the spectacled bear! It's a very shy, peaceful bear and the only bear species in South America. And it's darn cute. I also learned that the word "nightingale" is an Anglo-Saxon word that has been around for a millennium without changing hardly at all. It means "night songstress" because the nightingale sings at night and probably people used to think it was the female that sang. I also learned that there's a dolphin type called the dusky dolphin and it's gorgeous, while the river dolphin is...not quite so gorgeous. No offense meant but they look like they aren't really native to rivers but instead were so ugly that their fellow dolphins kicked them out of the ocean and the only place they had to go was to a river... (I spent several hours on an animal facts website haha)

UnleashedUponMankind
UnleashedUponMankind
11,342 posts

Compared to a very odd vegetarian cooking book (owned by my sister) i learned that also bacon is veggie...^^

Omegap12
Omegap12
1,999 posts

http://s4.postimg.org/8ixgww7rd/assassin.jpg
This is all too true. Sad, really.

SSTG
SSTG
12,627 posts
Snag618
Snag618
6,749 posts

I... seem to be getting posts from forum games. Or at least some of them. I don't know why.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,795 posts

Same here Snag! I have gotten a few from Count to 100. I learned that yet another one of my friends got a gf and i'm still forever alone :'

tangentHyperplane
tangentHyperplane
90 posts

I learned about the different shapes that orbits can take! Circular (as an approximation for ellipse), elliptical, hyperbolic, and parabolic.

I also learned that the New Year's crowd around the Taipei 101 building is crazy huge!! My friend told me that it's large enough to cause a lack of oxygen, but I didn't understand until he sent a picture. Oh yes. It's large. (I still wish I could see the fireworks in person though!)

SSTG
SSTG
12,627 posts

I learned this and it's pretty sad.
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-09-11/radioshacks-last-hope-for-survival-shrinking-fast-in-bankruptcy

I used to go to that store every week and spend a good bit of my pay check on electronics.
I always avoided the computer section because the prices were ridiculous back then.

In the middle 90's they started selling crap like cheap boom box and other brand products so I quit buying there and went to an electronic warehouse that sold pretty much everything Radio Shack used to have before.

Their Realistic brand was amazing. They later replaced it with the Optimus brand which was okay.
You could actually find everything to build your own electronic devices, like diodes, resistor, motors, circuit boards, transformers, etc.
Then they shrunk that section more and more every year.

They still had a great choice for batteries though. You know, those batteries you can't find anywhere else.

I guess the Internet pretty much put the last nail in the coffin.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,255 posts

Apparently the last chapter of Tokyo Ghoul is the next one, and there's so many things that weren't explained yet that I kind of want to scream. At the same time, nobody can leave that many holes and not have a sort of sequel, so I'm crossing my fingers.
This is why I shouldn't get invested in things, I get depressed when they end.

tangentHyperplane
tangentHyperplane
90 posts

I learned the story of Chang'e, the Chinese woman on the moon. Actually there are many versions of her story and none of them make much sense. What's awesome is that Houston contacted the Apollo 11 crew to tell them to look for Chang'e and her rabbit companion on the moon and Buzz radioed back "okay, we'll keep an eye out for the bunny girl." Haha.

DarthTyrannausarus
DarthTyrannausarus
543 posts

I learned that it's very hard to play any Xbox when it is sitting at my dad's computer desk. He's ALWAYS on it AND I just got a new game. This is frustrating.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,188 posts

I learned that my mom's car drives automatically when my foot isn't on the brake.

Would have been nice to know before I stepped on the gas.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,795 posts

I learned that working out every other day is better than working out everyday.

SSTG
SSTG
12,627 posts

I learned that my mom's car drives automatically when my foot isn't on the brake.

It's called cruise control and it's very useful when you're on a long trip.
Showing 1651-1665 of 2133