ForumsThe TavernWhat did you learn today?

2124 682911
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

You learn something new every day, whether or not you realize it right away. There are no exceptions to this rule.

Today I learned the difference between bowler hats, pork pie hats and fedoras. Before today, they were all just fedoras to me. It never occurred to me that all three of these different hat styles had different names.

I also learned that Roseanne is Jewish, and that gummy shot glasses exist.

http://giantgummybears.com/images/products/ShotGlasses-11Flavors.jpg

It doesn't have to be anything life-changing or significant or anything, just something that you learned. So AG, I ask you now, what did you learn today?

• 2,124 Replies
turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

I learned that Day Quil is a Miracle sent to earth by god.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

That ninjas have no hair

That would explain my insanely fast reflexes (hair is for the feeble-minded).

I learned today that there's a forum search. Also, that after being in the same Portuguese class for over 2 months, nobody in the class has learned any Portuguese.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I learned that my Lhasa Apso is not the only dog watching TV for long periods of time. I was looking online and I found many comments about people saying their Lhasa likes to watch TV for up to 15 minutes sometimes. Funny isn't it?
Darn, I though my dog was special! :/

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,524 posts
Farmer

Today I learned that Theodore and Franklin Delano Roosevelt were cousins. You'd think I'd already know that, but I always assumed it was coincidence.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I learned that the nearby McDonald's, which I've never been to, is currently under construction. I wish I had known this before I went out on a McNugget-run.

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

Today, just recently actually, I learned that my reflexes aren't quick enough to beat the beard with a fast time. 5 years ago I could have done it in under a minute.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I learned that mixing vinegar, honey, and straight lemon juice can help clear and soothe one's throat as well as clear one's sinuses. Surprisingly, it doesn't taste half-bad either.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Oh man, there's so much I've learned just from logging in for the first time in over a year... where do I begin...

Just to name a few things... AP is gone forever, "quests" now exist, Ernie is nowhere to be found, Reton8 and kegaumongo are moderators, Mino is going to Germany for design school, people have ridiculously high post counts, and there's a FORUM SEARCH...

So what didn't I learn today would be the better question! =P

Balloon__Girl
Balloon__Girl
213 posts
Shepherd

I learned that Americans can cancel Halloween trick or treating for a day with better weather. That definitely doesn't happen here.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

TIL that some old dude is back
>=p

people have ridiculously high post counts

Whaat who could that be? =o
gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

Today I learned that it's Shakuntala Devi's 84th birthday. Anyone who has seen Google's homepage today would have caught that, though.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Today I learned that it's Shakuntala Devi's 84th birthday.

Really? Google tells me it's now Raymond Loewy's birthday... I checked out his Wikipedia article and I learned a LOT about his designs... to name a few, the Greyhound Scenicruiser bus, Coca-Cola vending machines, Coldspot refrigerators, redesigned slenderized Coca-Cola bottles, and the logos from four different gas stations. And the list doesn't end there! But I'll leave it to you to click on his name there in blue and see just how many ways he's contributed to some of the things we see and use almost every day... =)

I had to ask, how different would our society be without this one guy? Whatever the answer may be, thanks Google for the history lesson of the day!
kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

Today I learned (well, in fact, it was yesterday) that trying to teach somebody who just doesn't want to learn is really, really frustrating and definitely a waste of my time. I know this isn't new, but I guess I had forgotten that it really gets on my nerves >

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Seems I'm the first non-mod/admin to find out Nemo has been demodded =/

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I learned that, if you want to summon the entire community into one place, all you have to do is start a thread concerning who should be a moderator. I've never seen a thread jump so much with activity.

It's kind of sad how everything I learn now is from the internet. You'd think, being in college, I'd be learning more in the offline world than the online one, but the truth is, I can't tell you one thing I've learned today from going to class.

Showing 661-675 of 2124