ForumsThe TavernWhat did you learn today?

2132 252158
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,433 posts

You learn something new every day, whether or not you realize it right away. There are no exceptions to this rule.

Today I learned the difference between bowler hats, pork pie hats and fedoras. Before today, they were all just fedoras to me. It never occurred to me that all three of these different hat styles had different names.

I also learned that Roseanne is Jewish, and that gummy shot glasses exist.

http://giantgummybears.com/images/products/ShotGlasses-11Flavors.jpg

It doesn't have to be anything life-changing or significant or anything, just something that you learned. So AG, I ask you now, what did you learn today?

• 2,132 Replies
gh0sts
gh0sts
877 posts

Today, just recently actually, I learned that my reflexes aren't quick enough to beat the beard with a fast time. 5 years ago I could have done it in under a minute.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,492 posts

I learned that mixing vinegar, honey, and straight lemon juice can help clear and soothe one's throat as well as clear one's sinuses. Surprisingly, it doesn't taste half-bad either.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,366 posts

Oh man, there's so much I've learned just from logging in for the first time in over a year... where do I begin...

Just to name a few things... AP is gone forever, "quests" now exist, Ernie is nowhere to be found, Reton8 and kegaumongo are moderators, Mino is going to Germany for design school, people have ridiculously high post counts, and there's a FORUM SEARCH...

So what didn't I learn today would be the better question! =P

Balloon__Girl
Balloon__Girl
214 posts

I learned that Americans can cancel Halloween trick or treating for a day with better weather. That definitely doesn't happen here.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,995 posts

TIL that some old dude is back
>=p

people have ridiculously high post counts

Whaat who could that be? =o
gh0sts
gh0sts
877 posts

Today I learned that it's Shakuntala Devi's 84th birthday. Anyone who has seen Google's homepage today would have caught that, though.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,366 posts

Today I learned that it's Shakuntala Devi's 84th birthday.

Really? Google tells me it's now Raymond Loewy's birthday... I checked out his Wikipedia article and I learned a LOT about his designs... to name a few, the Greyhound Scenicruiser bus, Coca-Cola vending machines, Coldspot refrigerators, redesigned slenderized Coca-Cola bottles, and the logos from four different gas stations. And the list doesn't end there! But I'll leave it to you to click on his name there in blue and see just how many ways he's contributed to some of the things we see and use almost every day... =)

I had to ask, how different would our society be without this one guy? Whatever the answer may be, thanks Google for the history lesson of the day!
kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,161 posts

Today I learned (well, in fact, it was yesterday) that trying to teach somebody who just doesn't want to learn is really, really frustrating and definitely a waste of my time. I know this isn't new, but I guess I had forgotten that it really gets on my nerves >

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,995 posts

Seems I'm the first non-mod/admin to find out Nemo has been demodded =/

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,492 posts

I learned that, if you want to summon the entire community into one place, all you have to do is start a thread concerning who should be a moderator. I've never seen a thread jump so much with activity.

It's kind of sad how everything I learn now is from the internet. You'd think, being in college, I'd be learning more in the offline world than the online one, but the truth is, I can't tell you one thing I've learned today from going to class.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,387 posts

Today I learned that people can come back from the dead. Skeleton_Pilot and Ernie15 being perfect examples.

Ferret
Ferret
9,281 posts

Nemo was demodded because he requested to be demodded. He will be greatly missed as a moderator by our whole moderation team, you can even see that Dan wished him off at his profile.

Oh, and today I learned we have 400 games that don't have tags. Yikes!

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,255 posts

Today I learned why my art teacher was absent.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,538 posts

Seeing Dan leave the comment on Nemo's profile surprised me. I guess he does more lurking than we think!

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,988 posts

I learned that Ivanxxxxx will be a mod

Showing 676-690 of 2132