ForumsNews and FeedbackSignatures

63 14698
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I have relized that people love to put their signatures at the bottom of their posts, so I thought about it and relized that Armorgames should let us have signatures, where we could make our own with limited space. I would say more but I'm really tired and its like 1am here.

• 63 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Aesthetics don't have a clear definition, the field is nebulous and contentious. As it is, many would argue that the white based forums we have are too clinical and too monotonous.

As for large fancy pictures/doodles/texts clogging up the thread, again I beg to differ. As Jacen has stated this size is limited to a certain resolution, presumably not too large to disorientate people. From perusing multiple forums and using them for ages, no, signatures do not cause disorganization and confusion given their predetermined sizes which have worked pretty well.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Why is a signature feature wanted? You are already capable of including signatures on your posts/comments as is, some users even do.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Why is a signature feature wanted? You are already capable of including signatures on your posts/comments as is, some users even do.

It's less work to create the signature once than for every post.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

A simple solution is to keep the signature saved in notepad then paste it at the end of your posts. All a signature feature will do is save ten seconds of your time, hardly worth implementing.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

More then ten seconds. It allows you to customize your font, size, colour, text effects without having to code it for yourself. It saves a huge amount of time. Currently, it requires one to constantly remember to copy and paste, or edit painstakingly, especially for new comers.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Didn't they remove coloured text and effects several months ago? Why would they decide to bring those back?

I'm all for a signature feature if it's limited amount of text and same as or slightly bigger than regular text, anything other than that can be quite annoying. I've been on forums that have signatures, and seeing all those colours and effects makes the forum ugly.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I thought they removed them because people were abusing it by impersonating mods/admins would colored text, and/or making galaxy size text.

If it was restricted to signatures, it would be obvious they aren't mods/admins because the rest of the post will be black, and galaxy size text will require scrolling.

~~~Darth Caedus

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I thought they removed them because people were abusing it by impersonating mods/admins would colored text, and/or making galaxy size text.

That didn't seem to happen much. Instead, the problem was with inappropriate redirect links. Besides, HTML is still allowed on abouts.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Given that HTML is still allowed on the about, AG's stance doesn't seem to be very and entirely clear.

Jacen or someone has already proposed a turn off function for the more queasy and epileptic. Limiting signatures to plain text that seems just an extension of a post defeats the very purposes of having a signature in the first place, which is to make each user more unique, stand out, and to gve a general sense of him or her without profile clicking.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

I've been to some threads and they keep the signature space to a limited. So if someone posts the tallest tower in the world, about 70% or it gets cut off. So maybe if you are planning to use signatues, make sure there is limited characters and if the immage is too big, cut off some parts.

So this way, people will resort to image hosting sites and shrink pictures they find so they don't get cut off if it's too big.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

There isn't really much point to having an image in your signature, unless said image was one of your name.

I don't really mind signatures on a forum, but I just think it makes the forum look less professional with the colour craze.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

We already have usernames, armatars and rank icons showing up for each post. Granted, apart of the username, the possibilities are rather restricted; but the armatars are somehow a distinctive feature of AG so letting us design individual avatars is probably out of question.

All of the personal information is kept on the side of the post, and usually there is still some free place left below it depending on the length of the comment. How about using that space for more individual configuration like a signature that would automatically resize to a max size if it's too big? That would somehow keep the signature frenzy away from the actual post.

zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

Less professional, you say? I don't think a small picture or couplelines of text would ruin anything.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

If you saw something like this at the bottom of every post.

http://www.auplod.com/u/odplua1ce53.png

Would you not get annoyed after a while?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Would you not get annoyed after a while?

I already want to stab you because of it

Now...imagine that picture..along with another one behind that..maybe a random looping gif next to it...and random quotes under it
Showing 31-45 of 63