Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Signatures

Posted Oct 7, '12 at 12:24am

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

Or, like I said before, you could also implement a way to turn off signatures if you don't like them.

That's really the key statement. As long as the site would have this, no one could complain. If they did, they're moronic. The people who want sigs could have it on, and the people who don't like sigs could turn it off.

Despite even this, the AMW forum would probably clog up into threads requesting sigs and sig competitions for the first few weeks. Oh well.

Posted Oct 7, '12 at 12:09pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,884 posts

Knight

Wouldn't you get tired of scrolling and seeing this picture over and over again?

Took me a swipe and two seconds on my phone, so.....no. I didn't mind one bit.

Posted Oct 7, '12 at 6:21pm

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

8,145 posts

I think it isn't the amount of time it takes to scroll through the data on the page with signatures that is the problem... the problem is that it becomes WAY more intensive to look through a forum page and read the posts as a lot of forums with signatures become clogged with data pretty quickly.
You end up reading the signatures too as you mistakenly see them as a post and this can become tiresome and to some people even up to the point of being irritated.

Having the option to turn them off would be a demanded term for me when they would allow signatures to be used. I would then turn it off permanently and hope the feature gets broken and stays off indefinitely! LOL ;)

Posted Oct 15, '12 at 2:45am

dhillon_99

dhillon_99

21 posts

signnatures are super cool

Posted Oct 15, '12 at 1:18pm

ProfessorOak

ProfessorOak

778 posts

The only reason I'd be against signatures in the forum would be that they can make the forum look ugly. One of the features that this community has, is that is looks pretty. It's an unnecessary addition and would take away from the uniformed design of the site.

On the other hand, if they added a feature to disable seeing other's signatures, then I really couldn't care less.

Posted Oct 15, '12 at 4:11pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,277 posts

One of the features that this community has, is that is looks pretty

^This

I've visited a good number of other communities that have signatures and it is just a complete mess. A person will only put 3 words on a topic, but it looks like they put like 3 paragraphs because of their signatures

Posted Oct 15, '12 at 5:14pm

Patrick2011

Patrick2011

3,397 posts

A person will only put 3 words on a topic, but it looks like they put like 3 paragraphs because of their signatures

^ Another reason to allow signatures to be toggled. If such an option is implemented, the mods could prevent abuse as follows:

What the mods can do with signatures off but not on:

-Detect short posts that are spammy

What the mods can do with signatures on but not off:

-Detect filler to hide spam
-Detect inappropriate signatures

How a user can abuse signatures if signatures cannot be turned off:

A user can use a long signature to hide spammy posts because the post will appear long and non-spammy to mods. While the mods might determine such a signature to be off-topic and therefore still spam, it will be easier to detect spam if the mods can turn off signatures.

Conclusion: I do not prefer signatures, but if they are implemented, it is necessary to implement toggling of the signatures. Signatures are annoying to some users and can be abused.

Posted Oct 15, '12 at 9:46pm

skydragon720

skydragon720

274 posts

I've visited a good number of other communities that have signatures and it is just a complete mess. A person will only put 3 words on a topic, but it looks like they put like 3 paragraphs because of their signatures

Unloyal to A.G.! The mods would make a limit of letters.

Posted Oct 15, '12 at 10:32pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

The mods would make a limit of letters.

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean they could post a very large photo. There are a couple of ways to deal with those issues, first and foremost the issue of a 'too-long' sig:

In solving the problem if there is too much in the sig (and if it were a picture, where regulating the amount of text in it wouldn't help), they could always make it so that if the signature exceeds something like 120 pixels in height a scrollbar would appear and instead of the entire sig taking up the page only part of it would (and you could scroll to see the rest). That would also solve the problem if someone tries to put an image that is a few thousand pixels long just to cause users to have to scroll down a while just to see if anyone posted below them.

In solving the problem of not being able to tell where the signature starts or not, they could ways implement a border at the top of the sig, or...

I just got another idea. Maybe perhaps instead of implementing the feature of turning off sigs (which would be good either way), you could always make so that it expands. Take a look at how Gmail does that: They have a little button to show the signature, that on the press reveals all it contains. I guess it may take a little more work for those who want to check the signature and whatnot, but it's still a viable (though more unlikely) option.

Posted Oct 16, '12 at 9:12pm

skydragon720

skydragon720

274 posts

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean they could post a very large photo. There are a couple of ways to deal with those issues, first and foremost the issue of a 'too-long' sig:

What about the letters in the link?

Reply to Signatures

You must be logged in to post a reply!