Forums

ForumsNewcomers Forum

Whats the red dot for?

Posted Sep 26, '12 at 6:19pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

Smells like they're just adding bits and pieces that were going to be on AG3 onto AG2, because AG3 is scrapped.

Boppins is one person, not the entire AG development team. Also, they wouldn't be hiring developers under 6-month contracts if they weren't planning on getting SOMETHING done.

While you can't really assume that they are actually getting anything done, you can't really assume that they aren't doing anything either. Even if AG3 has been temporarily cancelled, there are features being either fixed or added to the site, and thus there is some progress on the AG website.

I have to ask, while I'm at it... will the feature underneath the date of joining return? The one that said where the user 'is'? That was nice and I enjoyed it a lot. =)

Oh yeah, I was wondering about that. That, and the website link in the control panel, and the timestamp on the forums (date vs. time)... Not really necessary, but would be convenient, I suppose.

Posted Sep 26, '12 at 7:10pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,693 posts

Knight

Boppins is one person, not the entire AG development team.

It seems like he's the only one that can do things correctly.

Also, they wouldn't be hiring developers under 6-month contracts if they weren't planning on getting SOMETHING done.

They have been getting things done, but for AG2. This feature is exactly what they were going to put on AG3. It shows exactly what you're doing on the site; playing a certain game, browsing/posting in the forum, etc.

you can't really assume that they aren't doing anything either.

You can.

- No word on anything relating to AG3.
- Updates being done on AG2. (Cormyn said they wouldn't focus on AG2)
- Updates on AG2 consisting of what was going to be on AG3.

Even if AG3 has been temporarily cancelled, there are features being either fixed or added to the site, and thus there is some progress on the AG website.

Progress for AG2. If they were still working on AG3 don't you think they'd talk to us about it. Boppins could easily do so in the AG3 subforum, we know he's online and posts, but he chooses not to.

Have you gone through the list of admins since the online feature was added? I have every few hours today to see if they actually use the site, and the only one that has been online is Boppins.

Posted Sep 26, '12 at 8:01pm

redslaughterer

redslaughterer

210 posts

Oooh, maybe I should have payed a little more attention to this forum. I just noticed that the dot is working again. My reaction is a little late, though.

Posted Sep 26, '12 at 8:14pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

you can't really assume that they aren't doing anything either.

You can.

- No word on anything relating to AG3.
- Updates being done on AG2. (Cormyn said they wouldn't focus on AG2)
- Updates on AG2 consisting of what was going to be on AG3.

My point was not solely on AG3, but AG2 also, as to at least provide some sort of optimism. It is evident that they are in fact doing something, since such functions as these have arisen.

Progress for AG2. If they were still working on AG3 don't you think they'd talk to us about it. Boppins could easily do so in the AG3 subforum, we know he's online and posts, but he chooses not to.

Perhaps they want to make it more of a surprise - it's a moonshot thought, but it would reflect much on their silence and vague wording while they weren't.

So AG3 may not ever appear - however, RonJohn did mention rather vaguely, but specifically at the same time, that they would 'apply all that they learned' to AG, which may be AG2, or may mean a new site altogether. We don't know. In the same respect, whatever big changes they may enforce will only be for the better, and even if it means very subtle changes, what do we get? A reinforced AG.

I do hope that this isn't AG trying to please all the crowds - I remember some people complaining that AG3 was change for the worse, blah blah blah. I do sincerely hope that this is not their suck-up to all of the users complaining about AG's upgrades in system and aesthetics. Over time, it will only drag down AG. I remember getting on this site over at a friend's house recently, and he said, "No, don't go on there! It'll give you viruses!" That's certainly what it looks like - not very presentable or professional. It isn't very distinct as it is.

Even so, I doubt that as "what [they've] learned" that these few, simple features (and indeed, features that AG has had in the past) will be all that they'll implement if they decide to go on the gradual upgrade route. Given how many people are on their team, I highly doubt that they accomplished so little with what they "tried". If you saw the closed beta, it had much more depth than the open beta, and I doubt that they would scrap ALL of what they did during that time. Even since then, they've hired new people. I mean, (no offense, Boppins :P) give me two or three free months on my hand and access to AG's codes, and I may be able to figure out and fix some of AG's bugs that have been around for a while. Based on my experience with coding, I don't suppose that changing the timestamp on the forums back to the way it used to be a year ago would be too hard to do.

Have you gone through the list of admins since the online feature was added? I have every few hours today to see if they actually use the site, and the only one that has been online is Boppins.

Perhaps that is because they are busy with something else. As I mentioned, there is an entire development team, not just Boppins, who has seemed to show only his head.

Posted Sep 26, '12 at 8:46pm

Blackbeltr0

Blackbeltr0

736 posts

it is for telling who is on and who is not

Posted Sep 26, '12 at 9:30pm

Balloon__Girl

Balloon__Girl

195 posts

Oh my goodness! That is fun! I never even bothered to wonder what the red dot was for before. And now that I am looking for it I just noticed someone with a green dot. I am so oblivious. :P

Posted Sep 27, '12 at 6:16am

R2D21999

R2D21999

8,583 posts

Thx boppins I bow to your great bug fixing problems.

Posted Sep 28, '12 at 10:12pm

AceofSky

AceofSky

728 posts

Boppins, I am embarrassed quite a lot now. I'm very sorry for doubting your powers. For two years, the button has been like that and thought it was unfixable without mass lagging, but now I see that you could do it!!!!

Good job!

It seems like he's the only one that can do things correctly.

He seems to be the main go-to-person to talk about the problems and seems active/can be reached easily too!

Posted Oct 2, '12 at 5:10pm

credop

credop

37 posts

Red means a person is offline, Green means online. It's sort of broken, but will hopefully get up and going for AG3

Posted Oct 2, '12 at 9:10pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,704 posts

He seems to be the main go-to-person to talk about the problems and seems active/can be reached easily too!

Can we...can we keep him?! I promise I'll feed him and love him and let him out to potty!

It's sort of broken, but will hopefully get up and going for AG3

If you had read the thread you would have found it is actually fixed

Reply to Whats the red dot for?

You must be logged in to post a reply!