Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

[NECRO] Why is that everytime i encounter a religious Christian i feel offended, why do they feel like th...

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 1, '12 at 8:43am

HighSkyOverlord

HighSkyOverlord

5 posts

Religous Topic
p.s. im athiest.

Posted Oct 1, '12 at 8:52am

Laughable97

Laughable97

83 posts

I think you're in the wrong area, the WEPR (World, events, politics and religion) is next door. It gets pretty heated there and we taverners prefer to relax without people fighting inside the bar.

Posted Oct 1, '12 at 2:44pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,592 posts

What mod moved this and didn't lock it for op spam?

Fyi High Sky, the title of the thread is the general topic, the OP (Opening pot) is to explain whatever the thread is about.

Since the main idea of this thread is cut off at..."why do they feel like th..." I can only guess at what you're asking.

1) Why do they feel like they need to try and convert me?
2) Why do they feel like they look down on me?
3) Why do they feel like they think I am a bad person?

etc.

So...until that's answered no one can really say anything.

Posted Oct 1, '12 at 6:14pm

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,859 posts

I don't know but I have a question of my own
"Why do I feel offended when an ignorant atheist/ christian/ jew/ hindu/star trek fan/ star wars fan/ super man fan tries to impose his/her religious views/ favourite movies/ favourite comic book character?"
P.S
I am muslim.
My favorite movie is the Inglorious basterds.
My favorite heroes(anti- heroes?)
are The Punisher and Rorschach.

Posted Oct 1, '12 at 6:23pm

_Spaz_

_Spaz_

126 posts

I just don't think it's JUST Christianity. That religion gets so much heat lol. How about Odinism? or Satanists?

Posted Oct 1, '12 at 11:48pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

I just don't think it's JUST Christianity. That religion gets so much heat lol. How about Odinism? or Satanists?

It's mostly a popularity thing. With 78% or so of the US identifying as Christians, you rarely hear about others. Only 1.7% follow Judiasm. Even Islam, with over a billion members worldwide, is followed by just 0.6% of US adults. 0.7% for Buddhism. 0.4% for Hinduism. 1.2% for everything else. Other than on this site, I've never personally heard/met anyone directly supporting/preaching Odinism or Satanism, never on the news either. I have met a Wiccian, though, and she was certainly not pushy about it.

Posted Oct 2, '12 at 12:43am

SSTG

SSTG

11,115 posts

Knight

With 78% or so of the US identifying as Christians

You mean arrogantly self titled Christians. In fact they are protestants which is a sub branch of Christianity, nothing else.
Also, their Jesus spells Je$$u$ so that says it all.

Posted Oct 2, '12 at 3:10am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,083 posts

Knight

You mean arrogantly self titled Christians. In fact they are protestants which is a sub branch of Christianity, nothing else.

Errrr... sub-branch of christianity = christian, and catholic = sub-branch of christianity too, by definition; as far as I'm concerned. Just because you apparently don't like all protestants doesn't mean they're not christian.
Besides, watching some old catholic churches full of golden ornaments and whatnot, I think the money issue doesn't even impose itself here.

And yeah, everyone prefers that all others share your convictions than the contrary; I think this is normal. It's just that some religions make it their "holy duty" to convince all others, thus caricaturizing said trait to the extreme.

Posted Oct 2, '12 at 3:13am

SSTG

SSTG

11,115 posts

Knight

Errrr... sub-branch of christianity = christian, and catholic = sub-branch of christianity too, by definition; as far as I'm concerned. Just because you apparently don't like all protestants doesn't mean they're not christian.

Where did I mention Catholics, of course they are part of Christianity but they don't arrogantly call themselves the only Christians the way the American version of the Protestants do.

Posted Oct 2, '12 at 7:59am

StDrake

StDrake

191 posts

Besides, watching some old catholic churches full of golden ornaments and whatnot, I think the money issue doesn't even impose itself here.

yeah that part of SSTG confused me too, I saw some facts I agreed wiht, but the post as a whole was like "wtf?" It wasn't so obvious that he was implying protestants claim to bethe only "true" Christians.
As for money issues - don't look at the churches themselves. Especially the old ones were designed to impress commoners with the "maginificence of God". That could've made sense those centuries ago, but worse are those people who treat religion as business now in our times. That would actuald apply to more than just those chri$tian$.

Comming back to topic - it doesn't make sense. So you're offended by just meeting religious Christians? Then that puts YOU on the offence. Perhaps that's why you're meeting with retribution - if you start saying they're wrong to be religious, they'll try to defend themselves and convince you they're not.