ForumsWEPRAlcohol

41 8171
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

The drinking age in Britain is 18. Politicians are trying to raise it to 21. I think this is a bad idea. Britain does have a culture where people drink heavily which isnt a good thing, but raising the law will just give the police something else to worry about. Most people in Britain first get drunk when they are 14, and so to raise the age to 21 is hypocritical. They should try and eliminate underage drinking in very young teens first before they try and stop 18 year olds from drinking. I wouldnt like England to be like America where u can get married fight and die for your country but cant get a drink. What do you think. Is it a good idea to raise the drinking age or is it a bad one?

• 41 Replies
Devoirity
Devoirity
62 posts
Nomad

Well, shame about Drinking Age, as in England, it is legal to consume alcohol in the home, from the age of 12.

What really is going up, is the legal age to buy alcohol, but keep in mind that buying alcohol, or cigarettes for that matter, for anyone under the legal age to Buy it, is a criminal offence.

And I'm talking about, the situation in England, not America.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Woody, i think it's crazy, raising the age. Im from N.ireland, so therefore this change applies to me too, and i turn 18 next year and if it comes into effect it would be deadful. i agree with what youre saying about the young ages, combatting the younger ones should be dealt with first. In N.ireland, drinking usually starts amongst 12 year olds, which i think is ridiculous. i say keep it at 18.

RathRaid
RathRaid
129 posts
Nomad

I believe that the drinking age should be raised. Some teens at the age of 18 are still "hotheaded" and will drink and do something just to prove themselves, and cause several possible deaths.

Just for the sake of humor:
"Welcome to BBC. Today's top story, England has raised the leagal drinking age to 21. This will most certainly cause many debates, arguements, and riots".

"In other news, deaths in England caused by drinking and driving has dropped 400% just this past week."

Henrytheonlygameking
Henrytheonlygameking
677 posts
Nomad

just saying is not like you americans dont have a drinking prob over ther and to be honist

Devoirity
Devoirity
62 posts
Nomad

*sigh*
How many posts do I have to make?

In England, there is NO Drinking age!
Well, from above the age of 12.

They are raising the age of which someone can legally Purchase alcohol, for themselves, or directly for someone else who is above the age limit for [/b]Buying[b] alocohol.

Facts, hopefully straightened.

N.B Any minor caught drinking in a public area, is liable to be sent for a night in the cells, at the police station, and the parents/carers are also liable to be fined for, 'Gross negligence in the upbringing of the child', but this grows less common, the older the offender is.

Devoirity
Devoirity
62 posts
Nomad

*sigh*
How many posts do I have to make?

In England, there is NO Drinking age!
Well, from above the age of 12.

They are raising the age of which someone can legally Purchase alcohol, for themselves, or directly for someone else who is above the age limit for [/b]Buying[b] alocohol.

Facts, hopefully straightened.

N.B Any minor caught drinking in a public area, is liable to be sent for a night in the cells, at the police station, and the parents/carers are also liable to be fined for, 'Gross negligence in the upbringing of the child', but this grows less common, the older the offender is.

killingman
killingman
541 posts
Nomad

no differ

Devoirity
Devoirity
62 posts
Nomad

How is there no difference, when you can legally drink, but not buy?

Which is different to most American states, as in, No buying and absolutely no drinking.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

The whole age thing is different. it's not just simply legal to drink from a young age. it's legal to drink under 18 when on private property with the consent of your parents. 18s the age to purchase and to go out to clubs/bars. i dont think it'll take effect staight away. it'll be a few years most likely.

Devoirity
Devoirity
62 posts
Nomad

Thank you, Jeff, for clearing the metaphorical air.

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

Well here were I live it is illegal to drink till 18 but I wont drink well mabey some when I am older but I wont get wasted.

Showing 31-41 of 41