Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

[NECRO] Catholics aren't Christians, and other myths (apologetics thread)

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 18, '12 at 12:36am

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

3,561 posts

I have a question, do you believe in Sola Scriptura, if so, can you explain the differing beliefs of Martin Luther and today's protestants?

I'm afraid I don't know what "sola scriptura" is. Protestants meaning that they don't agree with the Catholic Church? Assuming so you can't put them all into a single category, a single belief set. As you said, there are about 38,000 different denominations and who knows how many undenominationsl churches. So wouldn't that make about 38,000 different denominational protestant churches and X number of nondenominational churches, with extremely different beliefs sometimes? Like Mormons to 7th day Adventists to Lutherans to baptists.

Posted Oct 18, '12 at 1:00am

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

5,011 posts

I'm afraid I don't know what "sola scriptura" is.

It's the belief that all knowledge for salvation can be found in the bible.

Posted Oct 18, '12 at 2:10am

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

3,561 posts

Oh. Well yeah I believe that. Since it sounds like you don't then tell me where in the bible does it even hint that you can't be saved based on the bible, that the bible isn't enough to save?

Posted Oct 18, '12 at 3:40am

shock457

shock457

470 posts

Hmmm. Wonder how this thread came to be.

Judiasm...Christianity...Muslims
               |
               V
          Catholicism

They are in order by the way.

Catholicism can be broken down.

-Roman Catholicism
-Byzantine Catholicism
-Eastern Catholicism?

Each have a different way to worship the same God. It just depends how you do your religion basically.

Posted Oct 18, '12 at 10:27am

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,278 posts

Judiasm...Christianity...Muslims
...............|
...............V
..........Catholicism

If you ask some Christians, they will say it should be like this.
Judaism...Christianity...Catholicism...Islam and some will probably blurt out, "You're wrong, only (insert Denomination or Christian) worship the correct God, everyone else worships a different one."

Oh. Well yeah I believe that. Since it sounds like you don't then tell me where in the bible does it even hint that you can't be saved based on the bible, that the bible isn't enough to save?

So, you are saying that the bible is the pillar and foundation of truth?

It's the belief that all knowledge for salvation can be found in the bible.

Thanks for explaining that, surprising how Latin went from dominant language, to language no one speaks, in such a short time. Wonder how long it will take for English to do the same.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Oct 18, '12 at 10:31am

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,278 posts

@shock, there are actually many different rites of Catholicism and then their are the Orthodox churches, which are in schism, (do not follow the pope), and finally, all of the 38000 different protestant denominations.

sorry for dp

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Oct 18, '12 at 11:52pm

Christotheking

Christotheking

2 posts

I wold have to say that Catholics are christains, because they believe in almost all the same things.

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 12:46am

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

3,561 posts

@jacen: the bible even said that it can save, and it doesn't say that you need the pope or Devine knowledge from the pope to be saved

2 Tomothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Does that sound like the bible doesn't have everything you need to be saved?

And if that's not enough I have more

Romans 1:16

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ,[a] for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

And if you read acts 2 and peter's sermon on the Pentecost you'll see that 3,000 people were saved after hearing only peter's sermon and little else from what they might have previously heard and from the Old Testament, so if they could be saved without the whole Gospel, why couldn't we?

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 12:50am

TheMostManlyMan

TheMostManlyMan

3,561 posts

*without the whole bible* pardon me

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 11:04am

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,278 posts

2 Timothy chapter 3 verse 15, "the Church is the pillar and foundation (ground) of truth."

Looks like the Bible says to look towards the CHURCH for truth.

~~~Darth Caedus