ForumsWEPRPresidential Debate Tonight

50 17837
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

Alright, Debate #1 of 3 is coming up at 9 ET. Who do you think is going to come out on top, do you think that this is going to have an impact on the presidential race, and what surprises might we see? This debate is on domestic policy, and is sure to have lots of issues like the economy, gay marriage, and other civil rights like abortion.

• 50 Replies
handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

I'm pleased that the President got his act together for the second debate. I like the way he stood up to Romney. I have more faith in a win for Obama now.

ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

Oops, sorry for the double post.

Not sure how that happened. But I am voting for Obama because the cumulative debt of the United States in the fiscal years 2001-2007 was approximately $4.08 trillion, or about 40.8% of the total national debt at the time of that completion of approximately $10.0 trillion.

I think a lot of people fail to understand just how badly effected the economy was when Obama took office. Unemployment was on the rise, already at 7.2% at the end of 2008. Economic disparity rose and the percentage of people in poverty rose from 11% in 2000 to 13% in 2008. The ball started rolling down hill for 8 years with Bush. Is it surprising that it might take more than four years to stop that?

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Wow, Obama clearly proved how uninformed Romney is and that his BS is totally meaningless. All Romney did was to repeat what Obama said previously but louder.
If the elections were based on this debate then Obama will be president again.
Unfortunately, the malicious campaign of misinformation and lies spewed by the Conservative camp (rich parasites) might still influence people toward their idiotic ideas.
But that reply from Obama about military not using bayonet anymore was priceless. That totally shut Romney up. xD

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

On foreign policy overall, Obama did win. But whenever the economy came up, which was very frequent, Romney was in the zone. For example, you likely heard Obama bring up Romney's 'lan to let Detroit fail'. He said to check the facts on that quote. Here's the original text. Romney did have a plan to guarantee funding for the companies after a managed bankruptcy instead of wasting it on a bailout. Bailout money was wasted when GM and Chrysler declared bankruptcy.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Romney did have a plan to guarantee funding for the companies after a managed bankruptcy

instead of wasting it on a bailout.

isn't that the same thing?

you fund them so they don't fall over...
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

isn't that the same thing?
you fund them so they don't fall over...

His plan: fund after bankruptcy
Bailout: fund before to prevent bankruptcy (which didn't work)

He's fine with the government stepping in, but he disagreed with the timing.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

As if it weren't bad enough, ******** CEOs like David Siegel are blackmailing their employees saying that if they vote for Obama, they will lose their job. Talk about Conservative at their worse. These criminals will do anything, I mean anything to prevent Obama from being re-elected. That's scary, Imagine what will happen if this Romney hypocrite gets elected. Maybe my GF will finally be convinced to move to Canada.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

CEOs like David Siegel are blackmailing their employees saying that if they vote for Obama, they will lose their job.

Heard about that. Even though there is no way he could control his employees' vote (right??), he sure puts some pressure on them. Though this is technically not Romney's fault.

I quite like the term 'Romnesia', however. It's very fitting
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

seen parts of it while i was busy now.
and what keeps bugging me is that romney wants more usa influence abroad.

didn't the republicans learn anything the last 10 year?
fix your own country. and don't stick your noses in the problems of others.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Heard about that. Even though there is no way he could control his employees' vote (right??), he sure puts some pressure on them. Though this is technically not Romney's fault.

No it's not, but it is telling of the group at large being voted in with Romney.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

It's not like conservatives are the only ones who do that. Jussayin'.

That was a link of a troll who said Romney sucks. Why are you comparing it to a boss who tries to blackmail his employees out of voting for Obama? I think there's a big difference.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

it's not like the left-wing doesn't do anything even close to it.

I see blackmail for both and almost certainly both problems wouldn't get so far as to be fulfilled

I agree that there are people who support Obama who probably do the same thing, but the link you gave implied that you were going to actually give an example of one. I dunno, it just seems like your point would have gotten across a lot better if you gave an example that was pretty much the same. (But with the boss being an Obama supporter of course.)
Sauron23
Sauron23
275 posts
Peasant

Romney did better in the first one, but Obama did better in the other two. One thing I don't understand about Romney's plan: he says that he's going to make tax cuts, put more money into education and the military, but where is he going to get all of this money if he's making tax cuts?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

He says he will get it through closing tax loops; which has been proven by non partisan think tanks to be rot. There is no such thing as a free lunch; spending more whilst saying you can cut back on sources of revenue defies basic arithmetic.

Showing 31-45 of 50