ForumsArt, Music, and WritingNaNoWriMo 2012

53 18644
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

It's almost that time of year again, but it seems like no one is here.

Anyone else taking this up?

• 53 Replies
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

It is built and can hold over 800 50k word novels (one novel per small chest). Over 900 if I optimize it. Over 1000 if they ever make bookshelves functional like chests.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Did you cheat for the resources used in construction (coloring the wool could be tricky) or did you earn them by the sweat of your brow? I have to decide whether or not I respect you.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I have a wool farm built for 8 sheep of every color.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Minecraft is as totally relevant to NaNoWriMo as having write-ins in coffee shops. Okay so it's not... entirely, but it's still relevant... somewhat.

Biggest reason I never attend write-ins is that they're always in some place called "Artsy Café", "Café Foreign Word", "Owner's Name's Coffee", "Adjective Noun House of Coffee/Coffee House", "Name that has nothing to do with coffee but is a coffee place that is aimed at a particular group of people but is open to everyone but they would not think to go here because it doesn't sound like a place they would go to". Certainly, they're quite suitable places (wi-fi, food/drink, open late, etc.), but mainly, I just don't like to be around people who hang out at coffee places to write.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Minecraft is totally relevant to NaNoWriMo, if you go by demographics. Though I never got into Minecraft, it's just not a good idea given my work commitments...

I will not be doing nanowrimo this year, due to said working commitments. I don't think I'll be doing it until at least 2014, and that's provided I pass my FRACP exams first go. And even then, usually as an advanced trainee, fellow or consultant one finds way for work to keep them busy...

...actually you know what, I'm starting out with a pretty cushy nights rotation, you know this may be doable... and I really do need a reason to finish the main ending of the WoM by Halloween...

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

and I really do need a reason to finish the main ending of the WoM by Halloween...

Can't all your patients suddenly develop stage 4 kidney cancer and have to go to hospice, thus leaving you free to write?
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Minecraft is totally relevant to NaNoWriMo, if you go by demographics. Though I never got into Minecraft, it's just not a good idea given my work commitments...

I'm willing to bet the Minecraft demographic is more skewed toward (middle-aged) males and NaNoWriMo toward (middle-aged) females.

I will not be doing nanowrimo this year, due to said working commitments. I don't think I'll be doing it until at least 2014, and that's provided I pass my FRACP exams first go. And even then, usually as an advanced trainee, fellow or consultant one finds way for work to keep them busy...

So I take it you learned from that one time you did all 50000 in a week or so only to scrap everything you wrote.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

1 week left until the start of NaNo.

It already appears I'm drifting back into old habits with the way I'm writing out notes on the plot. It's probably going to turn out really bad like it always does before I don't finish.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Alright, I'll try this. The fact that Gantic is probably also going to do a horrible job and then fail inspires me to do the same.

Three options help me pick one:
-The Loner is a science fiction story about philosophy and physics. It loosely centers on the development of its titular character, a Boltzmann brain.
-The American Dreamer is about a girl who whines for like 200 pages until she gets what she wants randomly. The story is about how she finds love without really trying, and that's terrible. More broadly, it's about failing to find meaning in life.
-Dog Girl is a fantasy piece. First of all, if no one knows my feelings on fantasy, I think it's pretty much a waste of the paper its printed on. Fit for teaching children to read and that's about it. Anyway, Dog Girl is a narrative poem about a gay zoophilic elf, which I suppose is a little redundant. It's about good and evil, and dharma and tao. More broadly, it's about how everything you like is terrible and I hate you. Chalk it up as satire.

So pick one for me!

And Strop, stop being a baby and write a novel in a month.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

-The Loner is a science fiction story about philosophy and physics. It loosely centers on the development of its titular character, a Boltzmann brain.

It's been done. Sequels, movies, and movie sequels.

-The American Dreamer is about a girl who whines for like 200 pages until she gets what she wants randomly. The story is about how she finds love without really trying, and that's terrible. More broadly, it's about failing to find meaning in life.

It's also been done. Sequels, movies, and movie sequels made for the trash can.

-Dog Girl is a fantasy piece. First of all, if no one knows my feelings on fantasy, I think it's pretty much a waste of the paper its printed on. Fit for teaching children to read and that's about it. Anyway, Dog Girl is a narrative poem about a gay zoophilic elf, which I suppose is a little redundant. It's about good and evil, and dharma and tao. More broadly, it's about how everything you like is terrible and I hate you. Chalk it up as satire.

Need I say it again?

Honestly Xzeno, you should write a book pointing out stupidity. That'd be pretty funny, and you'd be good at it.
xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

What is NaNoWriMo?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

It's okay..it's only 1666-1667 words every day for thirty days...it's no big deal. No sweat! Yeah, I can do it, no prob.

It's not cheating or exploiting if you start off with something already written and add 50K words to it by the end, is it?

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

The fact that Gantic is probably also going to do a horrible job and then fail inspires me to do the same.

I'll have you know I have a history of failing these things.

It's not cheating or exploiting if you start off with something already written and add 50K words to it by the end, is it?

It's cheating if you care to follow this seemingly arbitrary rule.
xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

Wait a minute.... If i join i have to write a novel???? And to add a chapter after each day?? And everything to have a meaning????

Showing 16-30 of 53