Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

NaNoWriMo 2012

Posted Oct 26, '12 at 2:04pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,437 posts

The fact that Gantic is probably also going to do a horrible job and then fail inspires me to do the same.

I'll have you know I have a history of failing these things.

It's not cheating or exploiting if you start off with something already written and add 50K words to it by the end, is it?

It's cheating if you care to follow this seemingly arbitrary rule.

Posted Oct 26, '12 at 6:21pm

xerox

xerox

316 posts

Wait a minute.... If i join i have to write a novel???? And to add a chapter after each day??  And everything to have a meaning????

Posted Oct 26, '12 at 6:30pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,437 posts

The goal is to get 50000 words of your story down in 30 days, but you don't have to. There's no obligation. What you do is up to you. The only reason you have to reach the goal is you wanting to reach the goal. You can just have fun.

Posted Oct 26, '12 at 6:32pm

xerox

xerox

316 posts

I should make an outline D: I have no time .... 50k words is too much to make them on the moment.. BTW I'll need a word count so i can see how many words I'm done with, so to know will my time will be enough. Also the biggest problem is that I'm not from English speaking country so if i want to use some fancy words i need to google a lot(Or you guys can do something to help???) Ahhh i need to know how the police works, if im gonna make a crime novel, with an supernatural ending and stuff D:

AWWWW my head hurts.... I go to school.. and when i write i do it in 3 stages -> Outline. raw and complete. Now i have to go from outline to complete..... i have to make the story, the beginning, the end, and few stuff so i can develop the story as i go, but gahhh Im so anxious and nervous, never done such a big thing....  50k words .. I dont know if i can ever reach 10k.. The stories i made so far are only 6-7 max 10 pages long.....  that's no more than 2k words i suppose?????

Posted Oct 26, '12 at 8:07pm

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

Also the biggest problem is that I'm not from English speaking country so if i want to use some fancy words i need to google a lot

Write in your own language, no one but you are going to read it anyway (unless you decide to - publish it).

I have been doing NaNo while writing exam assignments. It's not super hard, it just means yo have to compromise the quality and how well you word your sentences. But edits are what December is for.

It's, what, 1700ish words a day. If you are in the mood, it's done fast.

Posted Oct 27, '12 at 7:05am

xerox

xerox

316 posts

Wait a minute, so this is not a contest? Oh i trough this is a contest and someone actually reads the novels and rates them...

Posted Oct 27, '12 at 12:08pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

This next week I have to turn in a report for honors and a chapter, so this may be the best timing for NaNoWriMo, evur. I won't have to turn in another report for another five weeks, but that also means a lot of intense writing sessions so that I can get in the 50k words before the next one comes. I almost certainly won't feel like getting back to writing once I start on something else, so we'll see how this turns out...

And I still need to decide how I'm actually forming my vague book. Fun fun.

Wait a minute, so this is not a contest? Oh i trough this is a contest and someone actually reads the novels and rates them...

Nope! Just an accomplishment if you finish it :D

Posted Oct 29, '12 at 11:02am

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

It's not cheating or exploiting if you start off with something already written and add 50K words to it by the end, is it?

That arbitrary rule apparently existed to protect foolhardy NaNoers from ruining the "anything goes" approach and making life harder for themselves. Once I'd done NaNo once, I decided to ignore it, and I agree, it makes things harder, but not impossible. However...

So I take it you learned from that one time you did all 50000 in a week or so only to scrap everything you wrote.

Yeah. Basically I don't want to get lost in "forever revisions" land.

Anyway, I've failed to finish the WoM before Halloween, and also it turns out instead of cushy nights, I'm covering the Renal unit for 3 weeks. Also I still have to finish writing up my PREP requirements otherwise the RACP won't let me progress to BPT2 and that would make my DPE pretty unhappy (doubly so since she's also my ES), so I better get the CEX, LNA, and PQR done...

So go bugger yourself Xzeno, and finish revising your WoM scene already!

Posted Oct 30, '12 at 8:28pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,437 posts

One of the most relevant words I have come across, something akin to pulling an all-nighter. Still relevant to NaNo.

Less than two days to go before it starts.

Also I still have to finish writing up my PREP requirements otherwise the RACP won't let me progress to BPT2 and that would make my DPE pretty unhappy (doubly so since she's also my ES), so I better get the CEX, LNA, and PQR done...

I'm sure you can probably write 50000 words trying to explain all of those initialisms to us non-medical people.

Posted Oct 31, '12 at 12:26am

Balloon__Girl

Balloon__Girl

195 posts

Wow this sounds like a fun challenge. Debating if I want to try. I don't think I will be able to complete a story, but might be fun to try.

Reply to NaNoWriMo 2012

You must be logged in to post a reply!