Forums

ForumsVideo Games

The Free Peoples Must Stand Together!

Posted Oct 10, '12 at 2:16am

Sabrith

Sabrith

10 posts

I would like to inform you of a Lord of the Rings fan modification of the Elder Scrolls Skyrim, which has recently been issued a cease and desist letter from Warner Brothers Entertainment. The mod's name is MERP (Middle earth Roleplaying Project), which has been in development since before 2008 (though then for a different game). Since then, the team has matured and the mod has seen a huge boost in quality, fan support and development experience.

Now we need all the support we can get from fans, other modders, game websites, famous people and whoever can help to spread news about our current situation to show Warner Bros. how much everyone cares about our project.

After contact with Warner Brothers, they did not permit us to continue the project privately with no public releases. We have contact with a lawyer who is trying to argue our case as transformative and under 'fair use', but we also need all the support we can get!

Please help our cause, and spread the news and don't let this awesome non-profit project come to an end!

We have a petition, Facebook pages, and a twitter hashtag ΓΆ" #SaveMERP

Facebook: Facebook.com

Petition: Gopetition.com

Our main news and blog site is: Moddb.com

Please help us and spread the news!

Together we can save MERP!

--MERP fans and gamers

Posted Oct 11, '12 at 11:39am

Gamer_Cale

Gamer_Cale

1,418 posts

There is already lord of the rings online game why do they need another?

Posted Oct 11, '12 at 2:10pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,258 posts

Knight

I don't know much of that business, but with your Middle Earth mod for Skyrim you're blatantly using some other's registered stuff for non-private use (mods that you put in the internet are usually not private anymore). I wish you a great amount of luck, for you will need it.

Posted Oct 12, '12 at 7:11pm

Sabrith

Sabrith

10 posts

It is not online. It has been worked on for years as a fan's dream of creating their favourite universe inside their favourite RPG.

Posted Oct 13, '12 at 7:41am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,258 posts

Knight

But you're advertising it on a website. It definitely sounds as if you are going to offer it for download. I can see why you're getting in trouble.

Posted Oct 13, '12 at 9:20am

d_dude

d_dude

3,584 posts

Doesn't this happen a lot? Can't they continue working on this in secret, and then when it's finished it somehow strangely gets leaked and ends up on uTorrent?

Posted Oct 24, '12 at 1:17am

Sabrith

Sabrith

10 posts

We understand all this, but signing the petition could help.

Reply to The Free Peoples Must Stand Together!

You must be logged in to post a reply!