Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

Programming Languages

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 12:43pm

ironblade41

ironblade41

530 posts

Does anyone know about some good programming languages to learn and how to learn them? I've always wanted to program a game and now seems like a good time to get a start.

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 12:52pm

reside

reside

7 posts

javascript or actionscript ?

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 1:37pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

If you want to make games for AG, you'll need to learn flash. I personally like actionscript though.

I hope my guide will help you get started: Click this.

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 2:23pm

jeol

jeol

3,964 posts

I went to a college that I'm interested in for a computer science event, and he said that the best language to start learning with is C++. I guess that surprised me a little, but since it's so strict if you learn it it's easier to grasp other languages faster and you won't really have to learn how to code more effectively.

Plus, most (good) video games are based off of C++. Either that, Java, or C#, I'm pretty sure.

Nevertheless, the place to look as Sal mentioned would be would be AS2 or AS3, if you want to be making games for AG.

@Sal: ActionScript is Flash, though, isn't it?

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 3:40pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

@Sal: ActionScript is Flash, though, isn't it?

It's a part of it. It isn't the entire thing. It's like jQuery compared to JavaScript.

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 10:29pm

jeol

jeol

3,964 posts

It's a part of it. It isn't the entire thing. It's like jQuery compared to JavaScript.

Either way, if you write in ActionScript, it will be a Flash program, though.

Ah, I see what you're saying now - AS compared to other options for developing in Flash. I suppose it is at the least the most flexible option available :P

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 9:14pm

KentyBK

KentyBK

571 posts

Either way, if you write in ActionScript, it will be a Flash program, though.

Not quite. If anything, it's the Javascript to Flash being Eclipse or something similar.

Flash is an IDE. Action Script is a programming language.

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 11:07pm

jeol

jeol

3,964 posts

Flash is an IDE. Action Script is a programming language.

So you can actually create something with ActionScript outside of Flash?

Hrm.

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 11:59pm

BRAAINZz

BRAAINZz

797 posts

Well, if you want to make anything for AG, you have to learn Actionscript. There are tonnes of languages that you can learn though.
My school has me on a mix of Turing and C# and they seem pretty good to work with.

Posted Oct 24, '12 at 7:02pm

Darkroot

Darkroot

2,875 posts

So you can actually create something with ActionScript outside of Flash?

Adobe AIR, but I wouldn't recommend making game in it though.

Python is the best for learning the basics of programming. There are literally thousand of resources online. Just google "learn python" and you will find something.

Reply to Programming Languages

You must be logged in to post a reply!