Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

[dup]Arguments for God

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 2:32pm

wgalstin4

wgalstin4

6 posts

Hi everyone,

I would like for anyone that thinks they have a convincing argument for the existence of God to post it here.

It doesn't matter if you're a believer or not, but I'd just like to see if anyone can provide an argument for the existence of God which can stand up to reasoning.

Most arguments for God's existence turn out to be circular, or can be reduced to faith alone which for me isn't enough.

I know people will say that the point in religion and God isn't to argue for His/Her/It's existence, but that the whole point is faith etc., and I acknowledge this as a valid point but one that is not relevant to this topic.

So any convincing arguments, please fire away!

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 3:41pm

DSM

DSM

795 posts

the fact that the world exist is an evidence for god existence.

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 4:06pm

Blackbeltr0

Blackbeltr0

736 posts

why is the world not 1 foot further or 1 foot closer to the sun so that we would not be here?????

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 4:23pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,094 posts

why is the world not 1 foot further or 1 foot closer to the sun so that we would not be here?

it's called the circumstellar habitable zone or CHZ.
it's not 1 foot wide but some million miles wide ;)
here is a nice simulator =)

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 4:25pm

Roccess

Roccess

176 posts

So, which god? You weren't religion-specific.

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 4:37pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,672 posts

Knight

why is the world not 1 foot further or 1 foot closer to the sun so that we would not be here?????

I hope you guys aren't being serious. Seeing as neither are convincing arguments that stand up to reason.
DSM yours is a fallacy and is as good as saying this forum existing is evidence of magic forum fairies existing.
Blackbeltr0 yours is not factually correct. The distance from the Earth to the sun varies as it orbits as much as about 94.4 million miles due to an elliptical orbit. With this orbit we could decrease the distance as much as about 4,500,000 miles and increase it as much as about 34,000,000 miles and still remain int he habitable zone.

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 4:47pm

DSM

DSM

795 posts

I hope you guys aren't being serious. Seeing as neither are convincing arguments that stand up to reason.
DSM yours is a fallacy and is as good as saying this forum existing is evidence of magic forum fairies existing.

All you do is comparing my argument to something that has nothing to do with the topic. You haven't stated anything that makes my argument invalid.

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 5:04pm

wgalstin4

wgalstin4

6 posts

It doesn't matter what religion, I was thinking of God more as just some sort of supremely perfect being, not the God of any given scripture.

DSM - I don't think you can infer the existence of God from the existence of the world - what logical connection is there between the two? I'd say the existence of reality has only ever been used as "evidence" for God's existence in lieu of the absence of a satisfactory scientific explanation.

As far as the position of the Earth in relation to the Sun happening to be a habitable one, I'd say this is chance. The Earth is one of numerous planets orbiting numerous stars, and it just so happens that it is one of the planets with habitable conditions. You may then ask, "Well why our planet?" but this is confused, our planet wasn't chosen for us or made habitable for us, it just so happens to be able to support life and then we come onto the scene after the life-supporting circumstances have been established.

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 5:21pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,572 posts

You haven't stated anything that makes my argument invalid.

the fact that the world exist is an evidence for god existence

Then I will.

Your claim that because the world exists God exists. This is a baseless claim. You are inserting your random preferred cause without evidence. Anyone can just as easily claim that because the world exists their reason is why.

Let's replace some nouns and have fun, shall we?

the fact that the world exist is an evidence for Adskhjlfghs's existence
the fact that the world exist is an evidence for my existence
the fact that the world exist is an evidence for no other existence
the fact that the world exist is an evidence for karma's existence

Posted Oct 14, '12 at 5:29pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,994 posts

Knight

Why? You didn't specify.