ForumsThe Tavern2012 Election: King Maverick the Fourth

43 4618
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

My fellow citizens, you may be aware that it is now election season in my home country. And, being inspired by a recent thread, I have decided that I would run for office as the First King of America. America is facing many problems today, both fiscal and social, and it is my hope that I, King Maverick the Fourth, will be able to solve them. All I ask is for your support on the ballot, and after that I won't need your support to retain control. Please, continue reading to learn more about myself and my campaign. Thanks.

My Stance on Bi-Partisan Bickering:

Gridlock between the two major parties has meant that crucial legislation doesn't get passed when it's most needed. My approach to this problem is to do away with the bicameral system all together with. What needs to be represented is the will of the people, not the will of the party (the party should not be confused with the regime).

My Stance on War:

War between nations will become outdated under my reign. The sole cause of war is differences between nations, and I will unite the world as one nation, so that all might know peace for ever.

My Stance on Woman's Rights and Abortion:

Every woman has the right to do with her body as she will. Therefore it is a heinous crime for a woman not to exercise such a right to her fullest ability. The cessation of pregnancy will be a celebration of that most basic right of women, And I will support this to the fullest extent of my power.

My Stance on Poverty and Disease:

My first act as King of America will be to ban disease and make poverty illegal. The law of the king is supreme in the land, and thus it rings out in all the lands and all obey the law. Humanity will be able, for the first time in its history, to break free of the chains which has ensnared it. No child will ever know lain, or hunger, or disease, and human kind will enter into an eternal peace.

And so I will leave you with that, fair citizens. Feel free to use this thread to ask me any question about policy, world events, or anything else you deem fit.

I am forever humbly, your

King Maverick the Fourth

• 43 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

War between nations will become outdated under my reign.

*cracks pacifist knuckles*

War is already outdated. Unfortunately, so are most politicians.

My first act as King of America will be to ban disease and make poverty illegal.

What will the punishment be? If it's anything short of life in prison, I'm voting for the other guy. Romney may be a bit of a relic but I know he can punish poor people the right way if he has to.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

My first act as King of America will be to ban disease and make poverty illegal.

Make poverty illegal? Well, that takes care of around 15% of the population. It appears your new budget will have to include a couple of dozen new jails to house all these lawbreakers running around.

I'm more of capitalist. Down with the Monarchy!

Hate to say Maverick, but you would probably do better as king then any other guy they could put in there. (Make me your chief adviser and you got it made.)
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

War is already outdated. Unfortunately, so are most politicians.

Which is why it's time for real change to occur in Washington, and why I should become King. Progress is the watchword of the day, friends.

What will the punishment be? If it's anything short of life in prison, I'm voting for the other guy. Romney may be a bit of a relic but I know he can punish poor people the right way if he has to.

I'm afraid you misunderstood me. The entire notion of poverty will be made illegal. Poverty as an intangible object, as an idea, will become illegal. The only punishment will be towards those who insist on adhering to so unjust and backwards of an idea.

Make poverty illegal? Well, that takes care of around 15% of the population. It appears your new budget will have to include a couple of dozen new jails to house all these lawbreakers running around.

No one will be poor because poverty will be illegal. Please see above.

Make me your chief adviser and you got it made.)

Prior statements lend your loyalty to the regime as questionable.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

No one will be poor because poverty will be illegal. Please see above.

It's a really interesting idea, but how?

Prior statements lend your loyalty to the regime as questionable.

What? Me double cross you? Why would I do that to you? LoL
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Gridlock between the two major parties has meant that crucial legislation doesn't get passed when it's most needed. My approach to this problem is to do away with the bicameral system all together with. What needs to be represented is the will of the people, not the will of the party (the party should not be confused with the regime).

This is retarded because 1). the will of the people does not exist due to inherent differences in ideologies (as exemplified by the multitude of parties that exists) and 2). delegate representation can lead to pork barrels and earmarks, and even though the bicameral legislature and "the will of the people" do not exist, selectively hearing certain groups (which is likely unless you find an efficient way to conduct surveys that prevent response bias) will inevitably lead to excess spending.

War between nations will become outdated under my reign. The sole cause of war is differences between nations, and I will unite the world as one nation, so that all might know peace for ever.

This is retarded because attempts at doing so may very well lead to every other nation uniting against us lest sovereignty be compromised. Also, this sounds like a euphemism for jingoist intents.

My first act as King of America will be to ban disease and make poverty illegal. The law of the king is supreme in the land, and thus it rings out in all the lands and all obey the law. Humanity will be able, for the first time in its history, to break free of the chains which has ensnared it. No child will ever know lain, or hunger, or disease, and human kind will enter into an eternal peace.

This is retarded unless the poor are enslaved. Also, you should lay out your plan for banning disease.

Every woman has the right to do with her body as she will. Therefore it is a heinous crime for a woman not to exercise such a right to her fullest ability. The cessation of pregnancy will be a celebration of that most basic right of women, And I will support this to the fullest extent of my power.

This one is good, especially if the baby will be born retarded.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Also, for the sake of feigned transparency, you need to inform the public of your education and income level.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

King Maverick the Fourth

What they heck happened to the first three Mavericks?
Please, continue reading to learn more about myself and my campaign. Thanks.

OMG! He is actually telling us what the hell he is doing on not just what the other person is doing wrong.
What needs to be represented is the will of the people, not the will of the party (the party should not be confused with the regime)

But most people are idiots and don't know what is best for themselves. So I would do what Jefferson wanted, only have the wishes are smart people heard.
I will unite the world as one nation

Well you cannot rule the whole world by yourself. Do what Hitler wanted and split it up. Can I have Antarctica?
My Stance on Woman's Rights and Abortion:

My Stance:
Using protection and something happens then sure you can have an abortion.
Not using protection in anyway and you think you will not get pregnant, **** it, deal with your baby yourself.
But since you would not be able to tell if they used protection, just let them choose.
My Stance on Poverty and Disease:

OK...I will need to talk to you in private about this. So many things wrong.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

My fellow subjects, I have heard your questions, and good quesrions they are. Fear not, for I will answer each and every one of them.

It's a really interesting idea, but how?

It's simple: Poverty would not exist because no one would be allowed to be poor. If poverty is against the law, and no one breaks the law, then no one can be poor. This is why those who do choose to break this law must be punished severely; they might spread their virus of malcontent to others, and lead many people backwards.

What? Me double cross you? Why would I do that to you? LoL

Thoughtcrime cannot be hidden; all who commit it wear their guilt freely, for all to see. Once I am elected, I will have you speak with my Ministers of Love.

This is retarded because 1). the will of the people does not exist due to inherent differences in ideologies (as exemplified by the multitude of parties that exists) and 2). delegate representation can lead to pork barrels and earmarks, and even though the bicameral legislature and "the will of the people" do not exist, selectively hearing certain groups (which is likely unless you find an efficient way to conduct surveys that prevent response bias) will inevitably lead to excess spending.

You would do wise not to criticize the Regime, friend. As King, I would listen to all my citizens. However, the sheer number of citizens who have so graciously allowed me to guide them means that I may not be able to hear everyone's ideas. Thus I will make the best decision based upon what I infer to be the correct choice as per the will of the people.

This is retarded because attempts at doing so may very well lead to every other nation uniting against us lest sovereignty be compromised. Also, this sounds like a euphemism for jingoist intents

Nations will not stand against us but will unite with us. We will stand as a shining city on a hill, representing an ideal of hope and freedom, and serving as a beacon to all members of humanity.

This is retarded unless the poor are enslaved. Also, you should lay out your plan for banning disease.

There will be no poor to enslave as there will be no poor at all; Poverty is illegal.

Disease will be banned under the highest law in the land. Those who break this law and infest our society with so gross a crime will be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

This one is good

Of course it is good; I thought of it.

Also, for the sake of feigned transparency, you need to inform the public of your education and income level.

A most excellent idea. I am educated in guiding my people; my income is the satisfaction I gain in doing so.

Oh, so people could still technically be in poverty, but they couldn't call it that?

No; No one would be in poverty as poverty is illegal.

Do you support the working class?

I do not support any class, as a class would imply inequality among people. However I support the workers, just as I support the farmers and the soldiers. Know that inevitably there are individuals most suited to work, or to farm, or to guide. Thus we must celebrate the regime as it allows us to freely do what we do best.

What they heck happened to the first three Mavericks?

You know, that was never properly explained.

But most people are idiots and don't know what is best for themselves. So I would do what Jefferson wanted, only have the wishes are smart people

Please see above, friend.

Well you cannot rule the whole world by yourself. Do what Hitler wanted and split it up. Can I have Antarctica?

Of course no one man can rule the world. Which is why I will not rule the world, but guide it into a new age of peace and prosperity.

My Stance:

I already have a stance. I thank you for your concern, but I assure you it is not needed.

So many things wrong.

Nothing is wrong with it. You would do wise not to question the regime, which works for the common good of all of us.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

You would do wise not to criticize the Regime, friend. As King, I would listen to all my citizens. However, the sheer number of citizens who have so graciously allowed me to guide them means that I may not be able to hear everyone's ideas. Thus I will make the best decision based upon what I infer to be the correct choice as per the will of the people.

Please explicate on how you'd go about gathering opinions.

Nations will not stand against us but will unite with us. We will stand as a shining city on a hill, representing an ideal of hope and freedom, and serving as a beacon to all members of humanity.

Begging the question. And this seems more jingoist than before.

There will be no poor to enslave as there will be no poor at all; Poverty is illegal.

But vagrants will still exist the moment you take office. How would you go about making the transition?

Disease will be banned under the highest law in the land. Those who break this law and infest our society with so gross a crime will be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

But let's say you undergo genetic testing and your DNA is found to contain a genetic mutation that will lead to a completely penetrant disease. Will you suffer the same punishment as a diseased layman for the sake of our society?

And another question: What are your thoughts on eugenics?
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Nothing is wrong with it.

OK. I will just wait a few years until be scheme is complete and then reek havoc on your system. Unless you let me rule Antarctica. Then I will be happy.
jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

For Heaven's sake, someone take Mav's well-read and highlighted 1984 away, burn it and lock him in Room 101??

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

More excellent questions submitted by yourselves. It is my hope that, by answering to the truest of my ability, I might steer you onto the path of peace.

Please explicate on how you'd go about gathering opinions.

By getting out amid the masses, and listening to their thoughts. The kings of old did it, and I will use technology to further increase every subject's access to me.

Begging the question. And this seems more jingoist than before.

This isn't jingoism because I make no threat of war. Rather, I will let peace be my sword and love be my shield.

But vagrants will still exist the moment you take office.

Yes. And they will for a short time, until I succeed in making poverty illegal. It will not be easy, but our perseverance as a society will ensure that we achieve it as quickly as possible, together.

Will you suffer the same punishment as a diseased layman for the sake of our society?

I would, yes. If for the common good of society my punishment is needed, I would go towards it willingly. It is those in society who must sacrifice so much for the common good who are the true nobility.

And another question: What are your thoughts on eugenics?

I do not believe in a eugenics of breed in as much as a eugenics of spirit. Through the proper conditioning, a subject could eventually learn to become a true citizen; all should aspire to attain such a title.

I will just wait a few years until be scheme is complete and then reek havoc on your system

By that time it will be too late. For the ideals of a perfect society will have spread to ten thousand thousand hearts and minds. I may be defeated, but I will live on.

For Heaven's sake, someone take Mav's well-read and highlighted 1984 away, burn it and lock him in Room 101??

Unfortunately, as you can see above, there will be those who will wish to see this regime of peace destroyed. We must be ever diligent against those who would lead humanity backwards, instead of forwards.

I humbly remain, your

King Maverick IV
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

For the ideals of a perfect society will have spread to ten thousand thousand hearts and minds.

I said nothing about using ideals. What would make you assume that?
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I said nothing about using ideals. What would make you assume that?

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I don't understand what the question is. What are you talking about, exactly?
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Thoughtcrime cannot be hidden; all who commit it wear their guilt freely, for all to see. Once I am elected, I will have you speak with my Ministers of Love.

Dang Maverick, you ruined the Coup d'état I was planning. Oh well... Can you at least make me your janitor?

No one would be in poverty as poverty is illegal.

How would it be illegal?

Tell me, how do you intend to lead the world to peace and prosperity? There are bound to be quite a few people out there who disagree with you, how would you go about forcing your peace on them? (E.G. Iran)
Showing 1-15 of 43