ForumsWEPRProper Citation

62 21653
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Alright guys, another thing has been recently brought to my attention. I wasn't going to say anything while people were posting uncharacteristic sentences and making little omissions here and there, but this has now gone far beyond the pale:

I'm talking about plagarism. AGAIN. I did this for the ASCII art, but believe it or not this also applies to academic and informational material.

So let's be entirely clear:

* It is inappropriate to post passages or source quotes that is not YOUR OWN original content WITHOUT REFERENCES.

* In some cases, this is illegal, particularly if the document you STOLE does not cite some kind of copyleft or free-to-use clause. Chances are they have this nifty "do not distribute without permission" or a (c)- meaning copyright, meaning don't copy and paste the whole thing elsewhere.

* Worse, you think you're going to get away with that, and then say "no, seriously, I didn't copy and paste it, I wrote it myself." Are you guys even in high school yet? Have you not been taught that this form of plagarism is entirely unacceptable? Do your teachers not even bother to inform you that copying an assignment word for word and passing it off as your own is wrong?

* The reason I'm going off about this is because the clearest sign of a copy-paste job is that the post has limited or no relevance to the thread at hand. You're taking shortcuts without processing, and guess what, as a result, you're spamming.

* It's important to develop the habit where you're able to think for yourself, to evaluate the things that you're reading so you can determine what they have to do with the topic and if it supports/rejects it, and how strongly. If you can do this then we won't have the need to wade through tons of frankly useless crap just to get an idea discussed. This is important in a broader world application.

But I know that currently there is no actual discouragement from people engaging in what is tantamount to criminal activity. Which is why I'm calling upon harsher measures to be taken upon users who a) blatantly copy-paste AND omit the reference, b) when challenged, maintain their innocence despite being proven guilty.

• 62 Replies
Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

That one's debatable, but I would say he's clear this time.

d0m1nated14
d0m1nated14
718 posts
Farmer

Plagiarism is wrong and if you dont know how to cite something you got text from, then just ask someone or look on the Internet. You could be arrested, or in school, fail.

Dtknight1
Dtknight1
2 posts
Nomad

Absolutely agree. Plaiarism destroys what is most treasured to someone who creates an original work. Recognition.

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

The way to tell where they got a picture from (yes I did use this to cheat the picture game) is to right-click it and press properties. It'll show you the coding for the picture and most of the link it was derived from. You can also press copy image location and it will show you where it is when you paste it.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Problem - some people are too lazy to click links.
Solution - Copy and paste only the RELEVANT information, put it in QUOTES to show you are quoting someone else, and post the link to the main article.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I second that notion. Personally I prefer it if both focus quotes and links are provided.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

If you are quoting someone, then couldn't you use the handy-dandy

button?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

OK... But most people's citation would be wiki XD.

Shadow867
Shadow867
147 posts
Nomad

If you are quoting someone, then couldn't you use the handy-dandy

button?

Yes, but then no one would know where that information came from and who deserves credit for it. If you're only quoting some one in a thread, however, then yes.
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

so putting links is bad? i dont understand

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Raditz did you mean to post nothing cos it hasn't come out. <kinda confused>

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

Hmm.. I see... But one thing bothers me about this...

Strop, you did notice that this should be in the tavern.. Correct? Or maybe the newcomers section?

Gametesta
Gametesta
1,707 posts
Nomad

Well probably because it's happening in this particular section of the forums.

Qwerty001
Qwerty001
422 posts
Nomad

Isn't this only illegal when it is published? Therefore we indeed can do it?

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

Flag

I highlited Raditz's post and quoted it and got that.
Showing 31-45 of 62