ForumsGamesT, the lost game rating

15 2119
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

you may not have noticed, but i seems to me anyway that games are no longer being rated T. everything is either E, E10+ or M, when was the last time you saw a T rated game advertised? has ESRB just forgotten about that rating, i think i've seen one new game rated T in the last few months.
tell me your thoughts should i have not already extracted them

• 15 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

T stands for teen right? i really dont know because ive never used to look at the rating. i always liked games that children can also play. my guess would be that M mostly refers to really gorry or sexual games while T (used to be) referrs to violence. and if that is correct then maybe back then a certain level of violence was rated as T but now its rated for children.

i think its a smart move in money terms

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

It's there, I promise.

Perhaps you're looking in the wrong place. Maybe you're looking only at the popular, sponsored, millions-of-plays games that appear in commercials and such. There are so many awesome games out there which the majority sticks their nose up at and forget.

In response to thebluerabbit, any game which has violence, language, mild sexual dialogue/content, mild/animated blood, or use of alcohol will be given the Teen rating. Anything that is stronger than that will be given Mature.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

yes but what i meant is the level of violence. you pretty much dont have a game without ANY form of violence and thats subjective. i think that one of the ds zelda games (phantom hourglass maybe?) was rated 12+ because of violence...

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

yes but what i meant is the level of violence. you pretty much dont have a game without ANY form of violence and thats subjective. i think that one of the ds zelda games (phantom hourglass maybe?) was rated 12+ because of violence...

Punching = T
Disembowling = M

If you see guts, it's M. If you see a bloody nose, it's T.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Hell, MARIO has violence; how philosophical you get determines the severity of Mario's crimes. A teen game without violence might as well be something that's not action, adventure, strategy, misc, arcade, or anything involving a sprite in motion. Might as well be a puzzle game with tavern ladies.

Closest you can get to a Teen rated game with negligible violence is the Phoenix Wright series, but even then what constitutes violence/blood is only rendered.

116 posts
Nomad

True enough, very rarely do I ever see a game rated T anymore.

I pretty much forgot about it completely and it took a minute for it to register when I saw this thread.

Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

Mario goes, crushes walking mushroom heads, throws his archenemy into lava and once burned to bones, breaks the shells of turtles, and is beloved by his kingdom for his murdering tendencies.

He deserves a M rating.

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

I seriously think it's all about how the characters in the game look. SSBB characters were more realistic looking, but the violence was no different, except it was less intense. The game really should have been E10+. There was ONE drop of blood in the whole game. Besides, the TINY BIT of blood was at the very end of Story Mode, so anyone that wasn't an experienced gamer (that's not a teen) couldn't get to it.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Im pretty sure that the batman series of games are teen. not positive. I know force unleashed is. 2 pretty big names.

CaukasianNinja
CaukasianNinja
4 posts
Peasant

[Perhaps you're looking in the wrong place. Maybe you're looking only at the popular, sponsored, millions-of-plays games that appear in commercials and such. There are so many awesome games out there which the majority sticks their nose up at and forget.]

I think Freakenstein hit it on the head. Most popular games are tailored to one extreme or the other, especially since you can probably find more teenagers playing M-rated games. As it is, the T-rate games just don't appeal to such a large crowd as the other games do.

espadaxin2
espadaxin2
485 posts
Blacksmith

i didnt notice that. i gonna have to check it out later.

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

Yeah, there aren't many T games out there, but some really good ones still pop up from time to time. A great example is Arkham City, one of the best games of 2011 and it was rated T. Enslaved was also a good one, but it wasn't a very popular game.

Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

It's the problem with your average gamer these days. If they want violence, they want blood and gore to with it. Gone are the days when you can shoot or stab someone in a video game without blood spewing out from somewhere.

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

In response to the Batman comments, do you think that it would have been a better game if they had ramped it up to mature? I know that T has a bigger player base, usually, but I just think that it was a bit more dumbed down to fit the T rating. The language was there, as well as violence, but I can't help but be curious about what they could have done with an M. Just imagine what else they could have added into Asylum. With the T, it didn't look creepy or disturbing, just dirty.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was rated teen, and I think a spider-man game I own is rated teen, but I have to admit, most of the really big games are M or E.

~~~Darth Caedus

Showing 1-15 of 15