Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Most used passwords for 2012

Posted Oct 29, '12 at 7:44am

SirBelgrave

SirBelgrave

1 post

Ive never thought about a password protection system xD

-Jeff

Posted Oct 29, '12 at 10:19am

theawesomnator

theawesomnator

53 posts

My password was something like "bringerofsalvation" or something like that. Bcause I had a different email address and account. But now my email is www.theawesomnator@hotmail.com

So you know. U could send me some mail & stuff like that.

Posted Oct 30, '12 at 12:18am

Jesussavior

Jesussavior

4 posts

I was so proud of memorizing the random wBySGScmsujokv...i forget the rest of it I had in the 90s to get online. now I use simple ones, but I dont really care if someone breaks into most of the things I do, they would read some very boring stuff about me=P

Posted Oct 30, '12 at 8:15am

KentyBK

KentyBK

555 posts

This thread is screaming for some obligatory xkcd:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/password_strength.png

if you ask me then i say is fake. these passwords can't be used on most sites anymore. there is no way they are the top 10.
maybe yahoo tried to be fancy and made it up maybe some1 els did. but for me it's clear tat it is made up and no fact.

Most popular websites (as in Facebook and Youtube/any other google owned sites, because I didn't bother to check any others) only require a minimum password length and not any specific symbols. You can use all the passwords in the OP to sign up for Facebook.

And even IF most sites required you to have numerals andd stuff in your password, it really wouldn't change a thing. If you look at Ernie's link, you'll find that the 25th most common password is password1. People will just attach all the required symbols to the end.

What I want to know is, how did they find this all out? It's not very reassuring to think that there's someone out there who's looking over everyone's passwords and determining which ones are used most frequently!

From publicly available sources. That same guy also happens to have a much bigger list of commonly used passwords, but it's a year old, so the information might be slightly outdated.

Lastly, have a website to test password security. And yes, I realize the irony of finding out the security of your password by entering into a website, but the more cautious folks of you can just enter slight variations of your password and see how it changes the calculation.

Posted Oct 30, '12 at 11:22am

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

Most popular websites (as in Facebook and Youtube/any other google owned sites, because I didn't bother to check any others) only require a minimum password length and not any specific symbols. You can use all the passwords in the OP to sign up for Facebook.

i guess i automatically added the requirements from other sites for those.
anyway, i left my point after a good source was given.

Posted Oct 30, '12 at 5:22pm

xAyjAy

xAyjAy

1,683 posts

It would take a desktop PC about 5 quintillion years to crack your password

looks like my passwort is secure enough.

Posted Oct 30, '12 at 6:27pm

Clancy12

Clancy12

3,954 posts

I don't know if anybody has posed this yet but I found this awsome website for finding out how good your password is. [url=http://howsecureismypassword.net/]  According to this website my password would take 7 hours to crack. That's probably good enough!

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 10:10pm

Clancy12

Clancy12

3,954 posts

Wow. I can't believe I missed that somebody 3 posts above me posted the same website. Sorry about that.

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 10:34pm

pokemonrocks126

pokemonrocks126

215 posts

ummmmm i typed in randomness321 and it sayed it would take a desktop tc about 37 years to break that

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 10:38pm

xeano321

xeano321

2,598 posts

Knight

Said it would take someone 7 hours to find my password... Hmmm... Upgrade time!

Reply to Most used passwords for 2012

You must be logged in to post a reply!