ForumsThe TavernRP Session #1: The Dark Ages

59 10533
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

So this is going to be the first in what will hopefully be a long series of RP sessions made by me here on the forums. This one is going to be fairly simple one without a lot of unneeded fluff and such.

**Description of this RP session**
This session will take place in a classic D&D time period. Thus, magic and dangerous creatures rule the land. The chance to become a wealthy thief, a famed warrior or a powerful mage are out there. but first, you must read the directions. Even then, survival is not guaranteed...

**Rules**
- Anyone can join in at any point, just as long as they follows the proper creation procedures(to be explain later on in this post)
- Any god-modding of a players characters is not going to be tolerated. So a thief, for example, can not take on a giant in hand-to-hand combat and live let alone take no damage.
- Please keep all language to on the level which is acceptable on the rest of the forums. Same with gore levels. Nothing too...visceral please.

**Gameplay**
- The way it is going to work here is a fairly simple RP fashion. Each character is going to be on his or her own mission and storyline. I will be providing the situations for each character based on several factors, and doing post situation wrap ups(such as how injured the character is, what loot was found, what is going to happen next, etc..).
- I expect to see logical, well developed outcomes and battles when each player makes a post. Sometimes it make be possible to escape some battles and situations unscathed, but not all the time. There will always be a few ways to get out of each situation, and creative minds, sharp minds will often find themselves on interesting and rewarding paths.
- All characters will start off with a generalized set of equipment for each class, but will be granted new items/spells as gameplay goes on.

**Character Creation**
- There will be several basic classes to choose from which will affect gameplay. Example: A thief would not be able to lift/move a very heavy object whereas a warrior might be able to. On the flip side, there is no chance for a warrior to sneak or open locked chest easily.
- Races will not play a major role in this RP, they will mainly for for looks and character development. So feel free to be any traditional fantasy race you like, just do not expect it to change gameplay much.
- More about character creation will be explained further down.

Now to get into the fun parts! Yay!

***Every class starts off with 3 health potions in the start***

**Classes**
Stealth Classes
-Thief: Master of the stealthy arts such as sneaking, locking picking and getting into hard to reach places. Not suited for full on combat against more than one opponent, but does well in the stealth kill area.
-Rogue: The smarmy, slightly more robust cousin of the thief. Not quite as stealthy or as good at opening locked items. Yet a rogue makes up for this with his silver tongue and capable sword arm(So to break it down, he can smooth talk or fight his way out of situations a thief would not be able to).
Stealth Class Equipment
-Thief: A thief will star off with standard thieving equipment, such as basic light leather armour, standard dagger, lockpicking set and a standard short bow with 15 arrows in a quiver to start off with. *Feel free to describe any item as you wish, just know that they will still be basic and not very powerful(Goes for all classes and items).*
-Rogue: A rogue starts out with heavy leather armour, a short/long sword, light shield and lockpicking set.

**Combat Classes**
-Warrior: The typical rush in and beat the tar out of everything class. Very strong but not the best at anything other than killing and lifting. But who needs to sneak around and unlock doors when you can just turn them into kindling?
-Archer: The other side of the combat equation. Would much rather access the situation before heading in. Master of ranged combat, average at best in close quarters combat. An archer has limited sneaking skills, so he has a chance to get the drop on his enemies.
Combat Class Equipment
-Warrior: Starts off with standard iron plate armour, and a choice of weapons(such as long sword, battle axe, mace, two-handed sword, mace). Can also carry a heavy shield if weapon is not two-handed(So if the warrior was a battle axe or claymore no shield can be carried).
-Archer: Starts off with standard iron chainmail armour, standard long/short sword, standard longbow with 50 arrows in a quiver.

**Magic Classes**
-Mage: Ahh, the mage. Arguably the most intelligent of any class, and has the highest damage potential. A warrior may be able to cleave an orc in half, but can he cast a spell into the room and destroy 5 orcs at once? Mages are almost always on some quest searching for knowledge or power. Oh, and did I mention mages have next to no weapon combat knowledge or health? So if one walks into a troll, he better either think really quick or run even faster.
-Necromancer: The twisted, frowned upon brother of the mage. Necromancers also can not deal with typical combat, yet they also do not posses the powerful spells that mages can use. So how do they get by? Well, simple really. Creating undead creatures! Of course, a body is needed first...Necromancers are often never seen since they are hated by most everyone. There are even rumors that through the use of dark arts, necromancers can turn themselves into powerful undead beings.
Magic Class Equipment
-Mage/Necromancer: Both get the same starting equipment. Each mage/necromancer starts off with a standard robe. That is all. but they do get...
Spells
-Mage: Mages start off with a standard fireball spell(range of 15 feet and does splash damage in a 5 foot radius on impact), a standard levitate spell(Magnitude of roughly 5-9 feet in the air at start), and a standard shock damage on touch spell(must be able to touch enemy, does average damage).
-Necromancers: Necromancers start off with a standard drain health spell(range of 5 feet, does average damage), a standard rot spell(does direct damage to health of enemy due to their insides rotting, slows down target to half speed and kills without any other spell/damage within 10 minutes or so), and a raise undead spell(needs corpse near by in order to use).

Now that all that is out of the way, we can really start to have fun!

**Beginning**

When you first start off, follow the form below.

Character name: (Name of character, durr)
ClassSo I know what you are.)
AgeOptional)
RaceOptional)
AppearanceWhat does your character look like?)
BackgroundOptional, but gives me more to run off of for situations)
Goal/Reason for questingOnce again optional, if you want I can make a whole scenario for you)
Starting locationSame as above)

And there you go! All you need to get started on a simple RP session!

Hope you all enjoy, feel free to ask me any questions.

• 59 Replies
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

I am going to start off so you all know what it should look like.

Character name: Moklon Kreeg
Class: Mage
Race: Human
Appearance: 6 feet tall male with long blonde hair. His robe has some odd runes on it with what appears to be a scene of...A demon fighting two lions? His eyes are an eerie yet alluring blue colour, and you can not help but notice a crazed twinkle in his eye.
Background: Moklon is a powerful mage who came from a very small town to the east. Through his questing for power, something he has seen or done has twisted his mind. He often babbles something about a "gem", and routinely catches things on fire for "calling him mean names."
Goal/Reason for questing: No one, most likely even Moklon, knows exactly what he is looking for. But it can be assured that is has something to do with becoming more powerful...
Starting location: Moklon is wandering the streets of the small city of Hapglen when he hears someone call his name out from behind him.

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

Character name: Xalzin Katarai.
Class: Stealth Rogue.
Race: Night Elf.
Appearance: A young man who has good looks to get him anywhere. He is fit and light-weighted. He has some muscle on his arms and has Lilac-colored eyes.
Background: Was in jail he discovered the secret of how to get out and was given a scroll that looked very ancient. What is it's secret. He is also a quiet, wise rogue. He can be funny when he wants to though. Is Chaotic evil.
Goal/Reason: To find a man by the name of Zarax to tell him what the ancient scroll means since it is not a language he ever heard of
Starting location: Anywhere but at nighttime.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Character Name: Lim-Dul
Class: take a guess, LOL, necromancer
Appearance:
http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardscans/MAGTIM/lim-dul_the_necromancer.jpg
Background: I am an inhabitant of Lemuria, living in the dark forests of the West with my friends the dark elves. Unhappy with the islands current government of high elves, which seeks to oppress us, we are planning to enter open rebellion and have a hostile take over, dethroning King Esthef. I and Lord Murdoc of the Dark Elves, plan to lead the coup together.

Question: In addition to the robe, can I have a tinderbox and a short knife? (for food purposes, and possible combat applications, if necessary)

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

This is going to be good!

Name: Aristiel
Class: Combat
Race: Numenorian (From LOTR, I hope it is okay that I use some of my info from a book! )
Appearance: 6 foot 3 with scraggly, long brown hair. My cape has tears from past wars, and my armor has been passed through my ancestors, so it is old, but has an ancient magic conceiled deep within.
Background: I have come from a dying race of powerful men. We mostly travel the lands far and wide, with my one and only friend, my sword. I am a bit arrogant because of my violent and disturbing past.
Goal/Reason: To figure out who I really am. Between the ages of 30 and 56, I lost my memory due to unknown reasons. My goal is to understand why, and how my life is the way it is.
Starting location: Observing the rolling hills far out west.

KingofSleeping
KingofSleeping
423 posts
Nomad

Character name: Sac Fai
Class:Mage
Race:Human
Appearance:6ft 2 tall with long black hair thats tied up his robes are purple and there quite cool.And his eyes are filled with fire because he is waiting to let out rage.
Background:Sac Fai is a powerfulhuman and he comes from the North his quest his to find a powerful gem and it can defeat all his enemies.
Goal/Reason for questing:He is trying to find a gem to defeat all villains and his ememies.
Starting location:Sai is from China but he starts by wandering around in the streets of America.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Ok, going to start with this geek fest. XD

drakokirby: You are in a tavern in a small town, resting from your wandering and having a jolly good time. Perhaps too good of a time. While you are telling the bartender some outlandish story and doing exaggerated hand motions, you spill the drink in your hand on the person sitting next to you. You turn around to apologize when you notice that he is already standing up, hand hovering near his sword. It is just your luck that he happens to do be a half-orc, and you just spilled your brew all over his new pants. He is large and no doubt strong, but he looks like he is nothing more than a peasant farmer. What do you do?

necromancer: Could I get a little more idea of what you want to do? Or where you are? Because that is a pretty grand back story. XD And let's just assume such survival things are a given.

Estel: As you stand observing the rolling hills to the west, and trying to figure out who you really are, you hear a sound that is all to familiar to people of this age: unsettling sound of goblins. Thankfully, it is only a small scouting party of 5 goblins. They are roughly 50 feet away, so you can see that they are not all that well equipped. Who knows why they are this far from their mountain homes, but they are here nonetheless. They are too bust bickering amongst each other to notice you yet. As you consider what you to do, a sudden glimpse of your forgotten memories comes to mind. It was only a brief image, but you clearly see goblins laughing while a town burns behind them...the scouting party might know something. What do you do?

KingOfSleeping: This RP session is set mainly in the Dark Ages time, more or less in a made up world. So just adjust some of where you are and and where you are from, so I can start you off.

Bigbowla: As you are walking through the woods, thinking of your past, you stumble across something. As you look down, you recognize instantly what it is: You mother's favourite brooch. It was nothing very expensive and it is fairly gaudy, but your mother loved it dearly. As you bend down to pick it up, you swear you can feel eyes peering at you. You look around, but notice nothing. It must of been your imagination. What do you do?

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Ok to add more detail.
First, I'll add Lemuria's demographic, political, geographic climate.
The high elves, are the elite ruling class. They have grown rich off the export of products from their busy seaports in the Eastern sector of the island. They form the elite of the Lemurian army and navy. The ruling capital, Lemuron, would be in the center, the dark elfs and I plan to capture the capital. To the south are the humans. They support the ruling elves and make up a majority of the known population. They do most of the farming and production on Lemuria. Further, they form the basis of the Lemurian army. To the North are the Great Mountains and the Goblin Hordes. No one knows how many there are. They are very secretive and few who go there ever return, making a headcount impossible. It is suspected that they coexist with a population of dwarfs, who would mine vast amounts of useful ores. It is also thought that they resent the ruling elves authority. The dark elves, whom I am aligned with are of a small number. The coast we have is rocky and subject to many tempests, while the land is swampy, or of a dense dark forest, leaving the dark elves as a poorer nation. We greatly resent the authority of the high elves, they shower government support on their own interests and on that of the humans, while leaving none for us or the goblins.

Currently, my character, is leading an expeditionary diplomatic force of fifteen dark elves through the dark Western woods to establish cordial relations with the Goblins. Lord Murdoc, leader of the dark elves is recruiting and training an army on the homefront. Captain Morgenstern is heading towards the men of the South to recruit an army of oppressed human peasants in the fields, to cause chaos and temporarily remove the main high-elf army away from the capital, Lemuron. My personal goal is to become the King of Lemuria, after the dethroning of King Esthef, however, I face opposition to this goal by Lord Murdoc, only time will tell if I succeed.

I am on the night-watch of my diplomatic party, deep in the forest, 5 hours to sundown, and 25 miles to the foothills of the Great Mountains where the goblins reside.

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

I would first smooth talk my way out so he is on his is not angry enough to kill me. Then I will buy him a couple of beers or whatever is in that Tavern to make him drunk. I then steal his sword and most of his gold except for some to let him buy one more meal. I will then finish my drink while telling the bartender the remaining of the story and walk out.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Thanks, the helped a lot especially since it is a world I am not totally familiar with. I am pretty good at this stuff, but come on. XD

And just to get things straight for later on...You are a human aligned with the dark elves against the high elves. But the leader of the dark elves is in your way to do it, because he is vying for the same seat of power? That is what I gathered..
Anyways!

necromancer: You and your diplomatic party are wandering through the forest. Even though it is many hours till sundown, the dense foliage casts a dusk-like darkness on the area. As you continue walking towards the Great Mountains, you see something scamper across your path roughly 100 feet ahead of you. Before you can either confirm or deny what it was it is gone. Thinking nothing much of it, you continue onward. Not long afterwards, your party is stopped dead in its tracks by an arrow shot right in front of you. As you look around, ready for anything, you notice that up in the trees there are several goblin archers...all directing their gaze towards your party. Surely even goblins would not attack a diplomatic party! Yet you are treading on their territory. It might just be a group of rebel goblins who left the rest, trying to find their own way in life. Then again...they may not be.
What do you do?

KingofSleeping
KingofSleeping
423 posts
Nomad

Flag
Character name: Sac Fai
Class:Mage
Race:Human
Appearance:6ft 2 tall with long black hair thats tied up his robes are purple and there quite cool.And his eyes are filled with fire because he is waiting to let out rage.
Background:Sac Fai is a powerfulhuman and he comes from the North his quest his to find a powerful gem and it can defeat all his enemies.
Goal/Reason for questing:He is trying to find a gem to defeat all villains and his ememies.
Starting location:Is in a place where you just fight and kill.And he wants to escape to find the gem.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

drakokirby: As you leave the tavern admiring you new sword and heavy coin pouch, you think once again of the mysterious scroll that was given to you and wonder why it was even given to you in the first place. You take out the scroll and stare at it, mulling over the strange characters on the page. You stare so hard in fact that you swear the letters are starting to move. Then they actually do! The letters spin and twist until they form words that you can understand. The scroll now reads "Go East, lost one, to the village of Khasdale."
You blink in disbelief and look back once again at the scroll...yet it is as it was before, written in a strange language. You wonder if that really happened, or if you may have had a bit too much to drink...and besides, Khasdale is over near a fortnight away. How would you even get there?
What do you do?

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

I would ignore it since I am Chaotically Evil. I then go to the weapon's shop to buy a need Rogue blade. I then, after buying the blade, buy a cool-looking cloak to put around me. I then go out of the shop to buy some more supplies.

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

Character name: Steve Malkmus
Class: Theif
Appearance: Just an average guy, 5 foot 7, 130 pounds, not very muscular. very swift and stealthy. Not a very nice person to be around.

Background: When he was 8, his town was ransacked by orcs. He hid under a table in his house and watched his parents slaughtered before him, after the orcs left his house he ran away from the town with nothing left but the clothes on his back and a loaf of bread he took from his house. He ran into the forest to the nearest town. He didn't know it, but this was the beginning of a life of thievery.

Goal/Reason for questing: My character is a rather bitter person because of his harsh life, he basically just wants to be the most well known thief in the land and he wants revenge of the orcs.

Starting location: In the town jail, this is the first time he had ever been caught stealing food. Luckily he has his trusty lock pick set with him because he hid it in his clothes so the guards could not take it away.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

First of all KoS, I just want to warn you that yours may end up to be a fairly short session given the info provided. But that may be what you want.

KoS: After many wanderings, you have been directed to a cave where the gem you seek is said to be. No doubt the power of the gem has drawn many sorts of powerful creatures, so you must be wary of what you do. AS you enter the cave, you notice an overwhelmingly foul odor. You press on further into the cave though, for you can already feel the power of the gem. Several steps in you notice that the floor of the cave is littered with the bones of several creatures, both human and inhuman. Suddenly you hear the gnashing of teeth and the tearing of flesh. 10 feet ahead of you is a group of 3 zombies, feasting on a questionably fresh kill. For right now, they have not noticed you because their hunger for flesh is all consuming. There is a chance you could try and sneak by them since their own ambient noise should cover you own sounds, and they are rather enthralled in the corpse.
What do you do?

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

drakokirby: You decide to ignore the scroll's message and go shopping. After you acquire a new, shiny, keen edged dagger and cloak(along with other small items) you are left with 15 gold pieces left. Such things do not come cheaply, even to a smooth talking rogue such as yourself. You leave the store, feeling very fancy in your new cloak and dagger outfit. It is still rather late outside, and it will be many an hour until dawn breaks. You decide it would be a good idea to catch some rest. You cut down a back alley towards a local inn when suddenly out from the shadows come three vagabonds! They have a mean look to them, and they are all gazing greedily at your cloak and coin purse. One steps forwards, obviously the leader. He pull out his knife and say "Lemmee see that cloak of yours, it matches my eyes perfectly."
What do you do?

steevo: You curse you luck for being caught by the guards yet again. Who knew that the family had a rather aggressive imp as a pet? Taking your lockpicking set out of your hiding place, you easily pick the simple lock. You laugh quietly to yourself, no town jail could ever hold you. As you look around, you see that there are only two directions to go: Left and right. To your left, you see the chest where all your belongings are. However, there is a guard dozing right next to it, sitting in a chair. To your right it is an open path straight to the door and freedom, yet you would be left poor, weaponless and unprotected.
What do you do?

Showing 1-15 of 59