113 posts
Peasant

I think live chat will be a good idea

• 35 Replies
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

I'm still a new fuzzy around here, but I've heard rumors there used to be a chat on Armor Games. Was anybody around for that? How did it go?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Ideas and Discussions about: Live Chat

There used to be a chat, I wasn't around for it, but I believe it was discontinued because it didn't have enough moderation.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

You guys mean CT, or AG's official chat? CT was big, but it wasn't the official chat. The official chat ended all the way back in '08, I think. I agree with Matrix; I think the official chat ended because of lack of moderation.

Live chat is planned for AG3 as far as I know.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Talking about the official AG chat here. Not TC or CT, the one they had three-four years ago.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Do you mean TC or CT? Because there is/was a Tinychat for AG, but I don't know how 'official' it is. CT is hardly even connected to AG other than that most of the users have been on AG in the past.

I think there were 2 TC chats back in the day... The "official" one and the one that wasn't official. There was also CT, which wasn't official either. The unofficial TC and CT, which were both more recent, weren't official chats at all. The really, really, really old TC chat was a chat made by some staff member back in '08, I think.

Any of you old people feel free to hop into this conversation and put us whippersnappers in our place with your eternal knowledge and wisdom.
mechninja
mechninja
1,577 posts
Nomad

I believe tht live chat would be a great idea for AG3.
It would be moderated by a system that doesn't allow you to post your message if it has any inapropriate words or phrases.For instance,you're on live chat with a friend,and he is mad that you beat him in the current game your are playing.He'll probably curse you out,so it'll just say,cannot display message.Inapropriate language found.Or something like that...But I think you should have live chat like in the MMO games such as Mystic Guardians and other games.You could also be able to have private live chat with a certain player.They'd have to be your friend,or they can send you a request and you could either accept or decline it.This would be a great feature for any AG game.You could share tips,or even better,you could play games that have a wireless co-op feature and link it w/ the live chat!That would be truly epic!You could play the game and at the same time connect with that specific player and play the game with them.While one player is playing and the other is trying to send a message,or vice versa,the player that is sending the message would be invincible while typing so it would be fair rather than letting enemies slaughter you while you type...I hope you guys take this under consideration!
~Mech

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Even with that system, you can still get away with breaking rules, which is why they must be moderated to succeed.

CrusafixSoldier
CrusafixSoldier
17 posts
Peasant

live chat sounds like an awesome idea, all for it.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

AG live chat? Oh, you mean CountingTime? Knight'll be so mad I linked it here but I don't care!

Armorgames did indeed once have a chat. It was removed a long, long time ago. For reference, it was gone when I was a newb. I saw the very end of it, I think.

It was removed because it was constantly used for abuse, and too difficult to moderate. If anyone needs more information, I'd suggest speaking with Knight_34 or Graham. Both of them know about the chat well.

There was a TinyChat for AG made somewhat recently by Asherlee. However, this never really caught on, as the only people to use it were the people from CountingTime, who still sometimes use it. If we need TC, though, we generally use Tacky's chat or the CountingTime and Dragons chat if we're playing D&D.

Anyway, Ferret, I'd recommend you do visit CountingTime if you ever need to talk to a vet about AG's past. The people on CT like hanging out with mods anyway.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Was anybody around for that? How did it go?

Horribly. Mainly because of two reasons:
1) People were being super immature about it all by posting shock links, pretending to be mods/admins, etc..
2) This in of itself would not of been an issue if we mods could of banned people at the time. This was before mods could ban people, and even when we did get the power halfway through the chat's lifespan, it only worked for the accounts on the site. Not the ones on the chat client (it was a third party client, forget what the name was.)

In my opinion, it would still be a major hassle to run our own chat on the site. We'd need people to be on a certain hours to moderate the chat or make special chat mods. Either one not the greatest working idea.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Either one not the greatest working idea.

I'd like to bring up Kongregate for this. Basically, chat mods monitor chats and can become forum mods if active enough in the forum and show good qualities, and they have mods just for chats and mods just for forums.

They seem to be doing well with that system.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Well good for Kong. Too bad we are a different site eh?

Seeing as I had first-hand experience with trying to deal with it here, I have valid opinions on the matter. We even discussed the exclusively chat mods idea before and even way back then we were not fond of the idea. Mainly because that would mean either:
A) We'd need to get in proper touch with a third-party client and suss things out (did not work with the one we had before)
B) Make our own chat client
One is only slightly more feasible than the other.

Personally, I never understood the idea behind needing a chat on a site like this. Don't kids have AIM or MSN these days? Use that, so you only have to message people you like.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Too bad we are a different site eh?

Which site has more people using it?

Don't kids have AIM or MSN these days

Most people though, but I find it hassle to log on to it every time I use the computer, plus, you can only have 1 on 1 chats there, as far as I know.

Every extra thing on the site that's new has a better advertising view, for example, when AG3 is officially launched, you can advertise as having more updates, which tends to be more appealing, at least, in my opinion.

so you only have to message people you like.

Then you would never really meet anyone new.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Which site has more people using it?

lol. Also, it's not uncommon for sites to take ideas from other successful sites, that's how the internet works.
Don't kids have AIM or MSN these days?

Installing a chat here would be more convenient because everybody already has an account and that'd keep and bring more people to AG.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Fine, you kids are entitled to your misguided opinions with little or no actual experience with trying to operate/run one a site such as this.

Showing 1-15 of 35