113 posts
Peasant

I think live chat will be a good idea

• 35 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Fine, you kids are entitled to your misguided opinions with little or no actual experience with trying to operate/run one a site such as this.

A rather condescending post, Devoidless; you're not better than us because you're a few years older and have been a moderator for a few years.
Our so called misguided opinions aren't misguided at all. It's clear that a chat on here with chat mods similar to Kongregate will probably work well because they've done so well with their system. We also don't require experience on running a site like this to think that it'll most likely work, when Kongregate is way larger than ArmorGames and still does well to moderate the chats they have.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

You only think it is clear. And what makes you think that, hmm? Because you have seen it work on another site? That automatically means that it must be easy to set forth and make work here! Gee Willikers, my bad!
And what, perchance, makes you believe they are so much larger than us? I've been there, looked around, was thoroughly unimpressed and started coming here instead.

And it is clearly just the chat which makes it 'way larger' than AG. Nothing to do with the fact that they encourage people to buy Kong tokens for what-have-you, not because they have a Premium account for sale. No, nothing of the sort. Do you want to pay to have a vestigial feature, which adds next to nothing to the experience on the site? Fine, be my guest.

You get to actually know people here on the Forums. How many times gave you been in a chat and went "Hmm, that person seems nifty! Let's strike up a frienship!" and not been rebutted with "ASL?" or "lawlz queer."
The atmosphere on the forums is much more likely to breed a friendship or acquaintance ship than some fast-paced and loose chat.

I'm not going to argue the merits of opinion about which is better or the like any further. It is pointless and I refuse to be dragged any further into this quagmire on any level.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

You only think it is clear. And what makes you think that, hmm? Because you have seen it work on another site? That automatically means that it must be easy to set forth and make work here! Gee Willikers, my bad!

No, it doesn't automatically mean that. I included a &quotrobably" in there. I didn't say that "it will definitely" work.

And what, perchance, makes you believe they are so much larger than us? I've been there, looked around, was thoroughly unimpressed and started coming here instead.

- More accounts and users
- Larger and more lively forums
- Browse through the chats they have and you'll see 100+ users in each, and they have *many* chat rooms in English, and some in other languages.

And it is clearly just the chat which makes it 'way larger' than AG. Nothing to do with the fact that they encourage people to buy Kong tokens for what-have-you, not because they have a Premium account for sale. No, nothing of the sort. Do you want to pay to have a vestigial feature, which adds next to nothing to the experience on the site? Fine, be my guest.

No, never said, but chat rooms is one of the things that does. Not sure what you mean with the &quotay" part, but chats are free there.

You get to actually know people here on the Forums. How many times gave you been in a chat and went "Hmm, that person seems nifty! Let's strike up a frienship!" and not been rebutted with "ASL?" or "lawlz queer."

You're mixing up Kongregate and Omegle. Entirely different sites, in my time on Kongregate (little more than a year of having an account, two without) I've never seen people ask "asl" and spam is dealt with quickly.

The atmosphere on the forums is much more likely to breed a friendship or acquaintance ship than some fast-paced and loose chat.

They're about the same.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

- More accounts and users
- Larger and more lively forums
- Browse through the chats they have and you'll see 100+ users in each, and they have *many* chat rooms in English, and some in other languages.

More accounts and users =/= more active. You could have a billion people here and only have 10 or so active. It's unlikely, but there are a lot of people who don't use their accounts at all. Besides, I don't want to have to memorize usernames and personalities for 500 people who'll leave in 3-4 days anyway.

Larger and livelier forums =/= better. They could be filled with a bunch of complete morons who have nothing good to say, and will just leave. I don't mind more people if I like them, but I don't like forums where there are a thousand regulars with 1k+ posts and no one knows anyone outside their little group.

I hate huge chatrooms. They're always the noobs that'll hop in and ruin everything. Not saying it'll happen here, but it can always happen.

They're about the same.

I disagree. Here you have time to formulate your opinions and you can try to sound smart, as opposed to a chatroom where you have to spit out replies faster than you could possibly imagine.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

More accounts and users =/= more active.

However Kongregate is more active.
Larger and livelier forums =/= better.

They seem more organised, but I personally don't use them because I'm already used to the forums here.
Here you have time to formulate your opinions and you can try to sound smart, as opposed to a chatroom where you have to spit out replies faster than you could possibly imagine.

Chat rooms cut out the redundancy. You're talking in real time and you'll probably get to know people better because it's faster. I actually use an offsite chat room on occasion to talk to some people I've met online, and the friendships flourished there. I'm willing to say I probably wouldn't be friends with them if I only had AG to communicate.
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Fine, you kids are entitled to your misguided opinions with little or no actual experience with trying to operate/run one a site such as this.

But, surely as 'kids' as you would so condescendingly put it, we would know what people our age would prefer.
It's much easier to communicate someone via live chat, rather than comments or forums.

And what, perchance, makes you believe they are so much larger than us?

Well, seeing as we don't know how much people play here daily, since we have no reference, but:
http://i46.tinypic.com/6i4gu0.jpg
I would be surprised if we even had half of that much users on now, at this point in time.

And it is clearly just the chat which makes it 'way larger' than AG

Their OT, while much more spammier than our Tavern, is much, much more active.
So that statement would be false.

You could have a billion people here and only have 10 or so active

With every extra person playing, it increases the ratio and possibility of activity.

I hate huge chatrooms. They're always the noobs that'll hop in and ruin everything.

'Mute.'

Here you have time to formulate your opinions and you can try to sound smart, as opposed to a chatroom where you have to spit out replies faster than you could possibly imagine.

Then that isn't really you as a person, at least in a chatroom, you get to know the real person, if I was to think out my post for more than a minute, rather than just smash it out typing, I would look over my posts and say to myself:
"What a tool."
Lucylovesyou
Lucylovesyou
1 posts
Nomad

I think live chat would be cool c:

LlordMaso
LlordMaso
38 posts
Nomad

I disagree. Here you have time to formulate your opinions and you can try to sound smart, as opposed to a chatroom where you have to spit out replies faster than you could possibly imagine.

I totally agree with this
HappyFaceaNinja
HappyFaceaNinja
55 posts
Nomad

Meh, truthfully I don't care

Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

i will love a chat

Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

There has been talk about this again at one of our monthly lunches, I know Boppins is excited about chat.

wflag10
wflag10
1,269 posts
Nomad

There has been talk about this again at one of our monthly lunches, I know Boppins is excited about chat.

So there is a chance? No matter how small it is?
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Yes, there is a good chance. Especially MMO's would benefit from some sort of chat system.

wflag10
wflag10
1,269 posts
Nomad

Yes, there is a good chance. Especially MMO's would benefit from some sort of chat system.

Interesting, are we talking about a chat for all of Armor games (like the forums just faster paced) , or just MMO's?
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

That I couldn't say just yet. I mean the idea wouldn't be to replace the forums.

Showing 16-30 of 35