Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Live chat

Posted Oct 29, '12 at 7:06pm

Xzeno

Xzeno

2,354 posts

AG live chat? Oh, you mean CountingTime? Knight'll be so mad I linked it here but I don't care!

Armorgames did indeed once have a chat. It was removed a long, long time ago. For reference, it was gone when I was a newb. I saw the very end of it, I think.

It was removed because it was constantly used for abuse, and too difficult to moderate. If anyone needs more information, I'd suggest speaking with Knight_34 or Graham. Both of them know about the chat well.

There was a TinyChat for AG made somewhat recently by Asherlee. However, this never really caught on, as the only people to use it were the people from CountingTime, who still sometimes use it. If we need TC, though, we generally use Tacky's chat or the CountingTime and Dragons chat if we're playing D&D.

Anyway, Ferret, I'd recommend you do visit CountingTime if you ever need to talk to a vet about AG's past. The people on CT like hanging out with mods anyway.

Posted Oct 29, '12 at 9:02pm

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,838 posts

Was anybody around for that? How did it go?

Horribly. Mainly because of two reasons:
1) People were being super immature about it all by posting shock links, pretending to be mods/admins, etc..
2) This in of itself would not of been an issue if we mods could of banned people at the time. This was before mods could ban people, and even when we did get the power halfway through the chat's lifespan, it only worked for the accounts on the site. Not the ones on the chat client (it was a third party client, forget what the name was.)

In my opinion, it would still be a major hassle to run our own chat on the site. We'd need people to be on a certain hours to moderate the chat or make special chat mods. Either one not the greatest working idea.

Posted Oct 29, '12 at 9:29pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

Either one not the greatest working idea.

I'd like to bring up Kongregate for this. Basically, chat mods monitor chats and can become forum mods if active enough in the forum and show good qualities, and they have mods just for chats and mods just for forums.

They seem to be doing well with that system.

Posted Oct 30, '12 at 3:38am

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,838 posts

Well good for Kong. Too bad we are a different site eh?

Seeing as I had first-hand experience with trying to deal with it here, I have valid opinions on the matter. We even discussed the exclusively chat mods idea before and even way back then we were not fond of the idea. Mainly because that would mean either:
A) We'd need to get in proper touch with a third-party client and suss things out (did not work with the one we had before)
B) Make our own chat client
One is only slightly more feasible than the other.

Personally, I never understood the idea behind needing a chat on a site like this. Don't kids have AIM or MSN these days? Use that, so you only have to message people you like.

Posted Oct 30, '12 at 8:50am

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

900 posts

Too bad we are a different site eh?

Which site has more people using it?

Don't kids have AIM or MSN these days

Most people though, but I find it hassle to log on to it every time I use the computer, plus, you can only have 1 on 1 chats there, as far as I know.

Every extra thing on the site that's new has a better advertising view, for example, when AG3 is officially launched, you can advertise as having more updates, which tends to be more appealing, at least, in my opinion.

so you only have to message people you like.

Then you would never really meet anyone new.

Posted Oct 30, '12 at 10:01am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

Which site has more people using it?

lol. Also, it's not uncommon for sites to take ideas from other successful sites, that's how the internet works.
Don't kids have AIM or MSN these days?

Installing a chat here would be more convenient because everybody already has an account and that'd keep and bring more people to AG.

Posted Oct 30, '12 at 3:16pm

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,838 posts

Fine, you kids are entitled to your misguided opinions with little or no actual experience with trying to operate/run one a site such as this.

Posted Oct 30, '12 at 3:29pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

Fine, you kids are entitled to your misguided opinions with little or no actual experience with trying to operate/run one a site such as this.

A rather condescending post, Devoidless; you're not better than us because you're a few years older and have been a moderator for a few years.
Our so called misguided opinions aren't misguided at all. It's clear that a chat on here with chat mods similar to Kongregate will probably work well because they've done so well with their system. We also don't require experience on running a site like this to think that it'll most likely work, when Kongregate is way larger than ArmorGames and still does well to moderate the chats they have.

Posted Oct 30, '12 at 4:21pm

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,838 posts

You only think it is clear. And what makes you think that, hmm? Because you have seen it work on another site? That automatically means that it must be easy to set forth and make work here! Gee Willikers, my bad!
And what, perchance, makes you believe they are so much larger than us? I've been there, looked around, was thoroughly unimpressed and started coming here instead.

And it is clearly just the chat which makes it 'way larger' than AG. Nothing to do with the fact that they encourage people to buy Kong tokens for what-have-you, not because they have a Premium account for sale. No, nothing of the sort. Do you want to pay to have a vestigial feature, which adds next to nothing to the experience on the site? Fine, be my guest.

You get to actually know people here on the Forums. How many times gave you been in a chat and went "Hmm, that person seems nifty! Let's strike up a frienship!" and not been rebutted with "ASL?" or "lawlz queer."
The atmosphere on the forums is much more likely to breed a friendship or acquaintance ship than some fast-paced and loose chat.

I'm not going to argue the merits of opinion about which is better or the like any further. It is pointless and I refuse to be dragged any further into this quagmire on any level.

Posted Oct 30, '12 at 4:35pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,478 posts

Knight

You only think it is clear. And what makes you think that, hmm? Because you have seen it work on another site? That automatically means that it must be easy to set forth and make work here! Gee Willikers, my bad!

No, it doesn't automatically mean that. I included a &quotrobably" in there. I didn't say that "it will definitely" work.

And what, perchance, makes you believe they are so much larger than us? I've been there, looked around, was thoroughly unimpressed and started coming here instead.

- More accounts and users
- Larger and more lively forums
- Browse through the chats they have and you'll see 100+ users in each, and they have *many* chat rooms in English, and some in other languages.

And it is clearly just the chat which makes it 'way larger' than AG. Nothing to do with the fact that they encourage people to buy Kong tokens for what-have-you, not because they have a Premium account for sale. No, nothing of the sort. Do you want to pay to have a vestigial feature, which adds next to nothing to the experience on the site? Fine, be my guest.

No, never said, but chat rooms is one of the things that does. Not sure what you mean with the &quotay" part, but chats are free there.

You get to actually know people here on the Forums. How many times gave you been in a chat and went "Hmm, that person seems nifty! Let's strike up a frienship!" and not been rebutted with "ASL?" or "lawlz queer."

You're mixing up Kongregate and Omegle. Entirely different sites, in my time on Kongregate (little more than a year of having an account, two without) I've never seen people ask "asl" and spam is dealt with quickly.

The atmosphere on the forums is much more likely to breed a friendship or acquaintance ship than some fast-paced and loose chat.

They're about the same.

Reply to Live chat

You must be logged in to post a reply!