ForumsPopular MediaDisney Bought Star Wars

56 18486
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

So peoples, if you have been living under a rock I am here to inform you, Disney has Bought Lucas Films from George Lucas for 4.05 Billion $.

With their new purchase, Disney is hoping to start on the final three in the Star Wars series, 7,8, and 9. I have no idea of the cast at this current moment but I know that George Lucas will remain as a creative consultant.

How do you feel about this?

• 56 Replies
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I'm really hoping that one of theses days I'll be able to have some discussion about selling out without a meatpuppet brainwashed by corporations walking into it.

Sorry, Ican't hear you over the sound of the mindless droning of my fat cat supervisors. -_-"

What gets me is that, if I'm brainwashed, so are you. You would appear to have this preconceived notion that making money = evil. So what? Lucas sold the rights to Disney. Who cares? As long as they make a decent movie, does it matter who makes the profit?

Surprise, but A New Hope wasn't made because Lucas thought it would be fun to blow some producer's money. Corporations run everything; get over it. He idea of some monopoly man injecting his veins with stolen gold as he reams the consumer up the *** is an ill-conceived illusion drawn up lunatics, and which dwells in the same universe as Star Wars: FICTION.

I'm serious when I once again say: Go watch RedLetterMedia's review of them...I'm not saying this to advertise anything...he tears them apart for the money guzzling sell-out creations they are

See above.

/rant
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

As long as they make a decent movie, does it matter who makes the profit?

Which is the entire point. They won't. Yet I guess that won't really bother you so much just as long as you get an overpriced and over hyped Star Wars themed ride in Disney Land. Listen, if you want to experience escapism from your average-day life, there are cheaper ways to do it. And ones that don't perpetuate a cycle of throwing our money at gluttonous conglomerates.

Corporations run everything; get over it. He idea of some monopoly man injecting his veins with stolen gold as he reams the consumer up the *** is an ill-conceived illusion drawn up lunatics, and which dwells in the same universe as Star Wars: FICTION.

I'll give you a few years to really experience what life is out in the real world before I'll take seriously.
chives1
chives1
27 posts
Peasant

Just how do they plan to do that? You can't just add to the Star Wars series... you can make crummy TV shows and maybe a few video games off the franchise, but you can't make more movies! That's a major no-no, especially for a hyper-capitalist company like Disney.

There are many, many books that have been written of events that have happened directly after the original Saga. Skywalker marries an ex-sith or something (haven't read them in a while) and Han's black friend runs a mining company on a planet that has a super-powerful sun near it.

It wouldn't be very hard at all for Disney to make tens of movies if they have the patience, time, and resources.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Skywalker marries an ex-sith or something (haven't read them in a while) and Han's black friend runs a mining company on a planet that has a super-powerful sun near it.
Mara Jade was an assassin working for the Emperor, as for Lando's mine, do you mean Dubrillion?

I agree that the New Jedi Order would be an awesome set of movies, but just isn't achievable, especially under Disney control.

~~~Darth Caedus
Squidbears
Squidbears
626 posts
Nomad

I really don't feel like reading through this whole thread to see if anything I'm about to say has been said before, but eh.
Star Wars being purchased by Disney is not a bad thing at all. Disney has released lots of successful movies recently that aren't about princesses and magic... Pirates of the Caribbean, The Avengers.. etc. Disney has a propensity to buy licenses then make very successful films despite all odds.
As far as my hopes of the next trilogy being based on the Thrawn trilogy... They were crushed either this morning or last night. Disney has released a statement that the new films will be a completely original story.
Lastly, as a parting statement, if they plan on using any of the characters from the original trilogy, casting will be a complete nightmare. I'm fairly certain Harrison Ford wants nothing to do star wars anymore, Mark Hamill has put on a bit of weight, as has Billy Dee Williams.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Which is the entire point. They won't. Yet I guess that won't really bother you so much just as long as you get an overpriced and over hyped Star Wars themed ride in Disney Land. Listen, if you want to experience escapism from your average-day life, there are cheaper ways to do it. And ones that don't perpetuate a cycle of throwing our money at gluttonous conglomerates.

Its rather funny how you seem to imply I'm some sort of no-life who needs a two hour film to live. But moving on to your arguments, a decent movie has to be made because they stand to lose on the franchise if they prove they can't provide decent material. From a profit standpoint, it's in their best interest to make a good movie as it will solidify and grow a fan base that will then spend money to watch later movies.

As for gluttonous conglomerates, George Lucas has said he will give most of his money to charities. So if he's a greedy fat cat scum sucker, he must not have gotten that memo.

I'll give you a few years to really experience what life is out in the real world before I'll take seriously.

Ageist, much?
awesomecoyoteman
awesomecoyoteman
17 posts
Jester

the first trilogy was enough. then they made it more awesome by making a 2nd trilogy. now theyve sold it off to some boasting little company that knows nothing of star wars and will downright RUIN it.

excuse me while i go throw myself off a cliff...

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,609 posts
Nomad

Everyone says the movie will suck although nobody has ever seen it because it has yet to be made. I would say, give Disney a chance and if they ruin it, erase your memory.

And btw, don't know if anyone said it, but George Lucas has donated all the momey from the Star Wars deal to a good cause.

Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

I don't see how the first three are as terrible as everyone is making them out to be. I mean, they're not the best movies I'd ever seen, but they certainly weren't terrible.

NO no no no i ment that i LOVE star wars and now they will ruin it
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

There is a small chance it will come out alright, unless the disney executives butt in and completely ignore the entire expanded universe.

~~~Darth Caedus

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

not a very big dan of star wars as it is so it doesnt really effect me.. but disney from what i seen is just as bad as 4kids/toonzai they mess up everything with their own versions of something else

dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,920 posts
Peasant

Am I the only one who likes the animated series....

With the re-release of The Phantom Menace recently I forgot that the most recent 3 films were already on a downward slide.

But everyone forgets Marvel is owned by Disney. And everyone was riding The Avenger's ***** sooo....

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Its rather funny how you seem to imply I'm some sort of no-life who needs a two hour film to live.

No I'm implying that you need a Star Wars Disney ride to live. Get it straight.

As for gluttonous conglomerates, George Lucas has said he will give most of his money to charities. So if he's a greedy fat cat scum sucker, he must not have gotten that memo.

Well, seeing as he is know to be a blatant hypocrite and BSer, I guess I'll believe it when I see his tax returns.

Ageist, much?

No, I simply have more experience in real life. In the real world. Start paying your own way and seeing past the veil of happy-go-lucky lies thrown at your through mass media and you'll see what I mean. Or not. They do say that ignorance is bliss, after all.
I was like you when I was younger. I fell for the cheery outlook presented to me. I did not think that things in the world could be as screwed up as they are. And then I grew up.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

No I'm implying that you need a Star Wars Disney ride to live. Get it straight.

Sill me. >>

Well, seeing as he is know to be a blatant hypocrite and BSer, I guess I'll believe it when I see his tax returns

Proof much?

No, I simply have more experience in real life. In the real world. Start paying your own way and seeing past the veil of happy-go-lucky lies thrown at your through mass media and you'll see what I mean. Or not. They do say that ignorance is bliss, after all.
I was like you when I was younger. I fell for the cheery outlook presented to me. I did not think that things in the world could be as screwed up as they are. And then I grew up.

You're giving too much weight to age still. I mean, you can't be too much older than I am, so the differential is minimal at best. And your entire point seems rather irrelevant seeing as that my conclusion was born out of cynicism:

Disney wants money.
Disney will make money if people watch their movies.
People will watch more movies if they are good.
Good movies will thus make more money than bad movies.
Good movies will make more money for Disney.
Disney will accordingly make good movies.

Easy as pie, derp. And lastly, I'd avoid trying to throw out claims about my personal life, which you nothing about. So to imply my arguments are null on self-injected profusions of your idea of what it ought to be is fallacious at best.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Proof much?

[url=http://savestarwars.com/lucasspeechagainstspecialedition.html]Speech George Lucas gave in front of Congress[/quote]
In that speech he speaks out against the alteration of movies in order to preserve them. Go read the speech and article with it, think about what he's done to his movies and tell me that he is not a hypocrite.

You're giving too much weight to age still. I mean, you can't be too much older than I am, so the differential is minimal at best.

Remember, you were the one to bring up age. I'd not even alluded to it once before you did. You just simply assumed I was using my perceived older age as a cudgel in the argument.
Showing 31-45 of 56