Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Sand Sandy, why you so angry?

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 5:12pm

thepunisher93

thepunisher93

1,859 posts

As you all know hurricane sandy is rocking USA from Florida to New England
with wind speed 110 mph and has paralyzed ordinary life in many states.
What are your thoughts about it?

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 5:21pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

wind speed 110 mph

we got that a few days about every autumn. and what a heard of a friend in NY. it was actually like that, just a heavy storm.
but then i really wonder why so much broke down. here it only trows over a few trees and roof tiles. at worst a car or 2. not complete buildings and such. =S

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 6:03pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,076 posts

Knight

The problem was not the wind. The problem was the water; there was a flood of 4 meters on that part in NY that lies between the two river arms; the metro, as far as I know over a hundred years old, was flooded; the water and wind, paradoxically, lead to locally massive short-circuits that started fires that burnt down whole areas.

At least that's what I've heard in the news, accompanied by some impressive pictures.

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 7:13pm

dair5

dair5

2,479 posts

but then i really wonder why so much broke down. here it only trows over a few trees and roof tiles. at worst a car or 2. not complete buildings and such. =S

The main problem was flooding, and that a lot of the wires that gave power weren't underground. Because of this, when some trees fell they took down the wires too and people lost power. Some places where completely unaffected. Unfortunately, others were damaged pretty bad and the subway was flooded. They're trying to substitute the trains with buses, but its really difficult.

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 7:39pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,196 posts

So yeah, apparently in 1996 or somewhere in the decade, New York ran this mock hurricane scenario to help better prepare the citizens in case one really did hit them later. They decided to name the mock hurricane after the lady running the scenario Sandy.

AND THEN they were affected by Hurricane Sandy in 2012. THEN they were affected. There's coincidences everywhere, you just gotta find them.

Posted Nov 2, '12 at 8:48am

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

The problem was not the wind. The problem was the water; there was a flood of 4 meters on that part in NY that lies between the two river arms

a 4 meter high flood does not break down entire walls.
also havn't i seen a pics or video showing this.
maybe you got a scource? i can't decide from just guessing.

locally massive short-circuits that started fires that burnt down whole areas.

ive seen the videos of a high-volt building exploding.
such things happend in more places then just that 1?

and that a lot of the wires that gave power weren't underground. Because of this, when some trees fell they took down the wires too and people lost power.

so the coastal city's are finally getting underground cabeling?
or will the same happen next time?

Posted Nov 2, '12 at 8:50am

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

btw, anyone knows if there were any deaths?

i mean, a 4 meter high flood usualy kills some people but i havn't heard of any.

Posted Nov 2, '12 at 12:09pm

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

btw, anyone knows if there were any deaths?

Over seventy people have lost their lives to Sandy. Do try to study a storm before saying it isn't powerful.
Also, 110MPH is enough to rip all sails clean off a mast, a similar fate met the Bounty, a tall ship that was trapped and sunk near Sandy's eye, claiming two lives.

Posted Nov 2, '12 at 9:29pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

Do try to study a storm before saying it isn't powerful.

never said that.

110MPH is enough to rip all sails clean off a mast,

sailing whit those winds is just stupid to begin whit.
sorry, but those people should have known that.

Posted Nov 3, '12 at 3:30am

Masterforger

Masterforger

1,633 posts

sailing whit those winds is just stupid to begin whit.
sorry, but those people should have known that.

A: At sea, storms can easily come from nowhere
B: Tall ships are incapable of harnessing any great speed without good winds, not to mention the Bounty was sailing near America's east coast, when her port of call was back in England.
Also, you seem to have neglected the fact that you completely ignored the deaths of Sandy. Why is this? I was in Ireland for the time, and I heard about it.

Reply to Sand Sandy, why you so angry?

You must be logged in to post a reply!