Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Atheists and Homosexuals

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 6:37pm

cbreezy623

cbreezy623

72 posts

As an atheist I am a victim of prejudice. (Nothing too serious it's more of an annoyance. Things like people telling me I'm going to hell, go to church, bla bla bla.) I was wondering who you guys think has it harder when it comes to prejudice and hate, gays or atheists? (I am in the US, where both groups are treated like crap.)

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 6:45pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,691 posts

Knight

It all depends. I've heard from people who are both gay and an atheist say how coming out as an atheist was harder and others say coming out as homosexual was harder. So I guess it's just the situation each individual finds them self in.

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 6:58pm

thebluerabbit

thebluerabbit

2,917 posts

my guess would be that being gay is more difficult. there are more atheists then gays in most places and usually the smaller the group the easier it is to hate it. also, people "can use" the unnatural excuse on being gay but they cant do it on being atheist (then again.... who knows how far stupidity can go)

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 6:59pm

Zophia

Zophia

8,407 posts

Overall? Very definitely gays.
Or have there been a bunch of hate crimes and unfair laws against atheists that I haven't heard of? ._.

Admittedly I'm not in the US and religion is much less of a big deal over here.

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 7:29pm

cbreezy623

cbreezy623

72 posts

believe it or not there are laws.

Arkansas:
"No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."

Maryland:
"That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.”

Mississippi:
"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state."

South Carolina:
"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution."

Tennessee:
"No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."

Texas:
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 7:47pm

SSTG

SSTG

11,115 posts

Knight

Wow, so many retarded states! :O

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 8:09pm

cbreezy623

cbreezy623

72 posts

Notice a pattern? All of those are southern states. And yes I do somewhat consider maryland a southern state.

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 9:08pm

Zophia

Zophia

8,407 posts

believe it or not there are laws.
[snip]

... Secularity failure. I didn't realize it was that bad. :/

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 9:11pm

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,553 posts

The thing is with those laws is that if it ever gets pulled to try and prevent someone from getting in office, it quickly gets struck down as being unconstitutional. They are carry overs from way in the past.

Posted Nov 1, '12 at 9:20pm

VonHeisenbourg

VonHeisenbourg

215 posts

Those laws sort of make sense considering that in the American anthem are the words "in God we trust". So... if you are an atheist and you don't believe in your own countries anthem why should you hold office?

I can see the logic behind those laws.

Reply to Atheists and Homosexuals

You must be logged in to post a reply!