Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

How old do you think the universe is?

Posted Nov 2, '12 at 9:29pm

dr_doughnut

dr_doughnut

72 posts

I don't personally believe in billions an millions of years, but I want to know what people think.

Posted Nov 2, '12 at 9:43pm

VonHeisenbourg

VonHeisenbourg

215 posts

When it come to how old the universe is, I think this website will give a fairly good answer:
[url=http://www.superstringtheory.com/cosmo/cosmo1.html]

Let me go a little off-topic now and discuss how old the totality of existence is. I think that is practically (as is not practical) impossible to answer, but alas I'll give it a shot.

Whether you are Christian or Atheist I think this answer would be generally agreed upon (however I may be). It (the totality of existence) is impossible to say because one cannot measure time in the sense as we know it now before the Big Bang Theory or even before (if there is one(s)) god(s) or God created or in the case of the Big Bang Theory expanded to create space and the universe as we know it.

I probably did a poor job of explaining myself, but that is the best I could do, sorry if it was at all unclear :)

Posted Nov 2, '12 at 9:46pm

VonHeisenbourg

VonHeisenbourg

215 posts

(however I may be).

Correction: (however I may be incorrect), oh and I said cannot when I meant can't.

Also, I don't seem to be able to link sites properly =.= I clicked the link tab at the top of this submit box, and copy-pasted the website html into it and yet it isn't coming out as a hyperlink, can anyone explain that to me?

Posted Nov 2, '12 at 9:58pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,691 posts

Knight

I don't personally believe in billions an millions of years, but I want to know what people think.

The evidence supports a universe that is roughly 13.75 billion years old.

Link fixed.
http://www.superstringtheory.com/cosmo/cosmo1.html

Also, I don't seem to be able to link sites properly

two ways
1. click the link button, past the url of the site, click okay, add the text you want to be a link, lick link button again to close link.

2. add text you want to be a link, highlight text you want to be a link, click link button, add url of the site you want linked, click okay.

Posted Nov 2, '12 at 11:18pm

VonHeisenbourg

VonHeisenbourg

215 posts

is this just a long way of saying. "we dunno" ?

I suppose it is a long way of saying "we dunno". Although I prefer to say a more professional way not "a long way of saying. we dunno".

Posted Nov 2, '12 at 11:34pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,691 posts

Knight

is impossible to say because one cannot measure time in the sense as we know it now before the Big Bang Theory or even before

One thing about this, time as we know it wouldn't have existed "before" the Big Bang.

Posted Nov 3, '12 at 12:01am

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,260 posts

Knight

To be honest, I think that it could be eons. For some reason, a billion doesn't seem long enough...

Posted Nov 3, '12 at 8:28am

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

I suppose it is a long way of saying "we dunno". Although I prefer to say a more professional way not "a long way of saying. we dunno".

but why make it harder then it is? to sound more interesting?

if you just come to the point you don't have to care that people wont understand.

I probably did a poor job of explaining myself, but that is the best I could do, sorry if it was at all unclear :)

Posted Nov 3, '12 at 8:32am

partydevil

partydevil

5,109 posts

anyway i got my own theory of cycles as i explained a few times already.
so the univers simple has always existed. there is no such thing as "befor the universe / creation".

Posted Nov 3, '12 at 9:30am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,691 posts

Knight

anyway i got my own theory of cycles as i explained a few times already.

Only problem with that is the likely shape of the universe make it unlikely.

Reply to How old do you think the universe is?

You must be logged in to post a reply!