ForumsWEPRHow old do you think the universe is?

219 78399
dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

I don't personally believe in billions an millions of years, but I want to know what people think.

• 219 Replies
SaifurRahman
SaifurRahman
70 posts
Blacksmith

Look on some religious books and average all of the dates of how old the universe is is a good way to find out.

wontgetmycatnip
wontgetmycatnip
95 posts
Peasant
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

What if Gene Ray was right?

Can someone please translate that from 5 year old speak? The grammar is so horrible and the sentences are so choppy I honestly have no idea what they are talking about.

Look on some religious books and average all of the dates of how old the universe is is a good way to find out.

How is that a good way? There's only one answer. Even if every answer was equally valid (which they aren't) then averaging them together would only achieve a equally invalid answer (something that no one agrees with).

Basically what you just suggested was that in order to find a good apple in a dumptruck full of rotten apples, we blend them all into a smoothie and drink that...when it wasn't even known if there was a good apple to begin with.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

mage i dont think i get a worty computer any time soon. (hopefully in a month or 2) so i'll have to skip this conversation untill then. sorry. (maybe the next time the shape of the universe comes up in a debate. i have learned more about the CMBR pictures)

on the parallel thing:
on 1st sight, yes they are parallel.
but when looking closer it isn't parallel. there is a slight difference in the angles of the lines. so they are not parallel.

Gogotank
Gogotank
3,165 posts
Lord

some trillion years I think

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

I've narrowed it down to somewhere between one Planck time and 15 billion years or so. I like to hedge my bets when it comes to things like the universe.

Pegasus16
Pegasus16
48 posts
Nomad

yah about 6000 years old.... Creation-wise

SubZero007
SubZero007
883 posts
Peasant

Well assuming the Big Bang Theory is correct, (the actual theory, not the show) then the Universe could be countless of cycles of expansions and contractions of years old.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Well assuming the Big Bang Theory is correct, (the actual theory, not the show) then the Universe could be countless of cycles of expansions and contractions of years old.

Given the probable shape of the universe this scenario isn't likely.
SubZero007
SubZero007
883 posts
Peasant

Given the probable shape of the universe this scenario isn't likely.

Please elaborate.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

cycles in the big bang theory?

=============

(sorry mage, havn't got time yet.)

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Please elaborate.

Just go back a couple pages. The universe is flat or at least close to flat. This means we are most likely to experience heat death where the universe just keeps expanding instead of a Big Crunch.
stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

I think it has always been. The big bang theory seems pretty accurate, but until we learn more (perhaps the next century will bring a new theory), it's all up to interpretation. I believe that it is infinite, both in size and time.

KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

6-8000 years old. God made it that long ago. Scientists try to take God out of our lives by making up ridiculous time periods that they have no way of proving AT ALL! At least I have written proof.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

At least I have written proof.

You have concrete written 'roof' of a rough estimate with a variance of ~30%?
Showing 136-150 of 219