ForumsWEPRHow old do you think the universe is?

219 78392
dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

I don't personally believe in billions an millions of years, but I want to know what people think.

• 219 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I would say about 50 trilion years.But,science says it's old about 50 bilion years.

Scientific estimates have it around 13.75 billion years.
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

13.75 Billion seems fine to me seeing as how I believe in the Multiverse. The main reason I believe in this is because I believe that our Universe had to come from another to actually be created, this has been studied by various scientists already and a lot of them say it's possible but to try and get the hard evidence for it isn't exactly a walk in the park.

Taken from Wiki: A generic prediction of chaotic inflation is an infinite ergodic universe, which, being infinite, must contain Hubble volumes realizing all initial conditions.

So basically this is saying that the first Universe of the 7 they talk about would of been a chaotic creation saying it is infinite and such. But then again this is just a prediction.

See the Big Bang couldn't have started everything in my opinion. The Big Bang itself in my opinion should or could have been created by another Universe or a Super Universe, basically what I am saying is that the M-Theory is on the right track, that's all.

Also, I think it's great to be open minded about these types of things, cause this way there are more people who are looking at different things and studying them, this is how it has always worked..

I'm not going to lie though the M-Theory is not a full proof theory, it's still being worked at.
Coq
Coq
30 posts
Jester

Lol it's not a matter of beliefs but proofs, it's around 13-14 billion years

TheGenovesan
TheGenovesan
65 posts
Nomad

@Coq, right now there is no &quotroof" but theories.I'm gonna take a wild shot at 50 billion years. Just because 17 billion doesn't feel big enough.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Coq, right now there is no &quotroof" but theories.

You do realize that in science that's the highest thing you can have. A theory isn't just some wild guess in science, it has evidence backing them up.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I'm gonna take a wild shot at 50 billion years. Just because 17 billion doesn't feel big enough.

Even 1 billion is more time than a human could ever comprehend, what good does it do to throw subjective numbers out in the wild if we have an estimate backed up by evidence?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Even 1 billion is more time than a human could ever comprehend, what good does it do to throw subjective numbers out in the wild if we have an estimate backed up by evidence?

Let's try to put it in terms people can relate to.
Let's say we could take each year and store it on a computer. Each year took up 1 megabyte of space. That would mean we would need a computer that had a 13.75 petabyte hard drive, or 13,750 terabyte hard drive.
SwordmasterQ
SwordmasterQ
29 posts
Nomad

The universe is as old as time itself.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The universe is as old as time itself.

Using time in such a general sense this might not be the case. For instance if we have multiple universes, time could exist in those other universes "before" this universe existed. Though time in the sense that we know it, this would be the case.
ptcdcs
ptcdcs
14 posts
Nomad

Scientific Analysis ranges between 13.75 Billion Years - 7 Trillion. So it is undefined but very old.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Scientific Analysis ranges between 13.75 Billion Years - 7 Trillion. So it is undefined but very old.

Do you have a source for this?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

13.75 Billion Years - 7 Trillion

That sounds random. Why, when giving a time range, making the minimum so exact compared to the max? Doesn't make any sense and gives me the suspicion you made up the 7 trillion.
wontgetmycatnip
wontgetmycatnip
95 posts
Peasant

That sounds random. Why, when giving a time range, making the minimum so exact compared to the max? Doesn't make any sense and gives me the suspicion you made up the 7 trillion.

There are a variety of ways to measure the age of the earth; as science marches on, we will find more and more precise ways to measure the age of the earth.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

What I was trying to say is, 13.75 billion - 7 trillion years is (if I get the American system right) a time interval of 6.98625 trillion. 0.01375 trillion more or less doesn't seem worth notifying in any serious proposition then.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester
Showing 46-60 of 219